Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Ticket Query

Options
  • 03-06-2019 12:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, have to go from Derry to Dublin this week and want to stop in Dundalk for 2 hours. Has anyone any advice as to how best to ticketing for this?

Can I buy a Belfast to Dublin ticket and get off in Dundalk then jump on the later train with the same ticket? Or would I need to have 2 tickets to get away with this?

In the north we can buy train tickets on the Translink app and it basically then allows you to get on/off the train at any time of the day/any stop without paying twice. Do Irish Rail have something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

irish_goat wrote: »
    Hi folks, have to go from Derry to Dublin this week and want to stop in Dundalk for 2 hours. Has anyone any advice as to how best to ticketing for this?

Can I buy a Belfast to Dublin ticket and get off in Dundalk then jump on the later train with the same ticket? Or would I need to have 2 tickets to get away with this?

In the north we can buy train tickets on the Translink app and it basically then allows you to get on/off the train at any time of the day/any stop without paying twice. Do Irish Rail have something similar?
    Looks like you can, judging by Section 8 of the Conditions of Carriage: http://www.irishrail.ie/media/conditionsoftravel1.pdf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Looks like you can, judging by Section 8 of the Conditions of Carriage: http://www.irishrail.ie/media/conditionsoftravel1.pdf

Ah perfect, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

You can get a Derry to Dublin ticket (you can get tickets from any station on the island of Ireland to any station on the island of Ireland - wikipedia has the station code on the right hand bar if you look up the station, cos guys in ticket offices outside connolly often won't know them) it's also ok to break a journey, on intercity journeys anyway, as long as you are still within the time period of the ticket.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    You can get a Derry to Dublin ticket (you can get tickets from any station on the island of Ireland to any station on the island of Ireland - wikipedia has the station code on the right hand bar if you look up the station, cos guys in ticket offices outside connolly often won't know them) it's also ok to break a journey, on intercity journeys anyway, as long as you are still within the time period of the ticket.

I noticed that online but for some reason it's more expensive to buy a Derry to Dublin ticket with Translink than it is to buy a Derry to Belfast ticket + Belfast to Dublin ticket.

Advertisement