Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford developments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Even Carrick has two!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Large scale developments on the dunmore road worth 80 million euro seems to be a hotpoint.people are up in arms about the extra traffic it would bring to the area.on the other hand Waterford badly needs housing and it needs to expand rapidly soon.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

More infill in the city center should be prioritised while the authorities figure out where population growth should be accommodated.

The gasworks site is an obvious example of a location for a high quality housing development, mainly apartments, that would rejuvenate the area and alleviate housing shortages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

But where would the Daytripper fest go? :)

I agree in principle if done well it would be an excellent location for living.

As for a link road between Ballygunner and the airport road - that should be a no brainer

3.5 KM of new road (there are too many houses etc right on the existing route to make adapting it vaible) at most which would be perfectly fine as a wide 2 lane affair. Probably could be done for about 9-10m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Max Powers wrote: »
    Not really a valid comparison regarding bridges, the river width is completely incomparable, we not including the ten or so small bridges over the johns river. Agree though a bridge out ballygunner way would be useful, how useful is another thing, nobody would be heading north because everything is south of the river. We badly need the houses and density of housing too, is there a way to build them without ten or so apartment blocks, at the moment we are not used to apartment blocks in the suburbs, to that extent anyway. The traffic argument cant be used to block these things IMO, waiting for the govt to increase road capacity before they are built is beyond unlikely. Would be Great to see some sort of greener/public transport way to get people to city centre/school ideal, how that happens is debatable and unclear.I think for now the best most cost efficient thing as others suggested might be to build a road from ballygunner to airport road.

So because we have a wide river we shouldn't build more, Is that what you are saying? The 3 bridges in Kilkenny i am referring to are vehicle bridges. In fact they have another one just outside the town on the ring road. Getting around the town is very easy with the only back up of traffic only ever up in high street if one was stupid enough to drive up it.

"How useful is another thing" What? Really? A second bridge is badly needed. A city cannot prosper with one bridge where all the traffic meets. Its crazy. I passed over the bridge at 12 yesterday and the traffic was heavy.

I dont think anyone is saying not to build because of traffic but come on lets be honest construction traffic alone will cause issues in Ferrybank during the building of the NQ.

It isnt enjoyable sitting in traffic for over 25mins when approaching the bridge from Ferrybank. Heading back over it in the evening takes some time aswell. Traffic backed up Summer Hill and the Quays. I dont know how much you have to do that Max or do you even see it at all? More developments leads to more people leads to more traffic and our single bridge cannot handle anymore.

I agree about better transport but let's be honest it wont happen. Parents wont send their kids on buses that arent there. The cost of a journey on an intercity bus is insane. €2.40 is it??? Around that if i remember correctly. I may be corrected on that though.

"Build a road from Ballygunner to the airport" Yeah happy days build one along with a new bridge. The City clearly needs a better traffic management system and a new bridge is vital cog in that. With one bridge the city remains a pain in the ass during peak times and all these proposed developments will add to it and that is why a serious conversation needs to start about a new bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Azatadine

What ever happened to that development that was started out the Carrickpheirish road? It was started and then abandoned a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

houses should only be allowed inside the Outer Ring Road... We need to use the existing infrastructure to its maximum before looking at more solutions and allowing the city to expand even further away from the city centre..

A second crossing at the Tower Hotel should be planned now and a one way system be implemented to aliviate congestion on the quays and surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

see the development application for out the Dunmore road way got turned down partly because the density was too high?????

crazy that a city would make that decision

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

alta stare wrote: »
    So because we have a wide river we shouldn't build more, Is that what you are saying? The 3 bridges in Kilkenny i am referring to are vehicle bridges. In fact they have another one just outside the town on the ring road. Getting around the town is very easy with the only back up of traffic only ever up in high street if one was stupid enough to drive up it.

"How useful is another thing" What? Really? A second bridge is badly needed. A city cannot prosper with one bridge where all the traffic meets. Its crazy. I passed over the bridge at 12 yesterday and the traffic was heavy.

I dont think anyone is saying not to build because of traffic but come on lets be honest construction traffic alone will cause issues in Ferrybank during the building of the NQ.

It isnt enjoyable sitting in traffic for over 25mins when approaching the bridge from Ferrybank. Heading back over it in the evening takes some time aswell. Traffic backed up Summer Hill and the Quays. I dont know how much you have to do that Max or do you even see it at all? More developments leads to more people leads to more traffic and our single bridge cannot handle anymore.

I agree about better transport but let's be honest it wont happen. Parents wont send their kids on buses that arent there. The cost of a journey on an intercity bus is insane. €2.40 is it??? Around that if i remember correctly. I may be corrected on that though.

