Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every Body Should Watch Out For The LUAS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Well people are just making them earn there 4% pay rise this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

General stupidity and complete lack of awareness... seems to be quite common these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

The car that crashed into the Luas...was that an airbag from the dash or to cover the window? seemed like it was blocking the window

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    The car that crashed into the Luas...was that an airbag from the dash or to cover the window? seemed like it was blocking the window

Curtain airbags. Drop down from above the door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It appears as though there is an alarmingly high number of members from each road user group who are unobservant.

I don't know if it is a sense of entitlement that has resulted in members of the public being aloof when it comes to being street smart or if schools themselves have ceased teaching students basic road observation skills.

In any case, we need to start instilling the public with a better sense of personal responsibility from junior infants onwards. Perhaps, we need a module (maybe 10 minutes a week) to teach them how to look out for potential dangers in the public realm.

Many of the people in the video are fully fledged adults which would tell me that they were never indoctrinated with the luxury of these important life lessons. Either that or they weren't paying attention when these lessons were being doled out.

Now, if I were operating a tram, I would certainly beep the horn or ring the bell when the signal is green for me in case someone is unaware of my presence. Nevertheless, it shouldn't have to come to this as personal responsibility (in my opinion) is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The whole story just screams "yet another reason not to live in Dublin" at me.

Perhaps they are doing this for population control.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I wonder how many of those that got hit by the tram tried to make claims against Transdev for their own stupidity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I wonder how many of those that got hit by the tram tried to make claims against Transdev for their own stupidity...

Well when they payout to a brain dead tram surfer then you can see why some chancer might fancy their odds of a nice payout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't know if it is a sense of entitlement that has resulted in members of the public being aloof when it comes to being street smart or if schools themselves have ceased teaching students basic road observation skills.
    no-one died of stupidity when i was a child, but everyone is dying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Josepha Madigan would advise each of those individuals to claim.

Idiots judges would award payouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Curtain airbags. Drop down from above the door

I'm not a driver so never knew about them. Are they designed to stop your head bashing to the right /side as opposed to forward? or to stop any debris from coming in the window from the thing you crash into?

It appears as though there is an alarmingly high number of members from each road user group who are unobservant.

In any case, we need to start instilling the public with a better sense of personal responsibility from junior infants onwards. Perhaps, we need a module (maybe 10 minutes a week) to teach them how to look out for potential dangers in the public realm.

Many of the people in the video are fully fledged adults which would tell me that they were never indoctrinated with the luxury of these important life lessons. Either that or they weren't paying attention when these lessons were being doled out.

Now, if I were operating a tram, I would certainly beep the horn or ring the bell when the signal is green for me in case someone is unaware of my presence. Nevertheless, it shouldn't have to come to this as personal responsibility (in my opinion) is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

A friend works in the emergency room in St Vincents hospital, and apparently, people have this look on their face when they get into accidents, beyond normal shock symptoms. They just don't think things can happen to THEM. No no that happens to OTHER PEOPLE ...on the news...not to me. It sounds absurd but it's how people think unconsciously.

I was picking a mountain bike up from a service today and had to cycle it home in the rain. I wanted to put my hood up but couldn't because it was obscuring my view left and right and I was too concerned I'd not see something fast enough. Sure enough, as I pass the cycle lane in front of a house driveway a car shoots out without pausing to look (they were I assume going to stop before the ROAD but the cycle lane comes before it and they were thinking about avoiding cars not bikes), I already had my hands pumped on the brakes due to the slower reaction time when they are wet. If you don't apply a tiny bit of pressure all the time you won't stop in time when they are wet. I'd have crashed into his bonnet and went sailing over it.

I'm this cautious because I've had a couple of near death experiences, so I'm extra aware that the universe does not consider me anything but eminently disposable, and I therefore respect the wrath from high atop the thing. But most people do not respect the wrath, they think me me me me me me me I've gotta go where I'm going f---k everyone else, there are no OTHER people in the world who might get in my way no no me me me me me and with the new normal of narcissism in our society that's gotten worse.

I also think, and I'm so sorry if this insults anyone, though everyone is offended by everything these days so f--k it. But...I think Gen z and a lot of us millennial are, in many ways, dumber than our predecessors. I don't mean less educated, if anything were way more (though still lacking critical thinking skills getting news from facebook headlines ..headlines...not even reading the stories). I honestly think social media has dumbed us down and shortened our attention spans. The amount of times I've seen TLDR! is depressing. Teachers are starting to notice it in schools too, they can't get them to FOCUS for long on anything. I think this accounts for things like those two twats (sorry...) giddily falling in front of a Luas that was right in bloody front of them.

Social media has it's ups but IMO it's done WAY more damage to society than any good, it's making people feel like sh1t because it's used as personal propaganda and younger people think everyones perfect except them as nobody puts the bad stuff in their lives up there by and large, and it's messing with the attention span.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The whole story just screams "yet another reason not to live in Dublin" at me.

Perhaps they are doing this for population control.

There's an Irish rail crossings equivalent don't the media rounds for the culchie folk.

The only safe place to be is now in Donegal, far away from anything on tracks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    I'm not a driver so never knew about them. Are they designed to stop your head bashing to the right /side as opposed to forward? or to stop any debris from coming in the window from the thing you crash into?
    side impact air bags. to protect your head from impact. we once arrived on the scene of an accident where a car had spun and had multiple collisions (none significant thankfully) but the inside of the car looked like a hurricane had hit a curtain factory.

The only safe place to be is now in Donegal, far away from anything on tracks.
    and as long as you steer clear of the roads.

Advertisement