Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google maps routing issue

Options
  • 05-06-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭

Having been driving on the same route to work for about 9 years, Google Maps has begun routing me via a longer route and is refusing to send me via a certain road.

I travel from north Kildare to Inchicore. I leave the R148 (old N4) after Palmerstown and travel down to Chapelizod. I then drive up Saint Lawrences Road, on to Ballyfermot Road. I turn right onto Sarsfield Road and the right again onto Grattan Crescent and into Inchicore. What's happening of late is that Maps does not want me to travel onto Grattan Crescent at all.

Below is an example of the routing it is giving me from just before the turn off onto Sarsfield Road with my normal route highlighted in yellow which I am still taking. Is this something that can be reported to Google or is there possibly something that has changed or will soon change to make this route change seem more sensible?

482008.PNG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are all your turns (still) legal?

It may be that the east end of Sarsfield Road has been incorrectly flagged as bus-only in both directions.

Google Maps are notoriously difficult to contact and are generally unresponsive. There is a "Report a Problem" button on the bottom right of the Google Map (this seems to alternate with a "Send Feedback" button).

Wouldn't M50-Naas Road or Kylemore Road be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Victor wrote: »
    Are your turns legal?

Yes, all legal and above board. Sarsfield Road is one way for private vehicles. There is a contraflow bus lane on it however I travel in the legal direction. Grattan Crescent appears to be the road that Maps no longer likes. It does everything it can to avoid travelling on Grattan Crescent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

If you know the way yourself ,why do you need Google maps?

Not trying to be funny, just dont understand the logic..

Dexter2019 wrote: »

Because my expected arrival time at work is no longer accurate. Depending on which alternative route that maps is suggested to me, my journey time can be showing as being over 10 minutes longer than when I travel via my normal route.

I use maps for my commute mainly as a tool to estimate my journey time rather than the actual routing but if the routing is wrong, then my journey time is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have noticed this lately as well, Google maps giving bizarre and unnecessarily long routes. Mostly within Dublin in my case.

I can't give specific examples unfortunately, but it's puzzled me for a few months now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Dexter2019 wrote: »

It's excellent for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor wrote: »

Thanks for clarifying that. I had assumed that Grattan Crescent was the issue because even when I drive onto Sarsfield Road anyway, when I get to where I would turn right onto the Crescent, Maps would insist that I travel onto Inchicore Road, onto Chapelizod Bypass, South Circular and onto Emmet Road towards Inchicore......quite a trek instead of the 250m or so of travelling along Grattan Crescent.

Advertisement