Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carers allowance application process

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

dmcguq10 wrote: »
    Best of luck, its a long tough process

Yes, mine took 9 months as I had to complete the habitual residency stuff as I've only ever worked in NI, although I live here.

After I saw the social welfare inspector, I got the letter saying I was successful a couple of weeks later.

I hope your application is successful too

jmcgill16 wrote: »
    Question for anyone who's been through this - my neighbour applied for Carers last September. She got refused in early January and sent in additional documents for review in mid January. She hasn't heard anything since, but a letter saying she'd been awarded a free travel pass, and then a new PSC card with free travel on it, arrived for her in the post last week. Nothing else since.

I told her I presumed thats a good sign - does anyone know if that mean shes gotten it, and the free travel section just sorted things faster than the Carer's Allowance section? I can't find anything on Google about this happening.

That is odd, I'd suggest she phones the Carers team Monday morning.

When I got my acceptance letter, it had details of applying for the PSC card, as I didn't have one at that point. It had the free travel on it when it came through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

kathleen37 wrote: »
    That is odd, I'd suggest she phones the Carers team Monday morning.

When I got my acceptance letter, it had details of applying for the PSC card, as I didn't have one at that point. It had the free travel on it when it came through.

The ops neighbor probably had a public service card to start with whereas you haden't hence having to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jmcgill16

Thanks for the replies. I asked and she did have a PSC card prior to this, so the new one probably came out fairly quickly because it was just a case of them updating that I guess.

For anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation: the letter from Longford arrived to confirm she'd been awarded Carers about 2 weeks after her new PSC card with the free travel. I'm delighted for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

jmcgill16 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I asked and she did have a PSC card prior to this, so the new one probably came out fairly quickly because it was just a case of them updating that I guess.

For anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation: the letter from Longford arrived to confirm she'd been awarded Carers about 2 weeks after her new PSC card with the free travel. I'm delighted for her!

Thank God

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Med101007

Hi everyone.

I am just filling out the Carers Allowance form now and have a question regarding the financial resources section.

Both myself and my partner have current accounts in the Bank of Ireland and AIB respectively. We also have separate savings accounts in the Credit Union.

Do I have to put down our Credit Union account details and get statements from each account? I have small savings in my CU account but my partner has close to 10k that he has been saving for the past 5 years.

Med101007 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I am just filling out the Carers Allowance form now and have a question regarding the financial resources section.

Both myself and my partner have current accounts in the Bank of Ireland and AIB respectively. We also have separate savings accounts in the Credit Union.

Do I have to put down our Credit Union account details and get statements from each account? I have small savings in my CU account but my partner has close to 10k that he has been saving for the past 5 years.

You are advised to put whatever savings you have down in the form but whether people do or not is another story

Don't they need to see statements though?

Is 10k above the limit? I can't remember what they are (tried to block out that application process...)

Hi everyone.

Yes you have to give them all your financial details. That’s what a means test is.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Med101007

Is there any point in applying for Carers Allowance if my partner's savings are over 10k?

• Advertisement

Is there any point in applying for Carers Allowance if my partner's savings are over 10k?

Yes there’s every point in applying. The means test for Carers is very generous. The waiting period is very long so just fill in the form as best you can and get it sent off. How much has your partner got in savings? Is it a joint account?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dmcguq10

Quick update

Rang up carers appeals office today they recieved all the original letters I posted to Longford (when I originally applied last May 2018) on the 16th Feb 2019. They also recieved updated prescriptions and consultant letters as well as upcoming dates with consultants.

They said they are just waiting on deciding officier to take a look at all the evidence. Couldn't give me a timeframe though.

Quick update

Rang up carers appeals office today they recieved all the original letters I posted to Longford (when I originally applied last May 2018) on the 16th Feb 2019. They also recieved updated prescriptions and consultant letters as well as upcoming dates with consultants.

They said they are just waiting on deciding officier to take a look at all the evidence. Couldn't give me a timeframe though.

If your claim is sucessfull you will be backdated to when your claim was received by the department

lulu1 wrote: »
    If your claim is sucessfull you will be backdated to when your claim was received by the department

Backdated from when the original claim was recieved or the appeal?

Backdated from when the original claim was recieved or the appeal?

I stand to be corrected but I think when the original claim was received

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Hey lulu1, sorry to be a hassle, you've been great at answering so far. I got approved and received my first payment, but it wasn't backdated. Any idea when I will get the backdated amount?

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Hey lulu1, sorry to be a hassle, you've been great at answering so far. I got approved and received my first payment, but it wasn't backdated. Any idea when I will get the backdated amount?

It’s at least 8 weeks at the moment, and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s at least 8 weeks at the moment, and counting.
    Ooof. Thanks for the answer though, much appreciated.

OK

It's a very frustrating process. Does anyone know how long the appeals process actually takes? Appealed in November and all information was only received in Feb. Its still awaiting to be seen by the deciding officer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

what is the cut off for means testing?
    My wife is taking care of her father and I'm not sure if there is a point applying if I earn over X

DeadParrot wrote: »
    what is the cut off for means testing?
    My wife is taking care of her father and I'm not sure if there is a point applying if I earn over X

Anything over €900 gross is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

hi there..

i just got a text message from the department saying..

"your carer's allowance claim has been received. The outcome will be issued in writing."

so any guess how long i'll have to wait before i get a decision?

thanks,

fryup wrote: »
    hi there..

i just got a text message from the department saying..

"your carer's allowance claim has been received. The outcome will be issued in writing."

so any guess how long i'll have to wait before i get a decision?

thanks,

Anything between 13 and 16 weeks. Maybe more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you're joking :eek: (please say you are)

* if i'm approved will my payment be back dated?

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you're joking :eek: (please say you are)

* if i'm approved will my payment be back dated?

Unfortunately he's not. I applied last May got rejected in November, appealed and i'm still waiting.

Rang up and was told I won't get a decision for another 6-8 weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

can't get my head around this..whats the delay? is there only two in the office up there in longford?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 catherinebrady

I got a letter on the 17th May to say I was granted the carers benefit for my Mother. I had to send back details from my employer stating when I would be reducing my hours. I got a letter on the 28th of May stating that my carers benefit will run from the 13/06/2019 to 09/06/2021 does this mean I don't qualify for the Carer's grant as my first payment is on the 13th and online it states •Caring for the person for at least 6 months - this period must include the first Thursday in June. Any advise greatly welcome

I got a letter on the 17th May to say I was granted the carers benefit for my Mother. I had to send back details from my employer stating when I would be reducing my hours. I got a letter on the 28th of May stating that my carers benefit will run from the 13/06/2019 to 09/06/2021 does this mean I don't qualify for the Carer's grant as my first payment is on the 13th and online it states •Caring for the person for at least 6 months - this period must include the first Thursday in June. Any advise greatly welcome

No you won’t get it this year as you weren’t entitled to Carers on the first Thursday in June.

• Advertisement

can some please answer my question above, why the big delay

Advertisement