Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Fundraiser - Win a house

Options
  • 12-06-2019 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

I see this has become the new thing this year with Kilcock, Faythe Harriers and Cavan all running competitions to raffle a house.

It's an interesting idea, certainly scope for big revenue from a pretty simple idea. I'm just wondering though what sort of scrutiny these are under. Given the value of the prize, should an independent body be supervising entries and running the draw?

Does the GAA have a set of guidelines the club's/county boards must adhere to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Didn't realise clubs doing it now too? Roscommon seem to be the model, I've heard details of there's being used a few times. Can be very lucrative but It's not without its risks (unless you're getting the house for free). I know one or two who ran this and were very worried when ticket sales were sluggish

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

grimbergen wrote: »
    Didn't realise clubs doing it now too? Roscommon seem to be the model, I've heard details of there's being used a few times. Can be very lucrative but It's not without its risks (unless you're getting the house for free). I know one or two who ran this and were very worried when ticket sales were sluggish

Clubs are doing them now, as for risks, I think most would have a T&C to say they can amend the prize if they couldn't cover costs/sell enough tickets... but that wouldn't eliminate the reputational risk and hassle of changing the prize. A local club has the following T&C

"The Club reserves the right to cancel or amend the draw and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of any unforeseen circumstances or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

St Eunans in Donegal have done it twice now. Promoted more than a Pope's visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

They're becoming fairly popular alright. Meath are doing three as part of the fundraising for redeveloping Pairc Tailteann. Well one is done and two have to come. The boom is back!!

Advertisement