Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Parliament rules

Options
  • 08-06-2019 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I remember years ago there was some directive that the commission dreamed up and apparently 70% of MEP's would have to vote no in order to reject it. I am only wondering is this the case for everything the EU parliament votes on or did I get the wrong end of the stick altogether? Where would one find more information on how this works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,117 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I remember years ago there was some directive that the commission dreamed up and apparently 70% of MEP's would have to vote no in order to reject it. I am only wondering is this the case for everything the EU parliament votes on or did I get the wrong end of the stick altogether? Where would one find more information on how this works?
    The European Parliament decides all questions that come before it by a simple majority of members voting.

It's the European Council - made up of Ministers from Member State governments - that decides some questions by a qualified majority (and some by unanimous vote).

It's wrong to say that this is something "dreamed up" by the European Commission. The Commission has no power to tell either the Council or the Parliament how to take decisions or what procedures to use. It is the the Treaties which provide for the Council to decide certain matters by qualified majority vote.

It's also wrong to suggest that it requires a qualified majority in the Council to negative a proposal. Where qualified majority voting applies, it requires a qualified majority to accept a proposal.

Advertisement