Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend pizza in the city

• 17-06-2019 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

We are going to visit Galway city in a few weeks time and want to book a really nice Italian Pizza restaurant with nice wine anddeserts ?

What would you recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭ Skylar High Vaporizer

Papa John's on Eyre Square

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

Is Fat Freddy's still going?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1 QWERTYCG

there’s a place called Dough Bros that does fantastic pizza. The lads trained in Naples. They don’t take bookings..... you just rock up and join a queue. It’s worth it though!! It’s located 2 mins off the Main Street..... a Galway native will probably now the name of the streets it’s on. Enjoy!

It’s not a fancy Italian restaurant it’s more of a pop up feel but the food is fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Papa John's on Eyre Square

Not sure they have wine but they do have 99 cones for dessert ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

McGinns hop house down Woodquay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭puppydogeyes

Dough Bros , st Augustine st

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dough Bros , st Augustine st
    That'd be Middle St.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Dough bros don't do desserts though. You could always go to ginos for ice-cream afterwards! Da Roberta's in salthill is lovely too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Trattoria on Quay Street if you want the whole Italian restaurant with wine and desserts thing. Although you do have to try Dough Bros their pizza is briliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Depends on what kind of place you’re looking for too. Dough Bros is basically a fast food atmosphere - plastic cutlery and plastic trays, and big wooden benches. They still manage to charge a decent price though. If you want somewhere nicer try Il Folletto on Quay Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

QWERTYCG wrote: »
    there’s a place called Dough Bros that does fantastic pizza. The lads trained in Naples. They don’t take bookings..... you just rock up and join a queue. It’s worth it though!! It’s located 2 mins off the Main Street..... a Galway native will probably now the name of the streets it’s on. Enjoy!

It’s not a fancy Italian restaurant it’s more of a pop up feel but the food is fab!

I'd second this, Pizza is fantastic and it's a cool place but not a venue for a fancy dining experience although we always visit on our trips to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Thanks for all the replies......I would like posh enough place as it's for my friends 40th and she loves pizza wine and dessert !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Da Roberta's in Salthill sounds like the best fit. Not "posh" but more formal than Dough Bros with good waiter service, decent pizza, nice deserts and good selection of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Da Roberta's in Salthill sounds like the best fit. Not "posh" but more formal than Dough Bros with good waiter service, decent pizza, nice deserts and good selection of wine.

I second Da Robertas, it has more of a restaurant feel than the others mentioned and you can book a table. Good selection of food, pizza, pasta dishes and delicious tiramisu.
    It’s only a short drive/taxi into the city centre if you are going out after, or you could stay in Salthill as there are some nice pubs there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Been pretty disappointed in the quality of Pizza in the city now. I haven't been fan of ought Bros. Maybe the two times I tried it they were having a bad day or the oven wasn't really ready yet.

Bistro Bianconi out in westside a few years ago was excellent. Ed's New York Pizza in the Square was good too.

I liked Fat Freedy's when I had it years ago but my understanding was that it has changed hands a few times since. Monroes is alright but not a patch on the other two of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Fat Freddys is good, its a bit hipster-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭smurf492

kcdiom wrote:
    Fat Freddys is good, its a bit hipster-y.

It's there a lot longer than the hipsters

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I like wooza pizzas and they have opened somewhere like middle street, a sit down venture but I haven't been, just can recommend the pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Best pizza in town is Mona Lisa, opposite the Small Crane. They have some really nice pasta dishes too if there's others in the party that don't like pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

i like the pizza slice pace on cross steet next to naughtons, there greasy & salty as hell but delicious

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Da Robertas in Salthill is a nice sit down Italian does good pizza has a nice atmosphere from memory, if its a nice sit down you want I'd suggest there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I hear great things about la Collina in salthill but I've never been myself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Trattoria or Fat Freddy's for the Shop Street view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

****e Pizza in Fat Freddy's anytime i've been.... which is not recently I admit.

Dough Bros is great but no desert, try Venice just o the next street. It's more restauranty... with a wine list and all that craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Childrenswear

ArtyC wrote: »
    I hear great things about la Collina in salthill but I've never been myself ?

The food La Collina in Salthill is delicious and far, far superior to Da Roberta’s in my opinion (and you don’t have to listen to that awful piped music!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The food La Collina in Salthill is delicious and far, far superior to Da Roberta’s in my opinion (and you don’t have to listen to that awful piped music!)

How are they for pizza though? Ate there once and it seemed to be mostly pasta dishes from what I remember. Uncomfortable experience, lot of tables close together in the room upstairs, although the pasta was v tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Pizza & Pasta Napoli

Forget about wine and dessert though.
    For dessert and wine pick somewhere on Quay Street so that you can sit outside & watch the world go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Childrenswear

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    How are they for pizza though? Ate there once and it seemed to be mostly pasta dishes from what I remember. Uncomfortable experience, lot of tables close together in the room upstairs, although the pasta was v tasty.

Lots of pizza options and the pizzas are great, almost as good as that takeaway in Spiddal (which serves the best pizza in Galway, in my opinion). There are other dishes aside from pasta and pizza on the menu too. I thought the spacing of the tables was pretty much standard, but if booking for a special occasion I suppose you could ask for their best table which would probably be by the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

A bit further out, but very good, is the 12 Hotel/Pizza Dozzina in Barna. The pizzas are on the Bar Menu (The Pins). Good wine choice and nice deserts too. Also it's not as cramped as many restaurants.
    You can view the menu online.

Advertisement