Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Council 2019-2024

Options
  • 08-06-2019 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Thought it might be worthwhile to have an ongoing thread about the Council.

Looks like history was made with the first every pact without Fine Gael or Fianna Fail.

Independents, Greens, Social Democrats, and Labour control the pact. Mike Cubbard is elected as the first Mayor of the 5 years.

FF/FG threw a romp according to reports and Ollie Crowe refused to be in the group photo. Should be an interesting 5 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Threw a romp? A romp involving councillors is not what I voted for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

They’re an embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Mike Cubbard is elected as the first Mayor of the 5 years
    "Your Worship" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah, Mike Cubbard's a decent and hardworking guy in fairness. Glad to see him as Mayor, he deserves it as much as anyone has.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,675 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They’re an embarrassment

What does that say about the people who elected them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Ah, Mike Cubbard's a decent and hardworking guy in fairness. Glad to see him as Mayor, he deserves it as much as anyone has.
    He has multiple times, gone out of his way to furnish info/help, to ppl he knew couldn't vote for him when their elected rep couldn't be bothered/ignoring them.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What expenses do councillors get?

Do the overnight expenses have to be vouched (B&B, 3,4,5 Star hotel ? ) or can councillors stay with family members or can they sleep in their cars and claim?

bobbyss wrote: »
    Do the overnight expenses have to be vouched (B&B, 3,4,5 Star hotel ? ) or can councillors stay with family members or can they sleep in their cars and claim?

What did you find when you googled your query and read through the associated information?

• Advertisement

What did you find when you googled your query and read through the associated information?

Googling a query? Who said anything about googling a query?

The link you mentioned gave I think the basic salary, €16,000 approx. It mentioned the amount of one or two claimants. Some other stuff which I can't remember.

It didnt (as far as I know ) indicate what type of accommodation claimants could stay in. I don't think it mentioned whether you have to provide receipts to make a claim although I am open to correction on that. It didn't mention anything about staying with relatives and making a claim either.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Googling a query? Who said anything about googling a query?

The link you mentioned gave I think the basic salary, €16,000 approx. It mentioned the amount of one or two claimants. Some other stuff which I can't remember.

It didnt (as far as I know ) indicate what type of accommodation claimants could stay in. I don't think it mentioned whether you have to provide receipts to make a claim although I am open to correction on that. It didn't mention anything about staying with relatives and making a claim either.

Sigh, see attached I guess

Took all of 30 seconds to find with a simple search

Took all of 30 seconds to find with a simple search

Sigh, see attached I guess

I'll have a look later on. Thanks for going to the trouble. I appreciate it. But then if you're going to start moaning about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have been to conferences where a lot of county councillors attended. Invariably a carload of at 3-4 would arrive, sign in, spend half the morning on their phone, stay for the free lunch then head off. Pretty sure there would be 3-4 separate mileage and subsistence claims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Zzippy wrote: »
    I have been to conferences where a lot of county councillors attended. Invariably a carload of at 3-4 would arrive, sign in, spend half the morning on their phone, stay for the free lunch then head off. Pretty sure there would be 3-4 separate mileage and subsistence claims.

Did they all wear robes?

Zzippy wrote:

I tbought this expenses business and vouching for same was a big controversy about ten years ago. Thought everything had to transparent since then. I had heard about councillors sleeping in their cars/staying with relatives and then claiming. Surely all that has been sorted and every councillor's expenses are 100% transparent and above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,675 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »

Pity the people from the county cannot manage to elect better-quality councillors so.

Advertisement