Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About them Government people reacting to climate change lads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

No. What I'm saying is that by attempting to keep cars also on those routes something has to give. Just make the routes bus-only and, voila, you don't have to cut down the trees. But they won't do that, because there'll be too much moaning from motorists.

You want to prevent the existing homeowners from driving to and from their homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But the routes that will be affected will have public transport.
    Yeah but the motorists invariably come from other places that don't have enough transport. These routes are part of their journey.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You want to prevent the existing homeowners from driving to and from their homes?

Make it local access only, one way in, one way out
    is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah but the motorists invariably come from other places that don't have enough transport. These routes are part of their journey.

Then you get out of the car and get on the bus or a bike for the last leg. Or pick a different route.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,040 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Looks like a little bit of reactive action considering how well the greens did in dublin metro - Typical blueshirt window-dressing

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0617/1055694-climate-plan-government/

When you say "Bluehisrt" you're obviously refering to the 1930s, so a bit early for reactice climate change, no?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Make it local access only, one way in, one way out

Then you get out of the car and get on the bus or a bike for the last leg. Or pick a different route.
    In an ideal world all of these things would be possible. In Irish/Dublin urban planning not so much.

• Advertisement

When you say "Bluehisrt" you're obviously refering to the 1930s, so a bit early for reactice climate change, no?
    It's always been a kind of dumb political playground taunt and when most posters need to resort to Google it's even more useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don’t see any mention of curtailing immigration so as not to put further stain on our environment and scarce resources?

The governments always tells us what we need to do but they never look at what they need to do. All these extra people they are bringing into Europe aren’t going to live on fresh air alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The criticism starting to come in hard and fast now, one clear thing is that not enough alternatives or mechanism to get to the next level is at play.

The general election will really be a measure of how serious people are on this, will the prospect of having to shell out for a new car, increased taxes and ban on types of boiler spook those who were championing the greens in the local election.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Too many sticks, too few carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Calhoun wrote: »
    The criticism starting to come in hard and fast now, one clear thing is that not enough alternatives or mechanism to get to the next level is at play.

The general election will really be a measure of how serious people are on this, will the prospect of having to shell out for a new car, increased taxes and ban on types of boiler spook those who were championing the greens in the local election.

I'm not going to make my mind up on this plan until I hear the opinions of the Independents from Kerry. They seem to have a good grasp of the matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Surely we need to be moving away from private car ownership? Towns and cities are just completely littered and clogged up with them.
    The problem is ribbon development and one offs all over the country mean public transport is impossible to provide for most of the country. Shot ourselves in the foot there.

Surely we need to be moving away from private car ownership? Towns and cities are just completely littered and clogged up with them.
    The problem is ribbon development and one offs all over the country mean public transport is impossible to provide for most of the country. Shot ourselves in the foot there.
    Well, we are where we are(:D). How that transport conundrum can be managed is the big challenge.

Calhoun wrote: »

All that banning stuff is a long way away and if by criticism you mean Brian Stanley and Brid Smith I'd say the Government are quaking in their boots. There are some good basic principles in it but it was never going to satisfy everybody. What's done and how it's done over that timescale will be the proof of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The funniest I have heard about todays plan is the out right ban on the sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2030. That is in less than 11 years time.

I cannot wait to see how they deliver that notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What about people 5 miles from a village which itself is 7 miles from a town. Bloody townies think it’s all about you

cjmc wrote: »
    What about people 5 miles from a village which itself is 7 miles from a town. Bloody townies think it’s all about you

Exactly, and we continue to build houses in the middle of nowhere so unfortunately Ireland will always be very car reliant.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The funniest I have heard about todays plan is the out right ban on the sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2030. That is in less than 11 years time.

All of the big manufacturers are ramping up for EVs so the supply should be there. There will still be ICE cars on the road for up to a decade after but by 2040 they'll be all but gone.

Too many sticks, too few carrots.

History shows that if you use enough sticks, the carrots can serve as fine window dressing after the revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,221 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

LUAS and commuter rail are at maximum capacity, asking people to leave their cars at home doesn't make sense as capacity isn't there. I suppose the powers that be don't see over capacity when they are in their chauffeur driven car parking in their free parking space in Leinster House and claiming mileage for same, crowd of chancers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ireland is responsible for 0.13% of global emissions.

Paddy will dig deep to save the world. Hon Paddy

(You guilible eejit)

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Ireland is responsible for 0.13% of global emissions.

Paddy will dig deep to save the world. Hon Paddy

(You guilible eejit)

Why should we be exempt from reducing our footprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

is_that_so wrote: »
    All that banning stuff is a long way away and if by criticism you mean Brian Stanley and Brid Smith I'd say the Government are quaking in their boots. There are some good basic principles in it but it was never going to satisfy everybody. What's done and how it's done over that timescale will be the proof of it.

No I also meant Eamonn Ryan, Timmy Dooley and the rest criticising it and the vox pop by RTE was not very supportive.

As I said time will tell how well it goes over but if the narrative of punitive measures without viable alternatives keeps spinning we will do nothing with it as per usual.

The only way we will make this happen in a meaningful way is by helping people along.

Why should we be exempt from reducing our footprint?

This is a money grab.
    The "green wave" . 8% voted for the greens 92% didn't.

Any indication given today that the tax collected will be ring fenced for climate action? I didn't see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s fine, I, we’ll have hit “the singularity” by then and will be whizzing around in flying cars powered by “cold fusion” or whatever fancy power source will be available.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Exactly, and we continue to build houses in the middle of nowhere so unfortunately Ireland will always be very car reliant.

Will Leo swap me 50 acres where I live and farm for another 50ac near a town with transportation and everything else so I won’t have need to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Tax is this Governments answer to everything. It's time for a yellow vest movement here. I'm fed up paying huge taxes for poor services. But this 'carbon tax' is an absolute con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Deosnt go near far enough

_blaaz wrote: »
    Deosnt go near far enough

What else should they have added?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh so convenient for car manufacturers and our own SIMI, part of the cartel who screw the Irish motorist. Plenty serviceable older cars with years in them instead of wasting resources on new ones.

• Advertisement

cjmc wrote: »
    Will Leo swap me 50 acres where I live and farm for another 50ac near a town with transportation and everything else so I won’t have need to travel

Well you live and farm so you need to be there. Most people living in the middle of nowhere who are reliant on cars aren't farmers though.

Advertisement