Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ICR Refurbishment

Options
  • 08-06-2019 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Looking at WANDERERS photos I learned two things I didn't know before:

1. There are rail tracks in Dublin Port and you can pluck new rolling stock off the ships and drop them onto these tracks and off they go which is class.

2. There is an ICR internal refurbishment going on.

https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/Officialevents/2019/Iarnrod-Eireann-22000-fleet-refreshed/i-hV9Cf9m

I think no2 is greatly needed. Those seats as they stood were horrible and uncomfortable.

I have a few questions for any nerds in the know:

1. A decent idea that was pro customer service is very unusual for CIE, who was responsible for this oversight and will they, as I expect they will, be terminated immediately for this departure from standard protocol? Once this competence is discovered it surely will not be permitted to stand under any circumstances?

2. Will this erase the difference between standard and FC on ICRs since the only difference now will be a lamp on the table? Could they now at least put the PREMIER carriages with an OPEN shop on the longer routes like Sligo and Rosslare etc giving some kind of perk for the longer passengers?

3.Is the entire 22000 fleet getting this upgrade?

4. Aren't the commuter sets due for a half life upgrade? or are they going to be replaced with the new rolling stock rented from the UK and / or the new electric stuff?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The tracks in the port preceed CIE. Why would they rip them up? How else is new stock/old stock to be moved off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Looking at WANDERERS photos I learned two things I didn't know before:

1. There are rail tracks in Dublin Port and you can pluck new rolling stock off the ships and drop them onto these tracks and off they go which is class.

2. There is an ICR internal refurbishment going on.

https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/Officialevents/2019/Iarnrod-Eireann-22000-fleet-refreshed/i-hV9Cf9m

I think no2 is greatly needed. Those seats as they stood were horrible and uncomfortable.

I have a few questions for any nerds in the know:

1. A decent idea that was pro customer service is very unusual for CIE, who was responsible for this oversight and will they, as I expect they will, be terminated immediately for this departure from standard protocol? Once this competence is discovered it surely will not be permitted to stand under any circumstances?

2. Will this erase the difference between standard and FC on ICRs since the only difference now will be a lamp on the table? Could they now at least put the PREMIER carriages with an OPEN shop on the longer routes like Sligo and Rosslare etc giving some kind of perk for the longer passengers?

4. Aren't the commuter sets due for a half life upgrade? or are they going to be replaced with the new rolling stock rented from the UK and / or the new electric stuff?

2 - I don't think it's been confirmed. Little pointless to provide different covers considering first class is rarely operated on the fleet these days.

3 - Yes

4 - The 2600/2800/2900 are in pretty good shape so cannot see a replacement internally.
    The tracks in the port preceed CIE. Why would they rip them up? How else is new stock/old stock to be moved off?

Back of a lorry.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Back of a lorry.

And that would suit the cargo trains too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The rails the fist ICR sets were delivered on to at Ocen Pier are long gone and tarmac'ed over. The later half of the order, sets were delivered at Waterford instead.

Sure the DD Enterprise Stock and the 8500 DARTs were all delieverd onto rail right off the Point Depot spur and rolled through the Point Depot car park into Northwall Yard. Rails that are all long gone now.

The Belmomd MK3s were sent back by road, the trucks drove into Northwall wall off the tram way and rolled off onto the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

2. Unknown as the design for the refurbed Premier Class is not locked in as far as I'm aware.

3. Entire fleet is due to receive the mid-life refurb.

4. They are due and it has been discussed, especially on the back of the feedback from the ICR refurb but lack of workshop space is the main crux of the issue according to Peter Smyth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Great to see them adding USB ports.

I know this is a refurb, so you can only work with what you have got. But I hope for future fleet orders that they try and position the USB plugs and sockets between the seats, like I've seen on trains in Italy.

The position by the window is obviously awkward to use for the person sitting on the outside if they aren't there with family or friends.

Also, I hope they continue to install plugs, USB is great for phones, but you still need a plug socket for laptops, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Personally, I'd prefer the provision of snack cars on likes such as Dublin/Rosslare rather than USB ports - I suppose we could have both? Also some sort of internal baffles/walls etc. like their used to be in the Mk.II.s which would help reduce the noise level - from passengers - which is quite overpowering sometimes. Much as I hate to admit it, a trip by Express coach can be a more relaxing experience from a peace and quiet point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Personally, I'd prefer the provision of snack cars on likes such as Dublin/Rosslare rather than USB ports - I suppose we could have both? Also some sort of internal baffles/walls etc. like their used to be in the Mk.II.s which would help reduce the noise level - from passengers - which is quite overpowering sometimes. Much as I hate to admit it, a trip by Express coach can be a more relaxing experience from a peace and quiet point of view.

The snack cars are rarely open on the 22s, its only guaranteed if there are two members of catering staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I thought that was IE's job:

1. Rip up railways, killing as many off as possible
    2. Hemorrhage red ink, as much as possible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

The rails the fist ICR sets were delivered on to at Ocen Pier are long gone and tarmac'ed over.

The later half of the order, sets were delivered at Waterford instead.

Sure the DD Enterprise Stock and the 8500 DARTs were all delieverd onto rail right off the Point Depot spur and rolled through the Point Depot car park into Northwall Yard. Rails that are all long gone now.

The Belmomd MK3s were sent back by road, the trucks drove into Northwall wall off the tram way and rolled off onto the rails.

Just saw this now, exactly what' I'd have expected, I feel more reassured now knowing they are as dumb as I expect them to be.

They can't help themselves. They will always do the dumbest thing, always always always always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So the belmonds came back by road, not surprising.. They were on the back of a lorry.. That had come back from Scotland... Ón a ferry. How else were they going to get from a rail works in Scotland to Dublin? They couldn't have got to the ferry port in the UK by rail because the guage is different.. Road transport is cheap and flexible... It would have been a logistical nightmare and stupidly expensive to try bring the carraiges any other way..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Belmond was fitted out at a facility in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If I'm not mistaken didn't a locomotive once be delivered to Ireland by airplane?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If I'm not mistaken didn't a locomotive once be delivered to Ireland by airplane?
    The first 201 came in via Antonov to ensure it met a delivery timeline for driver training. The rest came by ship

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The rails the fist ICR sets were delivered on to at Ocen Pier are long gone and tarmac'ed over. The later half of the order, sets were delivered at Waterford instead.

The first sets were delivered to Alexandra Road Extension near the old Coastal Containers complex, not Ocean Pier and is still in situ up to the entrance gates of the complex, second order went to Waterford, final batch delivered to Dublin IWT extension.

bk wrote: »
    Also, I hope they continue to install plugs, USB is great for phones, but you still need a plug socket for laptops, etc.

They recently tendered for 6000 sockets for fitment to rolling stock so no fear of their being no plugs!

Markcheese wrote: »
    So the belmonds came back by road, not surprising.. They were on the back of a lorry.. That had come back from Scotland... Ón a ferry. How else were they going to get from a rail works in Scotland to Dublin? They couldn't have got to the ferry port in the UK by rail because the guage is different.. Road transport is cheap and flexible... It would have been a logistical nightmare and stupidly expensive to try bring the carraiges any other way..

They came from Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Just saw this now, exactly what' I'd have expected, I feel more reassured now knowing they are as dumb as I expect them to be.

They can't help themselves. They will always do the dumbest thing, always always always always.

those rails went across the Eastlink roundabout and through the carpark of the Point, so they weren't the most useful operationally. There are several rail-connected quays still in the port and also in Waterford.

Advertisement