Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting Moycullen to city

Options
  • 12-05-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Using this post as I dont want to start a similar thread just for a different location.

We got a house in Salthill and have been living here since August. The location is perfect and we love living here but the house is tiny and the rent not so small. We could do with another bedroom and we are considering a house in Moycullen that is E400 less a month.

Has anyone any experience about the commute in from Moycullen in the morning?

I am working in Salthill and my wife in Knocknacarra. The kids are all in school in Salthill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Your main traffic blackspot would be around Newcastle, it can be quite slow on the N59 just outside the city and again into Newcastle, depending on timing. Certainly wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as travelling from Oranmore or other parts of the east of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Can I not come in from the Knocknacarra direction? Is that a bad road?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Made own thread as it's a different route from Oranmore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Can I not come in from the Knocknacarra direction? Is that a bad road?

Not a particularly great road (at all) but it would likely cut out alot of your traffic. I can't comment on how you'd feel driving those roads though, it would be likely best if you travel them yourself beforehand to see how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Try sticking the route into Google Maps and set the arrive/depart time for the time's you'd be travelling. It'll give you a decent view of commute times and the fastest route. To be extra informed, check the route at the actual time(s) each day and see real-time traffic info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

I used to live in Oughterard and travelled to Terryland every morning. To get in at 9am I had to leave at 8.00 but if I waited till 8.40 I'd be in at 9.10. So it's all about timing. Traffic heavy but moves from 7am then it starts to build at bushypark from 8am and by 8.30 it would be slow from moycullen all the way into Newcastle/nuig junction. After nine the traffic would be slow from the Westwood (or what was) in.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Drive in from Moycullen to Salthill..

Allow about 30 mins if you leave @ 8am..

Turn right up circular road - down through shantalla, maunsells road, taylors hill, roseary lane and onto Dr. Mannix Road.

For knocknacarra prob best to go up the back roads from bushypark to avoid traffic either
    1. coming in barna road
    2. heading west on seamus quirke road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

If you use the back roads it will cut your journey time massively. Moycullen is an ideal spot to live if working in salthill/knocknacarra. When going towards Galway from Moycullen take any of the right turns at Corcullen, Oranswell or the right turn before Glenlo abbey and it will bring you into Knocknacarra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Currently its a long traffic snake in from Moycullen from 7.15 on . moves but slow

If this were progressed it would be very doable on a bike
    http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2014/kelly-announces-%E2%82%AC2-million-greenway-galway-city-moycullen

It got PP from ABP but has totally stalled.
    I think I will mail a couple of the TDs to see what the story is seems like a straightforward route along no mans land ie the old railway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

youngrun wrote: »
    Currently its a long traffic snake in from Moycullen from  7.15 on . moves but slow

If this were progressed it would be very doable on a bike
    http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2014/kelly-announces-%E2%82%AC2-million-greenway-galway-city-moycullen

It got PP from ABP but has totally stalled.
    I think I will mail a couple of the TDs to see what the story is seems like a straightforward route along no mans land ie the old railway
    The problem that it isn't no mans land . It's owned by the adjoining land owners , there are even houses built on it or within 10/15 ft of it . Plenty of opposition to it yet .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Bullocks wrote: »
    The problem that it isn't no mans land . It's owned by the adjoining land owners , there are even houses built on it or within 10/15 ft of it . Plenty of opposition to it yet .

Similar to ring road opposition. Yet CPOs have issued for this project . Why not for the cycleway also surely a critical and hugely useful piece of infrastructure ? It would make any Moycullen to City travel very easy for those who were in a position to bike/run/scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Bullocks wrote:

There are houses in the city closer to passing traffic though. Cookes Corner for example. Parts of Bohermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

bobbyss wrote: »
    There are houses in the city closer to passing traffic though. Cookes Corner for example. Parts of Bohermore.

True - there are loads of streets all over the City that fit this criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

youngrun wrote: »

Any joy contacting the local reps?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please stay on topic, the current commute into Salthill/Knocknacarra from Moycullen

Advertisement