Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Irish Films

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

pixelburp wrote: »
    Containing possibly the greatest line reading by a professional actor, ever:

THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE LIVING HERE!!

Such raw talent and he hasn't improved with age. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Not Irish themed, but made in Ireland with the assistance of The Irish Air Corps.

The Blue Max was one of four 'flying films' made here between the mid 60's and 1970, all involving the Air Corps in flying and technical support roles.. The Blue Max is still highly regarded for the real life flying of the specially built WW1 replica aircraft.

The WW1 trench scene at the opening of the film was shot at the base of The Sugar Loaf in Wicklow and the iconic railway bridge fly under scene was shot in Fermoy, Cork. The German aircraft base was located at what is now Weston airport, Lucan and the final 'test flight' scene was filmed at the Air Corps base in Baldonnell. It was a very big deal to have a major Hollywood studio film, made in Ireland at the time.

Air Corps cooperation with the film companies was withdrawn by the government in 1970 following a crash over Wicklow Harbour between a WW1 replica plane and a filming helicopter, while working on a flying scene for the UK produced film Zeppelin. Four people were killed, a camera man, two pilots and the director of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

pixelburp wrote: »
    Containing possibly the greatest line reading by a professional actor, ever:

THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE LIVING HERE!!

It's your one from Indiana Jones!

A great film I saw a few years back was Citadel. I never see it get mentioned much but it was a fantastic horror. Very chilling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

My own personal feelings for the film must be wrong then if Film Review 1989 didn't think it worthy of praise.

Personal feelings don't make a film great.

"The Run of The Country" and "The Playboys" both set in beautiful Redhills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

vriesmays wrote: »

Film Review 1989 does.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Day Lewin wrote: »
    How to cheat in the Leaving Cert (obscure, unavailable but my personal favourite, extremely Irish!)
    Damnit, you beat me to it! Loved that film when I saw it in the cinema.

Not a "great" by any means but a good cast, a great soundtrack and an enjoyable coming of age romp: Last of the High Kings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My list of completely Irish films would comprise of A Man of No Importance & Song for a Raggy Boy.

And one other notable one that was not Irish themed but was filmed in Ireland; The Great Train Robbery with Sean Connery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

How about forming your own personal feelings instead of deferring to those contained in a 30 year old book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Go home Yank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just watched return to glennascul on YT.
    Nice wee short. Loved the music.
    I suspect that Merryman was messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Perrier's Bounty, headrush. both very funny Irish.

safetyboy wrote: »
    Perrier's Bounty, headrush. both very funny Irish.

Yes, but hardly worthy of being listed among the 'greatest' Irish films?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Braveheart

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Excalibur. Does that count as an 'irish' film?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Last Of The High Kings.

E mac wrote: »
    Excalibur. Does that count as an 'irish' film?

By my criteria an Irish film can be a film about Ireland; a film shot in Ireland or a film with a predominantly Irish cast - which, of course, would probably be about Ireland. In the case of "Excalibur" it was shot in Ireland and had many Irish actors in the cast including Liam Neeson and Gabriel Byrne. It was financed from the USA and about a British legend but that is irrelevant.

Darby o gill and the little people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

The Quiet Man

(My mother watched over John Wayne’s kids during filming and was an extra in the film.)

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    The Quiet Man

(My mother watched over John Wayne’s kids during filming and was an extra in the film.)

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The Dead, John Huston's last film based on James Joyce's short story, the last scene when Donal McCann's character Gabriel discovers something about his wife's past never fails to get me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Two movies I liked that I don't see here are,

Man About Dog - Basically a pretty cool road movie , well worth a look, a few lads end up bringing a greyhound to the coursing Derby in Clonmel. Great laugh.

This must be the Place - Famed award winning Italian director Paolo Sorrentino. Sean Penn stars as a depressed, passed it rock star. Set predominantly in Dublin. Bono's daughter cameo's and a cool tribute to the famous Talking Heads song which shares the films title. Well worth a watch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm surprised the guard doesn't get more love. I thought it was excellent

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm surprised the guard doesn't get more love. I thought it was excellent

I liked "The Guard" as in I would happily watch it again. As for "Man About Dog" - some really belly laughs in it and another keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Most of my favourites have been mentioned, but here's some which I think haven't been:

In Bruges.
    Kisses (2008)
    Nothing Personal (2009)
    The Miracle (1991).
    Da (1988)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Jesus!
    How did we miss In Bruges?
    :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Don'y think I saw Mickybo and Me. Not up there with In Bruges of course but it was a good film I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

How many Irish films would appear in the professional critics' top 1000 of all time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Professional critics, their reviews, and their opinions, are just as subjective as the rest of us. They just use fancier words and more esoteric references to back them up, compared to your average viewer.

• Advertisement

How many Irish films would appear in the professional critics' top 1000 of all time.

Bore off you big child.

Advertisement