Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L drivers, cars taken

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

Isambard wrote: »

If you need a year driving illegally, you really aren't very good at it.

I had a lesson before my first test, 8 months after starting driving, a week before it, to get the nonsense bits right.

Instructor gave me tips, said the driving in general was grand, few pointers like never to cut over the line when turning inwards, that sort of thing.

Had another the night before the test, said he saw no reason I'd fail.

I failed. And failed two more (Dublin). Which from what I recall seems to be the average. All the day after the instructor was of the opinion that I was a fine driver and there was no reason I should fail the test- and this was driving in the dark, one night in monsoon rain.

By the last lesson he was essentially stuck for pointers to give me, as he couldn't understand how or why they were failing someone of my standard.

That is a lot of money to waste because nerves got in the way or, in one case, I got a kunt of a tester who had a bee in his bonnet because I'd parked a good distance from the test centre in the rain and he was roaring the lights checks at me from the start.

As said before, in 2019 there's no reason they shouldn't be video and audio recording the test. It would be interesting to see what pass rates are then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭bmc58

It's amazing how many learner drivers think they are wonderful drivers and yet are unable to pass the test.

There is no way they will be back-pedalling now to allow unaccompanied driving, just get on and get through the test or stay off the road.

Was going to Cork last Friday on the M8,doing a steady 115/120 km ph when a L driver shot past me in the outside lane and was gone.I was hoping he/she (never saw the driver) would be caught by the cops.The speed they were going was scarey.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As said before, in 2019 there's no reason they shouldn't be video and audio recording the test. It would be interesting to see what pass rates are then.
    Longer waits due to less testers, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

the_syco wrote: »
    Longer waits due to less instructors, IMO.

Plenty of instructors around, lack of testers though, no dount many have been threatened, insulted, maybe even assaulted etc when someone doesn't pass their test

the_syco wrote: »
    Longer waits due to less instructors, IMO.

Why would testers be opposed to recording tests? Afraid of a discrepancy in their previous pass rates?

Says it all so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the idea is you drive in a manner where you can stop if an incident occurs. This includes reversing. You have to demonstrate you can manouevre the car safely in a variety of scenarios. Your observation during that reverse is part of what they are testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Plenty of instructors around, lack of testers though, no dount many have been threatened, insulted, maybe even assaulted etc when someone doesn't pass their test
    Yup, wrong word. The tester would need to explain each fail in a 3,000 word essay to cover their own ass should they fail someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

. Not to mention my insturctor (one I took right before tests) said to never move off if there's traffic or people at all visible- the tester marked me down for this one as I waited until the main road was completely empty. .

How do you move off in a town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

I had a lesson before my first test, 8 months after starting driving, a week before it, to get the nonsense bits right.

Instructor gave me tips, said the driving in general was grand, few pointers like never to cut over the line when turning inwards, that sort of thing.

Had another the night before the test, said he saw no reason I'd fail.

I failed. And failed two more (Dublin). Which from what I recall seems to be the average. All the day after the instructor was of the opinion that I was a fine driver and there was no reason I should fail the test- and this was driving in the dark, one night in monsoon rain.

By the last lesson he was essentially stuck for pointers to give me, as he couldn't understand how or why they were failing someone of my standard.

That is a lot of money to waste because nerves got in the way or, in one case, I got a kunt of a tester who had a bee in his bonnet because I'd parked a good distance from the test centre in the rain and he was roaring the lights checks at me from the start.

Hi,

When I was an instructor and if I did not know why my pupil was failing the test I would be very worried. It would mean that I did not know the driving test syllabus or simply put, the difference between safe and potentially dangerous driving.

My advice would be to try and find a good instructor, take a lesson or two and you could well change your opinion of the driving test.

Good luck/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

bmc58 wrote: »
    Was going to Cork last Friday on the M8,doing a steady 115/120 km ph when a L driver shot past me in the outside lane and was gone.I was hoping he/she (never saw the driver) would be caught by the cops.The speed they were going was scarey.

How do you know it was an L driver?

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »

If the sign says L you have to assume it's a learner driver. Otherwise there's no point having L plates.

Should be the case that a qualified driver should remove them or obscure them.Magnetic L plates are freely obtainable.

Lets not forget those who drive with both an L & N plate, bloody stupid

Lets not forget those who drive with both an L & N plate, bloody stupid

If you,as a qualified driver, are driving within the parameters of the law, and driving in a courteous and considerate manner, then can you explain how other cars having N and L plates on them could possibly affect you?!?

If you,as a qualified driver, are driving within the parameters of the law, and driving in a courteous and considerate manner, then can you explain how other cars having N and L plates on them could possibly affect you?!?

