Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waterford city, a place for outsiders to visit? yay or nay

Options
  • 05-06-2019 9:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

lads I just noticed there a bus with "waterford city" written on it. worth a visit? how long is the ride? worth a day trip? a bit of a borefest? The girlfriend is from the Mediterranean and desperate to see a bit more of the island and I've worn out most other places to visit with her, to be fair, she loves our shops (centra and londis especially) but you'd need a small zoo there and maybe a nice place for a pint is that where tayto park is?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Tayto Park is in Meath.

Where are you living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"We'll have no trouble here"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

It's a local place for local people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

lads I just noticed there a bus with "waterford city" written on it.

I noticed a bus with 'Out of Service' on it.

I've never found one going to Service.
    I bet it's a magical land.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved to Waterford forum, please take note of the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What the feck? This thread will be no fun at all in the Waterford forum.

move it back.

Thank this post to move it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Not a Waterforder but enjoyed a daytrip there last year. Reginald's tower was worth a look. Lots of viking stuff. Might be newer to a Med person than us. Have a blaa for lunch. Have a pint on one of the pubs on the quay. There is the crystal factory/shop too but I didn't go there. If it is a cheapish fare I'd go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If you can plan a visit to co-incide with a bridge lift, its a fantastic experience.

Join the locals with a bla and a can of Tenants on a plastic sheet, to enjoy the spectacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

If you can plan a visit to co-incide with a bridge lift, its a fantastic experience.

Join the locals with a bla and a can of Tenants on a plastic sheet, to enjoy the spectacle.

Hi Roger - thing's a bit dull over in Cork? Killing time in the Waterford forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

lads I just noticed there a bus with "waterford city" written on it. worth a visit? how long is the ride? worth a day trip? a bit of a borefest? The girlfriend is from the Mediterranean and desperate to see a bit more of the island and I've worn out most other places to visit with her, to be fair, she loves our shops (centra and londis especially) but you'd need a small zoo there and maybe a nice place for a pint is that where tayto park is?

In my opinion - yes.

If you're hopping on a bus down you can go to the likes of Waterford Crystal, Museum of Treasures and all that Viking-ey stuff in a day, or two if you're down over a weekend maybe.

If you have access to a car people here will tell you lots of beautiful coastal locations that'd be also worth visiting.

Not sure where you've been already, but Galway actually has nothing to see in itself, but has all the atmosphere. Waterford at times can be the opposite, with lots of tourist attractions but lacking in atmosphere.

Limerick is similar to Waterford in terms of things to do. Cork City actually has very little to draw a tourist in my opinion. Kilkenny is like a smaller version of Galway and has a castle which in fairness is very worthwhile to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Living and working in Waterford coming up to 2 years now, from Cork originally. I only got to see the city and outskirts properly the last few months what with sorting out different things in the house and work.

I have to say, I really like Waterford and especially the people here. Ok so the town can be pretty much dead after 5pm Monday to Friday and there is a little bit of insularity from some of the long termers in the city, in that if you aren't one of their buddies from Day 1 of birth to now, its true, they wont really want to get to know you at all so if you have an introverted personality, that attitude may be construed as unfriendly. But if you put yourself out there and can have a bit of a chat (being a Cork man that's no problem) you can find some top notch lovely people to get to know. Case in point I was in a lovely pub called Craftsman the other week having food and then a few pints for the match and I got chatting to 2 locals who were very open, friendly and inviting, so much so ill be back there again very regularly!

The sights of the Viking triangle and museum and the beaches of the coastline are brilliant places to spend your weekend and there are a few decent pubs like Geoffs and Kazbar to meet up with mates of an evening. Cant comment on restaurants yet as I have only tried Kyoto and I wasn't too gone on it. As a tourist there is definitely enough, between the Greenway and the town to get a few days out of it and if you are anything like me, you appreciate drinking where the locals drink and can get a bit of satisfaction from the outside areas. That's my 2 cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

Come down the first weekend in August to see Waterford in all its glory

http://www.spraoi.com

Regards
    Fox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Hi Roger - thing's a bit dull over in Cork? Killing time in the Waterford forum?

Was hoping for some epic bantz from the oldest city in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

:D:D:D:D

Yeah them bridge lifts are something magical alright. A very unique experience that cant be got anywhere else in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

alta stare wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

Yeah them bridge lifts are something magical alright. A very unique experience that cant be got anywhere else in the world.

Finished off with a bag of dilisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I wouldn't use the destination that appears on the front of a bus as an incentive to visit a place...you could end up in some seriously dodgy locations....then again if she views Centra and Londis as favourite shopping destinations, she doesn't sound very discerning.

For the record, the OH and I went on a weekend break to Waterford a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. It's more like a large town than a city feel but a fair bit to do (good choice of restaurants and bars) and pleasant to walk around. A day trip or an overnight trip might suffice.

Advertisement