Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking bike overnight in the National Concert Hall

Options
  • 31-05-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone leaves their bike parked overnight in places where the gates are closed at night? Or would security cut the lock or anything like that?

Relocating office to Donnybrook and if I was to get an extra 2 buses a day it would cost me 1200 a year, on top of the 1800 I'm already paying...

My current office is right beside the concert hall and I noticed that they have bike racks outside. I'd have my bike parked there from 5pm to 7:30am

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in leaving their bike in such places?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Well assuming you are using Dublin bus I can't see how you are paying that kind of money given that the weekly cap is 27.50 euro on a Leapcard..
    Have you considered a tax saver ticket through your employer??

However to answer your question I would think that someone in the concert hall would eventually notice your bike and make enquiries.

What about the option of leaving it in Drury street car park where they have a dedicated area for bikes?

Not too far from you..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TonyAdams1998

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Well assuming you are using Dublin bus I can't see how you are paying that kind of money given that the weekly cap is 27.50 euro on a Leapcard..
    Have you considered a tax saver ticket through your employer??

However to answer your question I would think that someone in the concert hall would eventually notice your bike and make enquiries.

What about the option of leaving it in Drury street car park where they have a dedicated area for bikes?

Not too far from you..

I get a Bus Eireann bus into Town, they charge what they want as it's the only option. And it's 1800 on the Tax Saver that I have...

Thanks for the Drury St suggestion, had no idea they had a facility there like that, could be my best option

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Make sure you have really good locks as bike theft is rife.....

Would you look at a moped or scooter to do the run and no issues with traffic.

Make sure you have really good locks as bike theft is rife.....

Would you look at a moped or scooter to do the run and no issues with traffic.

Is the Drury St facility not locked at night? Also my bike was worth about 300 quid when I bought it so hopefully scumbags have more expensive taste...

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Fold up bike is what you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Is the Drury St facility not locked at night? Also my bike was worth about 300 quid when I bought it so hopefully scumbags have more expensive taste...

Locked from approx midnight to 7 am I think weekdays.

Dosent matter how much the bike is worth. It will still cost you to replace it. Get a Kryptonite lock. the one below while not top of the range Kryptonite should be adequate if your bike isn't too likely to be stolen..

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/kryptonite-standard-u-lock-with-flexframe-bracket/rp-prod167054?gs=1&sku=sku620318&pgrid=55940684101&ptaid=pla-439603971092&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsQyufmuvN_dc%7Cpcrid%7C294740729957%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C620318IE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf97miF-aPRTKtw_SPcRG8snbevKGpCX2gNgOGxB8-XnFVWOFMZ1c4SQaAulaEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They will rob anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its a regular thing Drury St makes sense.

Its so popular you'd think DCC might cop on a build a few more, when its full thats potentially 600 cars off the streets, but fat chance. Green Wave might help, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone leaves their bike parked overnight in places where the gates are closed at night? Or would security cut the lock or anything like that?

Relocating office to Donnybrook and if I was to get an extra 2 buses a day it would cost me 1200 a year, on top of the 1800 I'm already paying...

My current office is right beside the concert hall and I noticed that they have bike racks outside. I'd have my bike parked there from 5pm to 7:30am

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in leaving their bike in such places?

Thanks

Ask your employer to provide bike storage and showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Del2005 wrote: »
    Ask your employer to provide bike storage and showers.

Wouldn't be much use if they are relocating out of the city centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be much use if they are relocating out of the city centre

Where they are relocating to not from, the OP is hardly going to be cycling to the old building.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Think there may be some confusion here, I think the op plans on leaving the bike overnight whilst he gets the bus home and when he gets the bus in as far as his old building he will collect the bike and finish the journey to the new building by bike. Is that right OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Del2005 wrote: »
    Where they are relocating to not from, the OP is hardly going to be cycling to the old building.

The OP is getting the bus to the city centre then cycling out to Donnybrook not vice versa. The bike is hardly going to be of much use to him if he's in the city centre and the bike is in Donnybrook.

salmocab wrote: »
    Think there may be some confusion here, I think the op plans on leaving the bike overnight whilst he gets the bus home and when he gets the bus in as far as his old building he will collect the bike and finish the journey to the new building by bike. Is that right OP?

Yes this is what I meant, sorry if I caused confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Get a Brompton would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OP, how do you get into Dublin currently and where from?

OP, how do you get into Dublin currently and where from?

I come in from Straffan on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I come in from Straffan on the bus

You can get a train from Sallins/Naas or Hazelhatch/Celbridge, then a 145 from Heuston gets you directly to Donnybrook. Also, you can hop off at Tara Street and get a 39A/145/155 as well. There is a city bus/rail Leap that would cover this for you and it isn't much dearer than your current €1800 a year. Have a chat with your HR and see if they can help you to cancel your current Taxsaver and to get it replaced or swapped out.

Advertisement