Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Examinations Superintendent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I always ring. They need an ETA for the assistants at least. Though this time 2 calls resulted in answer machine so I left a voicemail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I always do it anyway but most of the time they have zero interest. One exam secretary left 3 voice messages on my mobile whilst I was in the distribution centre despite having given my estimated time of arrival to the school when I got the letter.
    Same goes for checking my roll against theirs for changes. No interest in that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Qwerty2018

Just a quick question!

I got placed in a school last minute today that is 98km away according to google maps but this takes me on ridiculous back roads! If I choose going by motorway it’s 1 minute longer and the distance is 104km. I am just wondering will I get overnight pay if I write down the motorway distance?

I do not want to start paying for a hotel if I will not be reimbursed for it!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 star_123

Hi folks. I was on a distribution panel and got placed last minute. I feel a bit like a deer in headlights working my way through all the paperwork. There's one thing I can't seem to find an answer to. What do we do with the package the exam papers come in that have been signed by a witness? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Qwerty2018 wrote: »
    Just a quick question!

I got placed in a school last minute today that is 98km away according to google maps but this takes me on ridiculous back roads! If I choose going by motorway it’s 1 minute longer and the distance is 104km. I am just wondering will I get overnight pay if I write down the motorway distance?

I do not want to start paying for a hotel if I will not be reimbursed for it!

Thanks

I'd email and get confirmation - someone let them down at the last minute and you are willing to travel at least 98km and if they can't pay you the overnight for the extra 6km - tell them you're not doing it either. I would get an email to confirm this though! Fair play to you for doing it!!

• Advertisement

star_123 wrote: »
    Hi folks. I was on a distribution panel and got placed last minute. I feel a bit like a deer in headlights working my way through all the paperwork. There's one thing I can't seem to find an answer to. What do we do with the package the exam papers come in that have been signed by a witness? Thanks in advance.

The bags are returned in the stationary box.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 star_123

The bags are returned in the stationary box.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Qwerty2018

I'd email and get confirmation - someone let them down at the last minute and you are willing to travel at least 98km and if they can't pay you the overnight for the extra 6km - tell them you're not doing it either. I would get an email to confirm this though! Fair play to you for doing it!!

I have started to fill out the form and wrote down the 104km! Hoping they won’t check!

I send an email and see what response I get!

Thanks for the reply!

Qwerty2018 wrote: »
    I have started to fill out the form and wrote down the 104km! Hoping they won’t check!

I send an email and see what response I get!

Thanks for the reply!

They do check but I don't think every form. I'd say they will give you the 104 as it's the most direct route and you're doing them a very big favour.

Go with the safer option. I took the lesser mileage route from the distribution center and was regretting it. I wouldn’t even called it a road I drove on. Disgraceful. At least i’ll be going a somewhat better route in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I am on the paid reserve panel and had to wait in the distribution centre today to see if I’d be assigned a centre. I wasn’t and am now on call until next Tuesday. Does anyone know how much notice they give in the mornings if called up to fill in for someone?

star_123 wrote: »

At the end of session it goes into the stationary box and sealed. Same goes for any unopened packages too. Shoot away with any questions , some of us have been doing it for years.

One piece of advice , leave your day to day instructions open in front of you for the session. Highlight the important parts of that day. Use it as a checklist before the exam starts. Once you’ve got your centre roll done ( pink or yellow depending on level), have your advice sheet for that session open in front of you to jot down absences/ toilet breaks/change of levels etc. Also have the blue report book on standby (with your plan) in case the inspector calls in ( he signs p2 of that).

Have a good day tomorrow and remember it’s better to start late than make a mistake!

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    At the end of session it goes into the stationary box and sealed. Same goes for any unopened packages too. Shoot away with any questions , some of us have been doing it for years.

One piece of advice , leave your day to day instructions open in front of you for the session. Highlight the important parts of that day. Use it as a checklist before the exam starts. Once you’ve got your centre roll done ( pink or yellow depending on level), have your advice sheet for that session open in front of you to jot down absences/ toilet breaks/change of levels etc. Also have the blue report book on standby (with your plan) in case the inspector calls in ( he signs p2 of that).

Have a good day tomorrow and remember it’s better to start late than make a mistake!

Someone was reading the golden rules for superintendents :)

Best of luck everyone tomorrow. Once you have one session through - the rest will run like clockwork. Now to bed all ... 8:30am in your centres.

:) !! It’s so true though. Don’t be frightened to ask questions either.

Sleep well superintendents .

:) !! It’s so true though. Don’t be frightened to ask questions either.

Sleep well superintendents .

+1 for this. Ask the superintendents in your school if you need help. I did it my first year and it took the stress out of superintending for the first/second time until you're confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Go with the safer option. I took the lesser mileage route from the distribution center and was regretting it. I wouldn’t even called it a road I drove on. Disgraceful. At least i’ll be going a somewhat better route in the morning.

Did you take that route knowing there was a better road?

You don’t have to take the route that they will calculate your expenses from. For people who’s school is closer to their centre they get mileage from their school rather than home, they aren’t expected to take that route though.

No it was the only route that I could get from the distribution centre which is a good distance from my home. People told me since I could have went a different way but I don’t know the area so went with google maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No it was the only route that I could get from the distribution centre which is a good distance from my home. People told me since I could have went a different way but I don’t know the area so went with google maps.

They wont check everything unless there's a discrepancy (they do random spot checks though).
    We were told they just plug the 2 locations into google maps so don't fret it.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Actually hold on a sec. When you say "people told me" do you mean other superintendents?

I remember when I did it one of the more senior teachers said that we should all compare our routes as that's how they look for discrepancies.
    But really wouldn't be a bucket of cash in the difference.

It's mad the way we worry about inadvertently overclaiming a couple of Euro. Yer too honest postgrad

• Advertisement

Let me explain again. I mentioned I didn’t know the area and google maps took me on the route which was the lesser milleage option from the distribution centre. I will be coming from a completely different direction to the school every day , roads are not that good this way either but won’t damage my car like the route from the distribution centre. I would have been safer ( in hindsight) returning towards home from the distribution centre and headed from that direction to the school to set up. Longer but safer.

The caretaker gave me the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

What are the padded envelopes on our stationery box for? Anyone know?!

To go with new pink envelopes , suspecting cheating with phones/ smart watches.

Aquals wrote: »
    What are the padded envelopes on our stationery box for? Anyone know?!

Good size for accepting bribes from candidates !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Is anyone else yet to recieve their advance payment? I finished yesterday and still haven't got it. I've heard others have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

What's the logic behind sending 'Advice Lists' back on a Wednesday? I've another exam amárach and then I'm finished so I'm wondering could I wait and just send them all back tomorrow?

gaiscioch wrote: »
    What's the logic behind sending 'Advice Lists' back on a Wednesday? I've another exam amárach and then I'm finished so I'm wondering could I wait and just send them all back tomorrow?

I presume it's to do with the online marking - updating the system if candidate changes level/doesn't turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I often wonder why/how the supervision is paid so promptly with written examiners often waiting until November or so.

• Advertisement

The sooner you get your finance form in the sooner you get paid. It’s 30 working days from when they receive that. They’ve been spot on with both my superintendent and examiner pay .

Advertisement