Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can patients access internet in UCHG?

Options
  • 16-06-2019 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

My sister has just been admitted as an in-patient in UCHG and will be there for a few weeks. Does the hospital provide internet for patients? If not, how do patients get access to the internet? Thank you.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

bagels wrote: »
    My sister has just been admitted as an in-patient in UCHG and will be there for a few weeks. Does the hospital provide internet for patients? If not, how do patients get access to the internet? Thank you.
    I'm actually In hospital now since last week will be here for next 4 weeks. Hospital provides wifi for guests that patients can use. I'm nearly sure every hopsital in Dublin does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You can use UHG guest WiFi using your own phone/tablet/laptop. The nurses will tell you the password (not sure if I’m allowed to post it here). It’s not very fast WiFi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

You can use UHG guest WiFi using your own phone/tablet/laptop. The nurses will tell you the password (not sure if I’m allowed to post it here). It’s not very fast WiFi though.

Thank you

If not, how do patients get access to the internet? Thank you.

Your own 4G on the phone? I don’t ever bother getting the WiFi in public places any more as it’s generally slow, congested and insecure. 3 or 4G is more than capable of dealing with anything you would be doing in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Your own 4G on the phone? I don’t ever bother getting the WiFi in public places any more as it’s generally slow, congested and insecure. 3 or 4G is more than capable of dealing with anything you would be doing in hospital.

3 sim Pay you GO 20 euro for all you can eat data for 28 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The connection can be quite touch and go depending on the location in the hospital, but I found it’s fine in the wards

Thank you

3 sim Pay you GO 20 euro for all you can eat data for 28 days

Thank you

The connection can be quite touch and go depending on the location in the hospital, but I found it’s fine in the wards

Thank you

I'm actually In hospital now since last week will be here for next 4 weeks. Hospital provides wifi for guests that patients can use. I'm nearly sure every hopsital in Dublin does this.

Thank you

• Advertisement

I should have made myself clearer, sorry.
    She doesn't have an 'internet' phone, she's hoping to use a laptop or tablet instead.
    Is the 3 Sim Pay As You Go suitable in this case?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

She doesn't have an 'internet' phone, she's hoping to use a laptop or tablet instead.
    Thanks

You'd still be able to connect to their network with a laptop or tablet

Thanks

If she is going to be in the hospital for awhile I would recommend getting a cheap 4g 3 phone and she can tether the phone to the laptop/tablet.
    3 offer all you can use data for 20 euro for 28 days and you can still use the phone credit as long as you top by 20 euro in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I would see how she gets on with the connection first before going down that road. I’ve never had any problems streaming/downloading/internetting in any of the wards but the connection does get a bit flimsy in other departments. Just ask the nurses for the password. Laptop or tablet should work fine

I would see how she gets on with the connection first before going down that road. I’ve never had any problems streaming/downloading/internetting in any of the wards but the connection does get a bit flimsy in other departments. Just ask the nurses for the password. Laptop or tablet should work fine

But the phone brings added security ,if it was me for the sake of a cheap 4g phone which be about 70 euro and another 20 for credit/Data , I think its def worth it. And if patient is under 18, 3 will have all the over 18 sites blocked.

Advertisement