"Build a road from Ballygunner to the airport" Yeah happy days build one along with a new bridge. The City clearly needs a better traffic management system and a new bridge is vital cog in that. With one bridge the city remains a pain in the ass during peak times and all these proposed developments will add to it and that is why a serious conversation needs to start about a new bridge.

Did you read what I posted, I didnt say don't build another bridge, and for the record we already have a second major bridge, probably underused also and the loads of small span ones.25 mins of traffic, that's funny, its not worth mentioning in any other city but on here, its the end of the world stuff. Yet people would sit in that traffic then pay to fly it thru our SECOND major bridge. For the record, I get caught in traffic regularly too, having lived sometime not in Waterford though, I recognise it ain't terrible and its been established in various AA surveys, we don't have a big problem with traffic, last time checked, Sligos was worse.

robtri wrote: »
    see the development application for out the Dunmore road way got turned down partly because the density was too high?????

crazy that a city would make that decision

City didn't make that decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

City didn't make that decision

who did then?
    and did the city and or council members make representations to whoever made that decision on the grounds of high density

Did you read what I posted, I didnt say don't build another bridge, and for the record we already have a second major bridge, probably underused also and the loads of small span ones.25 mins of traffic, that's funny, its not worth mentioning in any other city but on here, its the end of the world stuff. Yet people would sit in that traffic then pay to fly it thru our SECOND major bridge. For the record, I get caught in traffic regularly too, having lived sometime not in Waterford though, I recognise it ain't terrible and its been established in various AA surveys, we don't have a big problem with traffic, last time checked, Sligos was worse.

I did read it. I said we need a bridge then you quote my post and start going on about bridges over johns river and the likes.

The bypass bridge??? Yeah but that bridge is a bypass....a bypass...we need a bridge for those who live in the city. Those who arent in need of taking the bypass Max. Are you seriously suggesting that someone who lives in Ferrybank or the likes should use the bypass to go into town...come one Max even by your usual standards that one is off the wall.

What traffic do you get caught in Max? Is it anything as bad as the Ferrybank side????? Is it Dunmore Road type traffic??

Sligo...... :D i couldnt care about Sligo. Id like to see a second bridge in our City so i dont have to sit in morning traffic for 25mins. A second bridge would alleviate a hell of alot of issues in the mornings and evenings.

Bards wrote: »
    houses should only be allowed inside the Outer Ring Road... We need to use the existing infrastructure to its maximum before looking at more solutions and allowing the city to expand even further away from the city centre..

I'm pretty sure that's a fundamental plank of the city's long term plan - you may recall there was a scheme to create a ribbon forest on the outside of the ring road which fell foul of the crash.
    Bards wrote: »
    A second crossing at the Tower Hotel should be planned now and a one way system be implemented to aliviate congestion on the quays and surrounding areas.

Something like this

2SkdS.jpg

There is an outline plan for something down there if I remember or am I thinking of Maypark Lane? They won't build both that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What happened to the plans to build a new town up in Gracedieu?

I remember DLS GAA going up there and new schools, retail, recreational spaces etc were supposed to be going in to facilitate a town of circa 10k population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It's a pretty sorry looking area up there......beautiful gaeilscoil but the rest of the area is in bad shape.

I did read it. I said we need a bridge then you quote my post and start going on about bridges over johns river and the likes.

The bypass bridge??? Yeah but that bridge is a bypass....a bypass...we need a bridge for those who live in the city. Those who arent in need of taking the bypass Max. Are you seriously suggesting that someone who lives in Ferrybank or the likes should use the bypass to go into town...come one Max even by your usual standards that one is off the wall.

What traffic do you get caught in Max? Is it anything as bad as the Ferrybank side????? Is it Dunmore Road type traffic??

Sligo...... :D i couldnt care about Sligo. Id like to see a second bridge in our City so i dont have to sit in morning traffic for 25mins. A second bridge would alleviate a hell of alot of issues in the mornings and evenings.

When did I ever suggest someone should take the suir bridge to go to town, don't be making stuff up but it's ideally placed if heading to the estate, cork road direction.I get caught in dunmore road traffic yeah, its as bad if not worse than ferrybank.I'll say it again, traffic is not terrible like some suggests, 25 minutes is not terrible by any city standards, a bridge near the tower or at ballygunner will achieve very little traffic wise IMO, the ballygunner one might if accompanied by continuing on to cork or airport road. Comments here like I was coming into town today and traffic was heavy.....hold the front page, there's a small city in Ireland where people have to wait a bit in their cars. I'm in the car a good bit every day as part of my work, traveling all around the SE and beyond regularly, to my mind Waterford has no major issues traffic wise, the AAs survey confirms that. A bit of balance is needed by Waterford people in general and the realisation that driving into or around a city, theres a good chance it wont be a pleasant cruise.

