Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About them Government people reacting to climate change lads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

"Government to consider new climate action plan" = ching ching, it's tax o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

The plan is 1 year in the making.

How is it reactive to an election held last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I'm seeing a lot of posts on Boards blaming the Greens for this, the Blueshirts for that, and anyone else for the rest, with f all substance. Ive been away for many years now and I know why.

*And I'm not a Leo fan

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of posts on Boards blaming the Greens for this, the Blueshirts for that, and anyone else for the rest, with f all substance. Ive been away for many years now and I know why.

*And I'm not a Leo fan

Closet FF'ers !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Some more info on it being leaked.

https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/revealed-how-climate-change-action-strategy-will-affect-you-38224591.html

To be honest its a complete waste of time.
    As long as the US, China, India and other developing nations all continue to heavily pollute what Ireland will actually do is about as good as pissing into a hurricane.
    Nothing will be done until a catastrophic event has occurred to force nations to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Blazer wrote: »

Nothing will be done until a catastrophic event in a first world country has occurred to force nations to change.

Fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ge incoming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Think it’s a step too far for one plan I’d imagine they’ll be quite a lot of kickback, banning petrol and diesel from town centers will be a non starter to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Think it’s a step too far for one plan I’d imagine they’ll be quite a lot of kickback, banning petrol and diesel from town centers will be a non starter to begin with.

Haha shur that's gonna happen anytime soon, sounds like another makie uppy policy, just to keep the punters happy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

I wonder how cutting down trees in Dublin to allow more cars into the city can be classified as 'green'?

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    I wonder how cutting down trees in Dublin to allow more cars into the city can be classified as 'green'?

They're cutting down trees and taking people's front gardens for buses not cars.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They're cutting down trees and taking people's front gardens for buses not cars.

That’s not entirely correct. They’re cutting them down to allow for buses and cars. If there were just bus lanes on most of those routes there’d be no need to cut down trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Might start by teaching youngsters not to throw crap everywhere.
    Anywhere they stop there's a pile of rubbish left behind.

What's our magical alternative to oil and gas heating (that won't cost everyone a fortune)? Gather the family around a burning barrel for a bit of heat?

That’s not entirely correct. They’re cutting them down to allow for buses and cars. If there were just bus lanes on most of those routes there’d be no need to cut down trees.

It's Busconnects, not Carconnects. It's our monorail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

What's our magical alternative to oil and gas heating (that won't cost everyone a fortune)? Gather the family around a burning barrel for a bit of heat?

I was wondering that myself, new builds to have gas and oil burners phased out by 2025; so what is the alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Said it at the time there was no "green wave" at the election. 8% of the vote means 92% didn't really care about green policies. Won't stop FG from taxing us all into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

kneemos wrote: »

Plenty so called fully grown adults driving out with black bags to dump them at night.
    Monkey see, monkey do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

The plan is 1 year in the making.

How is it reactive to an election held last month?

That's something I'd expect from a user named claptrap

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Looks like a little bit of reactive action considering how well the greens did in dublin metro - Typical blueshirt window-dressing

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0617/1055694-climate-plan-government/

A lot of input came out of a joint Oireachtas Committee, as in cross-party. It does fall on the current incumbents, whatever specious label people want to put on them, to get going on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

amcalester wrote: »
    I was wondering that myself, new builds to have gas and oil burners phased out by 2025; so what is the alternative?

Proper Insulated homes and heat pumps...actually some of these new super warm homes that are being build should include ventilation systems with help circulate air as well and heat and cool down the internal temperature but my in-laws didn't and they have serious damp issues until they installed one

So more bus lanes are a bad thing? Some roads are just far too narrow to accommodate and the tree cutting seems quite limited in its scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Blazer wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/revealed-how-climate-change-action-strategy-will-affect-you-38224591.html

To be honest its a complete waste of time.
    As long as the US, China, India and other developing nations all continue to heavily pollute what Ireland will actually do is about as good as pissing into a hurricane.
    Nothing will be done until a catastrophic event has occurred to force nations to change.

You're looking at it wrong. Highly developed European countries like Ireland need to take initiative on climate change in order to set a precedent for these developing countries.

I'm sure right now loads of people in India are saying "well if those rich f*cks in Europe are doing nothing then why should we?"

Climate change is a global issue and every country needs to take responsibility and not do the typical "whataboutism" bullsh*t that we're seeing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

As long as they are willing to fund the gap for switching I think we can start moving to were the suggestions are manageable .

They really need to revamp the grant system though as getting anything through it right now is a pain in the arse.

Otherwise what will happen is that this will start biting into people's pockets and will hit them in the polls and will be neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

kneemos wrote: »

Little country that fails to manage its own litter wants to change the global climate. :p Brilliant. Don't fault our ambition!

You have to trust our authorities to pass our money directly on to the climate. They'll make sure the climate gets every cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Cina wrote: »
    You're looking at it wrong. Highly developed European countries like Ireland need to take initiative on climate change in order to set a precedent for these developing countries.

I'm sure right now loads of people in India are saying "well if those rich f*cks in Europe are doing nothing then why should we?"

Climate change is a global issue and every country needs to take responsibility and not do the typical "whataboutism" bullsh*t that we're seeing now.

India has more than 300,000 dollar millionaires and a space program. Maybe the Indians should look elsewhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

is_that_so wrote: »
    So more bus lanes are a bad thing? Some roads are just far too narrow to accommodate and the tree cutting seems quite limited in its scope.

No. What I'm saying is that by attempting to keep cars also on those routes something has to give. Just make the routes bus-only and, voila, you don't have to cut down the trees. But they won't do that, because there'll be too much moaning from motorists.

No. What I'm saying is that by attempting to keep cars also on those routes something has to give. Just make the routes bus-only and, voila, you don't have to cut down the trees. But they won't do that, because there'll be too much moaning from motorists.
    Quite a lot of motorists don't have the public transport to get them to workplaces. Get that fixed to a good degree and then you can target the cars.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Quite a lot of motorists don't have the public transport to get them to workplaces. Get that fixed to a good degree and then you can target the cars.

But the routes that will be affected will have public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Proper Insulated homes and heat pumps...actually some of these new super warm homes that are being build should include ventilation systems with help circulate air as well and heat and cool down the internal temperature but my in-laws didn't and they have serious damp issues until they installed one

i know a couple of people with heat pumps retrofitted , apart from the cost of fitting their electricity bills are as high as my overall energy bills so not really seeing the benefit (and yes they did insulate the place as well).
    maybe on new builds but doesnt seem to work as a retrofit (on a v small sample size admittedly)

Advertisement