Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for permanent parking space for mobile home.

Options
  • 03-06-2019 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

My father is soon retiring and winding down his business after 25 years in operation. Unfortunately, due to the downturn of the economy of the last number years, he is limited in retirement funds and has opted to reside in a mobile home going forward. He is seeking a small plot of land to either rent or purchase (preferably purchase) and develop his new home on and so am enquiring if anybody may know of something available in the region of 1/2 acre (or even possibly less)? Budget would be anything up to 10k.

I have trawled the internet and auctioneers for something suitable but have come up with nothing so far. Anything in his price range is either lacking planning permission or is designated as farm land only.

If anybody knows anything that may be available to rent or purchase within 25 miles of Galway City, please let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Presumably you want a place that has planning permission for a permanent dwelling? ... good luck with that.

Is he on the council housing list? Does he know that there's a special list for older people, an he would get placed faster, likely in an elderly-and-disabled specific development.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Presumably you want a place that has planning permission for a permanent dwelling?

Hi there. I find myself a little stuck to answer this question being truthful as I am unsure weather planning permission would be required on a site if it is not being physically built on. (laying foundation, waste water plumbing ect...). The mobile home would be self sufficient in itself in terms of utilities and such, so am unsure weather a set up such as this would require PP.

Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

subscriber wrote: »
    Hi there. I find myself a little stuck to answer this question being truthful as I am unsure weather planning permission would be required on a site if it is not being physically built on. (laying foundation, waste water plumbing ect...). The mobile home would be self sufficient in itself in terms of utilities and such, so am unsure weather a set up such as this would require PP.

Noel

How would it be self sufficient?

lawred2 wrote: »
    How would it be self sufficient?

It would be kitted out similar to a Campervan/Motorhome. It would be furnished with lesiure batteries, solar panels, water storage tanks and so forth..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

If its not a permanent structure it does not require permission. A mobile home wouldn't require permission but you may need to argue that with neighbours etc

I know someone who's done exactly what your father is hoping to do in a very well to do area in Galway County

• Advertisement

Bazzy wrote: »
    If its not a permanent structure it does not require permission. A mobile home wouldn't require permission but you may need to argue that with neighbours etc

I know someone who's done exactly what your father is hoping to do in a very well to do area in Galway County

Thanks for this comment. It's encouraging. If you do hear of something suitable that may be available, please shoot me a message. Very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

From what you have described this is NOT a temporary structure.

It will most likely need to comply with planning and building regulations.

I would suggest moving this to the building forum as you will get a more informed answer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I believe he would require planning for anything like that and that he wouldn't receive it.
    Despite that his biggest problem is the value - nothing suitable will be going that cheap that close to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

I strongly suspect that this would require planning - if not, why aren't there thousands of mobile home in gardens across the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, he would need planning permission. A mobile home is not a self sufficient structure - you will still need a water supply, power and a septic tank or access to the mains. He will not get a site for 10k, especially one with planning permission,and it would be pp for a house to current building regs, which are very stringent, a mobile home would not qualify.

The only option would be to go on a year-round (as against holiday) commercial site, but these are expensive. You would need a year-round habitable mobile home (properly insulated) and then there would be rent and maintenance fees. They will not accept a mobile home over 15 years - and once it gets to 15 years it will have to be removed and replaced.

A mobile home is not a long term, cheap solution, he would be better off looking for an apartment or a small house in a rural village, or maybe you/your siblings could help with a 'granddad flat'.

Advertisement