A learner and a novice cannot be in the drivers seat at the same time and nor can a novice supervise a learner. Having both plates on the window obscures the drivers view. Rarely do people display the 2 of them on the bonnet or boot door. If you think it’s safe then you are entitled to your opinion.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Magnetic L plates are freely obtainable.

I tried magnetic L plates when I first started learning years ago. Within a week the front one was gone, came clean off the car while driving. Money down the drain.

Maybe they've improved in the mean time.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I used them without problems on my work van with my Son driving.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd imagine your van has quite a vertical front face, so less easy for air to get under it and lift it off. I was driving my dads car at the time which had a high, flat bonnet which exposed it badly I suspect. Might suit some cars and not others.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'd imagine your van has quite a vertical front face, so less easy for air to get under it and lift it off. I was driving my dads car at the time which had a high, flat bonnet which exposed it badly I suspect. Might suit some cars and not others.

I guess so, the bonnet angle was roughly 45 degrees. Of course there's no point having it unless it can be seen, so a magnetic plate would only be useful on a forward facing panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's gas how you people get so mad over people like myself driving with L plates up. It doesn't effect you whatsoever, except for the fact you might start tailgating me with them up, but that's more on the following driver than me.

If you think two plates is obscuring someone's vision you're delusional. My rearview mirror blocks my view more than the plate down in the corner because I'm tall.

I drive a Golf, I have very good visibility all around. You're complaining about obscured vision, how about the fact everyone driving a crossover has less rear visibility, or the fact a lot of cars have narrow rear windows like the CHR, Mokka X etc..

You guys must have a very easy life if that's the biggest issue in your day.

I've used magnetic plates in the past. The GF will get in trouble if caught without them whereas I won't get in trouble for driving with them up.

wrong way around isn't it. Ireland's Laws and enforcement need a full overhaul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭bmc58

A big RED L on the back window.

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

When I was an instructor and if I did not know why my pupil was failing the test I would be very worried. It would mean that I did not know the driving test syllabus or simply put, the difference between safe and potentially dangerous driving.

My advice would be to try and find a good instructor, take a lesson or two and you could well change your opinion of the driving test.

Good luck/

Thankfully it's a monkey many years removed from my back but there's plenty of reasons one can drive perfect with an instructor yet fail in the test. Nerves, difference of opinion between the tester and instructor on correct driving (would could be not understanding the rules on either end) and the tester being a kunt, simply..
    How do you move off in a town?

Moving off to do the reverse I mean. I was told they would fail you if you did it with any pedestrians or cars in sight, at any distance. I got marked down for following this advice, although I thankfully passed the test. Of course, another tester might have marked me down for NOT following this advice.
    the idea is you drive in a manner where you can stop if an incident occurs. This includes reversing. You have to demonstrate you can manouevre the car safely in a variety of scenarios. Your observation during that reverse is part of what they are testing.

By driving in a dangerous manner?

If absolutely necessary, test this on a street that has a large green area on the corner, where any approaching children or animals can at least likely be seen from a distance. It is simple, there is zero way that a motorist can see every single area behind and to the side of the car while doing the manouever, leading to a ridiculous risk of an animal or small child approaching.

Not to mention the time I had to do mine with rainfaill twice as bad as what Dublin experienced today, so bad one simply couldn't see anything out the back window bar the lights of approaching cars.

It's amazing any qualified driver could regard the test as a good gauge of driving ability.

bmc58 wrote: »
    A big RED L on the back window.

But all that means is that the person driving MIGHT be a learner. Not necessarily. The car might be used by someone who’s learning to drive. But the driver on that day may very well be qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

But all that means is that the person driving MIGHT be a learner. Not necessarily. The car might be used by someone who’s learning to drive. But the driver on that day may very well be qualified.

The solution is to prohibit the use of such symbols by persons who are not learners and stop every car with only one driver and an L plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

So prosecution for forgetting to take L plates down, then get prosecuted again because you forgot to put them back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Halfdane

The solution is to prohibit the use of such symbols by persons who are not learners and stop every car with only one driver and an L plate.

The guards are never around to catch actual learners who drive unaccompanied, let alone qualified drivers who happen to drive with them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

We need a fleet of mobile car crushers. Unaccompanied learned driver caught, car crushed on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Halfdane wrote: »

The guards are never around to catch actual learners who drive unaccompanied

If that is true, then it begs the question as to why this thread actually exists!

(I did see in my rear view mirror that he wasn't slowing but I had no option of moving anywhere so I could not prevent the accident)..

Beep the horn next time and that might prevent it happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

id say most who drive unaccompanied take them down now, slim chance of getting caught unless you drive like a idiot or car defect , brake lights etc or no tax/ insurance on car.

Advertisement