Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Better Routeplanner - anyone using this?

• 13-06-2019 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,703 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A Better Routeplanner

Had a look just now and it seems to be very good. Takes into account your car make and model, its consumption (at various speeds), your starting percentage and minimum and target destination percentages

It tells me I can drive from Dublin to Cork city centre in 2:38 at the speed limits everywhere including just a 0:14 charging stop at Ionity Cashel

A quick look at the figures (including Ioniq's consumption) would suggest this is all pretty accurate

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I've been using it since before I even got my EV, much better than any othe other route planners I've seen so far.

You can even change weather/road conditions in the settings to see how it will affect range.

One thing I find annoying with wind direction though is it only lets you pick headwind or tailwind not the actual direction of the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There doesn't seem to be an app for it. And unfortunately, the chargers are not live.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

unkel wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be an app for it. And unfortunately, the chargers are not live.

Yeah no app but you can just pin it to your home screen so it's as good as more or less.

Yeah shame there's no live charging info, would be a great thing to get on the head untit of the ioniq.

Interesting to see I can make it from Dublin to Galway, Limerick, Belfast and even Donegal (Bundoran) without charging in my 28kWh car if I keep to 90km/h or 100km/h maximum, depending on the route. Even to Cork city centre if I stick to 75km/h :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Nice to see that it appears to be based on real world figures, it really helps to from our use case(s) to get rid of fossil fuel cars from our house hold......Forever :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Keep us updated Liam!

Does any ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 adapter work with Ioniq? I think I have one lying about somewhere. Never given it a try :o From memory, I think you have used it for Torque Pro app?

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Tried my trip from Cork to my parents in the midlands. It says I can do it in 2:47, including a 2 minute charge at the Ionity chargers in Cashel. €8 for 2 minutes :rolleyes:

Must tweak the consumption, because it also says from 100% i'd not need to stop at all (222km, arriving with 10% left) and my range has never shown more than 210km.
    The "next charger" option is nice though.

it also says from 100% i'd not need to stop at all (222km, arriving with 10% left)

It's probably saying you can only do that at 90km/h max. It did for me with anything a good bit over 200km

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Keep us updated Liam!

Does any ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 adapter work with Ioniq? I think I have one lying about somewhere. Never given it a try :o From memory, I think you have used it for Torque Pro app?

I just bought one at random from Amazon and it worked. Use it with Torque Pro.

• Advertisement

It's probably saying you can only do that at 90km/h max. It did for me with anything a good bit over 200km

I added in some extra weight, and some headwind and that seems a bit more realistic. Maybe one day i'd make the 222km on 1 charge, but my range meter hasn't given me that confidence yet (every day I belt up a hill and get 22+kw/100km consumption so it's not helping).

Notice the units they list..
    Units: Metric Imperial British:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

This is excellent -> thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Nice website. Thanks for sharing.

It's funny these days that we are giving out about spending €8 to fill our car up. While a few years ago many of us would have spent €100 to fill our ICE cars up :p

It's funny these days that we are giving out about spending €8 to fill our car up. While a few years ago many of us would have spent €100 to fill our ICE cars up :p

The different being the price is regardless of how much fuel is already in your tank.

I need to start bringing snacks with me on these long drives. Coffees, muffins, water etc in CircleK are totting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

40c per Kilowat seems expensive though and as previously mentioned it would only be worth it if you were looking for a quick top up otherwise the €8 would be cheaper or €7.60 if you use Newmotion card.

dbran

Just a heads up for anyone that uses A Better Route Planner, there's an app available now (on android at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

i read this thread about ABRP with interest but several posts stated that an App was not available and you had to use their website. I have just downloaded the App for iPad, updated yesterday it says, and it appears to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I plugged in a few long journeys that I do regularly and it got it spot on in terms of range and speed.

Make sure to put in the right temperature and a bit of wind in for good luck as well.

I had it hooked up to the live data using Torque. It was great to see how accurate the usage was across the journey.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    I had it hooked up to the live data using Torque. It was great to see how accurate the usage was across the journey.

Is that an integration the app has, or were you just manually setting ABRP based on torque data?

Is that an integration the app has, or were you just manually setting ABRP based on torque data?

ABRP has integration with Torque. You need to login to ABRP, choose your car and then follow the setup instructions. There are some custompids for ABRP but it works really well.

liamog wrote: »
    ABRP has integration with Torque. You need to login to ABRP, choose your car and then follow the setup instructions. There are some custompids for ABRP but it works really well.

Amazing! Would of loved this for my Cork -> Galway trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Humm, don't suppose there'd be any particular dongles you'd recommend to get that work with the Ioniq?

Thanks!

I bought one pretty much at random in 2017. It just worked, checked online and it's no longer on sale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I plugged in a few long journeys that I do regularly and it got it spot on in terms of range and speed.

Make sure to put in the right temperature and a bit of wind in for good luck as well.

I put in worst case scenario figures when planning a route with it. That way I have a bit of a buffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭10-10-20

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Humm, don't suppose there'd be any particular dongles you'd recommend to get that work with the Ioniq?

Thanks!

I was using the Vgate units (BT and WIFI) off Amazon, but both would go to sleep in multiple vehicles after 2 mins and were useless. I ended up going for the Carista one and it's perfect and works well with TORQUE.

The only niggle that I have are that TORQUE needs to upload the OBD2 data at 30 second increments to ABRT's servers, then ABRT needs to download this again to update the GUI. That's all too much faffing and it would be nice for the APP to support direct access to the OBD2 devices instead; but that's another discussion altogether.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bluetooth-Adapter-Scanner-Technology/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

€240 was my max, for an '88 Chevrolet Suburban with the "long range" pack (ie a 40 gallon fuel tank). 500 mile range but a pain to fill up!
    Now I find myself working out cost vs time to charge for Ionity vs ecars vs tesla, and there's only a few quid in the difference!

I downloaded the app and it's not really accurate for me, the Tesla onboard GOM (in the trip planner) is more accurate than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I used ABRP (via CarPlay) on my first long-distance journey since I got my EV in January. I found it was very useful.

However, the CarPlay version of the app is clearly designed for LHD cars. The CarPlay info strip is on the right in RHD cars and covers up a lot of information (battery charge level, speed limits). Also, the current route is much to far over to the right and tends to be covered up by other information while there's a large useless expanse of map off to the left of the screen.

There doesn't seem to be any way to change this behaviour, though. I'd gladly subscribe to the service, but they'll need to fix this first. A simple switch in the prefs would be nice, unless I'm missing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Advertisement