When did I ever suggest someone should take the suir bridge to go to town, don't be making stuff up but it's ideally placed if heading to the estate, cork road direction.I get caught in dunmore road traffic yeah, its as bad if not worse than ferrybank.I'll say it again, traffic is not terrible like some suggests, 25 minutes is not terrible by any city standards, a bridge near the tower or at ballygunner will achieve very little traffic wise IMO, the ballygunner one might if accompanied by continuing on to cork or airport road. Comments here like I was coming into town today and traffic was heavy.....hold the front page, there's a small city in Ireland where people have to wait a bit in their cars. I'm in the car a good bit every day as part of my work, traveling all around the SE and beyond regularly, to my mind Waterford has no major issues traffic wise, the AAs survey confirms that. A bit of balance is needed by Waterford people in general and the realisation that driving into or around a city, theres a good chance it wont be a pleasant cruise.

You mentioned the bypass and how people should use it. You really should read your own posts before you post them.

You mentioned the bypass and how people should use it. You really should read your own posts before you post them.

Yeah, did I mention to use it to get to city centre?

Yeah, did I mention to use it to get to city centre?

You quoted my post which explicitly refers to traffic getting backed up at the bridge on the Ferrybank side then proceed to give out how people dont use the bypass.

You quoted my post which explicitly refers to traffic getting backed up at the bridge on the Ferrybank side then proceed to give out how people dont use the bypass.

A no then.

• Advertisement

A no then.

:D Good man dodge your comment.

You suggested people going over Rice bridge should use the bypass. A probably under used bypass at that....in your words. I aksed do you expect people to use the bypass if they are going into town. You are now trying to deflect from your comment and make out as if im making it up.

It is clear as day what you were suggesting.

:D Good man dodge your comment.

You suggested people going over Rice bridge should use the bypass. A probably under used bypass at that....in your words. I aksed do you expect people to use the bypass if they are going into town. You are now trying to deflect from your comment and make out as if im making it up.

It is clear as day what you were suggesting.

Still no then.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/drivers-wasting-eight-days-a-year-in-heavy-traffic-35471566.html

See link, Dublin and cork bad/above average, limerick not bad and we no doubt have less traffic then limerick who are in third, there is traffic in Waterford, it aint bad though. Another bridge or two would be most welcome, why wouldnt we love that. A bit of cop on regarding everyones expectations of a near traffic free city is needed.

Still no then.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/drivers-wasting-eight-days-a-year-in-heavy-traffic-35471566.html

See link, Dublin and cork bad/above average, limerick not bad and we no doubt have less traffic then limerick who are in third, there is traffic in Waterford, it aint bad though. Another bridge or two would be most welcome, why wouldnt we love that. A bit of cop on regarding everyones expectations of a near traffic free city is needed.

So again you are dodging what you said. Well done. Max the great deflector.

So again you are dodging what you said. Well done. Max the great deflector.

Still no then.Alright alta, you clearly have an issue with traffic, its not shared by myself, that aa survey or whomever the presumably professionals who did that Irish independent traffic count thing. You should ring them to tell them they got their figures wrong.

Still no then.Alright alta, you clearly have an issue with traffic, its not shared by myself, that aa survey or whomever the presumably professionals who did that Irish independent traffic count thing. You should ring them to tell them they got their figures wrong.

Yeah i dont like sitting in it when a second bridge would alleviate such issues. I have been quite clear in my view on that.

Now can you please admit you are suggesting people should use the bypass to go into town.

For Christs sake don't take it or make it personal.

It's what "they" want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yeah i dont like sitting in it when a second bridge would alleviate such issues. I have been quite clear in my view on that.

Now can you please admit you are suggesting people should use the bypass to go into town.

Forget that, that's not how Max argues. He sarcastically tries to put you down if you state something that he doesn't agree with then gets all hot under the collar if you dare to stand up for yourself. The guy isn't able to debate properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Forget that, that's not how Max argues. He sarcastically tries to put you down if you state something that he doesn't agree with then gets all hot under the collar if you dare to stand up for yourself. The guy isn't able to debate properly.

He also loves traffic and how it affects everyone bar him. See the Quay thread from years back. He loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

His real name is Homer Simpson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is the advertising on old Sam McCauly about a national retailer coming soon just advertising or any substance to it?

Advertisement