Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Irish Films

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭mistersifter

funny that nobody mentioned "Once" - since it was one of the most well-known Irish films of recent years abroad. Hansard must really get on people's tits here ;)

it's probably worth a mention in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Michael inside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

banie01 wrote: »
    So many other great Irish movies without even touching on animation ;)

Important to flag this as well! Cartoon Saloon is a legitimately world-class animation studio. In terms of their willingness to push themselves stylistically, they're almost without equal in terms of currently active animation houses.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It wouldn't win any "best of" awards, but I've always had a soft spot for Cowboys And Angels. It's still the only professionally produced feature film (that I know of) to be made in Limerick City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I liked the matchmaker and grabbers. Bothe funny and send ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Clash Of The Ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I really enjoyed "The man who wanted to fly".
    Opening segment of "Band of Brothers" was incredible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Surprised some are left out.

Surely Brooklyn counts as an Irish film. Follows an Irish immigrant, played by an Irish actress, and directed by an Irish director.

What about The Boxer too. Daniel Day Lewis and Jim Sheridan team up again. Could list most of their films, not sure if In the Name of the Father has had it's mention yet.

Staying on the Jim Sheridan role what about In America.

Bloody Sunday is another top film. Hunger should get a mention too.

Moving away from the IRA and Irish immigrant themed stories I went Down may not be a "great" film for many but is a very good one.

And oh I don't know, why not say Darby O'Gill and the Little People?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Am I the only one to feel Garage should get a mention? Ok, wouldn't go down as a great but a good film I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Inside I'm Dancing

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Smudger80

The Snapper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Smudger80 wrote: »
    The Snapper

Is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The Crying Game

Eat the Peach

How to cheat in the Leaving Cert (obscure, unavailable but my personal favourite, extremely Irish!)

My Left Foot.

Editing to add:

The Commitments

Another Shore (1948)

Am I the only one to feel Garage should get a mention? Ok, wouldn't go down as a great but a good film I thought.

Yes! A great film. Pat Shorty is amazing in it.

Also, The Butcher Boy; one of my all time favourites. Beautifully filmed, scripted, acted... and that soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Clash Of The Ash.
    A late '80s cult classic

Love it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just had a frightful thought.

If this thread had been posted 10 years ago, you'd have had a load of young lads insisting "Man About Dog" was the greatest thing since Citizen Kane. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

pixelburp wrote: »
    That was a film that really, really wanted to be a Tarantino feature. Hasn't aged too well IMO.

I have to say I'm impressed nobody has mentioned Fatal Deviation yet ;)

Find "Irish cinema" a tough beast to get into TBH. For me, cinema is often about escapism, so given how often Irish Film goes for gritty, domestic dramas above all else I simply stay clear of its output. If I do dabble, it's with genre outliers like Black 47, Siege of Jadotville or uh, Grabbers :D

I get What you're saying about it not having aged so well, I found it very funny though, and I got the feeling the producers were not worrying about appealing to a TransAtlantic audience which was refreshing to me at that time.

I just checked youtube and I see Fatal Deviation is up there, I have to watch that Again now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Always loved War of the Buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I don't know why there's so much negativity in this thread and judging from some of the posts people's viewing seems to be fairly limited. There have been tons of great Irish films.

Going back to early days of Irish cinema, the 1935 movie "The Informer", starring Victor McLaglen, is surely one of the most gripping films about the "Troubles" even though one can see how it's going to end from the beginning.

Several more excellent films about the Troubles include

The Night Fighters" (1960) starring Robert Mitchum.

Shake Hands with the Devil (1959) starring James Cagney.

The Odd Man Out" (1947) starring James Mason.

Harry's Game" (1982).

Other movies worth a look include:

The Blue Max (1965) starring George Peppard, James Mason.

Alfred the Great (1968).

Barry Lyndon (1975) starring Ryan O'Neal.

The First Great Train Robbery (1979) starring Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland.

There are literally hundreds of films worthy of mention as well as some major turkeys.

Of more recent interest:

Ryan's Daughter (1970)

The Field (1990)

Garage (2007) - Pat Shortt.

The Halo Effect (2004) - Stephen Rea.

The 3:10 to Claremorris (2010)

Grabbers (2012)

Whatever about being the best, The Commitments (1991) is still probably my favourite Irish film of all time, I never tire of its humour and recognise many of the stereotypes portrayed - great music too!

You can broaden your horizons by visiting my site here: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/ and then try and track down anything that grabs your attention. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

E mac wrote: »
      I Went Down.

You f**king man in bath ye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Glassland wasn't bad either. Toni Collette was the alcoholic mother in that. She's v good in those type roles - got an Oscar nomination from 6th sense and was in Hereditary too.

A couple of recent ones worth watching are Rosie based on a Roddy Doyle story and also the horror film The hole in the ground.

Never saw Goldfish Memory but meant to be good I think.

There's a documentary from 2003 called The Revolution Will not be Televised that was widely acclaimed. An Irish film crew got caught up in the Venezuelan coup against Hugo Chavez when they were there filming something else. Ended up in government buildings as the place was being stormed if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Del.Monte wrote: »
      The Blue Max (1965) starring George Peppard, James Mason.

Alfred the Great (1968).

You can broaden your horizons by visiting my site here: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/ and then try and track down anything that grabs your attention. :D

Thanks for the link.

What is the Irish connection with the two movies quoted above - is it just that they were shot in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Fatal Deviation obviously

Thanks for the link.

What is the Irish connection with the two movies quoted above - is it just that they were shot in Ireland?

That's the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Nobody has mentioned Taffin yet?

ballyargus wrote: »

Because the thread is about the 'Greatest' Irish Movies?

https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/t/

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I thought Float like a Butterfly was an excellent film

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ballyargus wrote: »

Containing possibly the greatest line reading by a professional actor, ever:

THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE LIVING HERE!!

Advertisement