Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurley moisture

Options
  • 02-06-2019 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Ive got a couple of young sons playing (7-11yrs)
    and breaking alot of hurls, i think they are too dry. They keep them in the garage and not afraid to get them wet. What moisture should the wood be and is there some way of measuring the moisture of them.

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Keeping them in very dry or warm locations (wooden sheds, car boots etc.) is disastrous for hurleys. Often, children's hurleys are made from straight cuts of ash and tend to break at toe or heel.
    You can also try brushing on linseed oil as a traditional help for keeping hurlers flexible.
    One can buy a gizmo in Aldi/lidl at times and other locations as well, I presume, which can gauge the moisture content in wood. That said I don't know the optimum moisture content for a hurley.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Downmick wrote:
    Ive got a couple of young sons playing (7-11yrs) and breaking alot of hurls, i think they are too dry. They keep them in the garage and not afraid to get them wet. What moisture should the wood be and is there some way of measuring the moisture of them.

As above, raw linseed oil. I just bought a bottle today 7 euro.

Sanded my ash kitchen table gave it the Hurley finish. Danish oil indeed, made up all sorts of lies to herself about it.

The oil is a must imo, but it will make the stick noticably heavier, but it will change it for the better imo, always thought you got a little bit of an improvement on the spring on an oiled one too. That might have been in my head though.

Advertisement