Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10 abreast 777

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

It’s relatively common these days.

British Airways aren’t the first and won’t be the last to fit 10 abreast in their 777 fleet. It doesn’t feel that different to 9 abreast in a Dreamliner to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭boccy23

Emirates have all 10 abreast for their 777-300ER

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

10 abreast 777 is the norm, sadly. As we were commenting in another thread, it's actually nicer in my opinion on a 777 10 abreast vs a 787 9 abreast where the seats are thinner. A 777 cabin ranges from 5.87m (most models) to 5.96m (300er) whereas the 787 is 5.49m and to fit everything in it just feels like they've been stingier on the overall seat - a few cm here and there.

Basically the airline world has discovered that price is above all else for most customers. For discerning flyers a proper Premium Economy product is now the basic product you need to look for or else you're just shagged on sectors of any great length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Yet another reason to avoid flying with British Airways. For ULH I try always to go to the back in economy where it slims down from 10 across, pop a few benzos and wake up 12-14hrs later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

There are very few 9 abreast 777's left at this stage, BA held out longer than I expected and it will take a few years yet before all Heathrow based 777's will be 10 abreast. Qatar and Cathay all switched to 10 abreast in recent years, Singapore airlines are still 9 abreast to their credit. I am flying on one of these from SIN to SYD next month so looking forward to see what these are like. I've traveled on BA's 9 abreast 777's a few times and always found them comfortable aircraft but dated in economy. I traveled on AA's 10 abreast 777 on a packed flight a few years ago and it wasn't great. Been on EY's 777's too but luckily the planes were only half full so had 3 seats to myself

For the 777X, Boeing are somehow managing to widen the cabin somehow so I would be very surprised if any operators of that aircraft choose 9 abreast in economy.

As an aside, we can be thankful that 10 abreast A350's haven;t become the norm. Some niche operators have chosen this and it does not look comfy:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

One of the longest flights in the world from Doha to Auckland is on a 10 abreast 777LR.

I flew on on a Cathay 777 last year that was 9 abreast. Was okay but as somebody mentioned with BA, their economy was also very dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

One of the longest flights in the world from Doha to Auckland is on a 10 abreast 777LR.

I flew on on a Cathay 777 last year that was 9 abreast. Was okay but as somebody mentioned with BA, their economy was also very dated.

What destroys the whole thing is if you are stuck with an IFE box under your seat taking up your entire legroom allocation. I had such a brutal flight in BA from LAX once due to that IFE box that I didn't fly them again for 7 years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Was on a 747 3-4-3 a few years back in economy got stuck between two large people and it was the worst 12 hours of my life I could not move at all.

On the way back I was in premium economy and my god this is why I now pay the extra to travel in premium. People think I waste money but my reply is 12 hours on a plane a extra 8 inches of leg room and a bigger seat you understand why.

Ba premium is ok on the 777 300er seats where grand but I think the crew where the problem on that flight had to look for them at all times.

Was on japon Airlines premium economy my god its a business class like seat and something like 42 inches of leg room as I can't have fish they gave me food from the 1st class menu as all eatting options had fish sauce in them in premium economy.

But hands down the best premium is virgin atlantic the 787-9 is so nice to fly on with the huge seat and great cabin crew as well. Food was also fantastic. After 12 hours I was so relaxed and able to go for the day ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Aren't Japan Airlines the only ones to have 2-4-2 on their 787s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I'm f**ked if I'm going to lose weight to fly with any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

I got the UA 777 a few weeks back EWR-DUB and it was 3-4-3 in economy, and was fine, and I am 6'2'' . That IFE box removal really really makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

theguzman wrote: »
    Yet another reason to avoid flying with British Airways. For ULH I try always to go to the back in economy where it slims down from 10 across, pop a few benzos and wake up 12-14hrs later.

Etihad have 10 a breast. They don’t offer a premium economy section but have economy space so half the front economy have more keg space. Avoid the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eamo_c

I was in the centre section (3-4-3) on American airlines 777-200 Dallas to London a week ago.im 6'3" and not very broad.. it was the most uncomfortable flight of my life. Width and leg room both terrible... Was doing stretches for days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It’s relatively common these days.

British Airways aren’t the first and won’t be the last to fit 10 abreast in their 777 fleet. It doesn’t feel that different to 9 abreast in a Dreamliner to be honest.

Having stepped off of a 787-8 with 9 abreast seating yesterday, I can attest the name "Nightmareliner" would be the best description for it. If Boeing were any serious in their "Comfort for the passengers" stance, they would've told any airline asking for 3-3-3 seating to stick it where the sun doesn't shine and only offer 2-4-2 at maximum. It was American Airlines and, to be fair, the cabin crew were great but the seats are even less comfortable than Ryanair, and you're stuck in these for 7+ hours. By comparison, the United 757 I flew on from Dulles last year was positively comfortable.

I made the mistake of getting a window seat on the leg towards Chicago, and it's horrible - whatever with the bigger windows (although the polarization thingie is neat), the plastic panel covering the fuselage seems to be thicker than in other planes, leaving even less room for your shoulders and arms.

On the leg back, I decided to cough up for a seat with more legroom, this time an aisle seat in the central row - it was a bit better, but you still overlap with whomever is sitting next to you; If you get somebody with no concept of personal space, you're in for an infuriating journey - and the guy next to me almost used me as a backrest for a sizable portion of the flight (one of these despicable people who has to lay "sideways" in his seat to sleep, and so that his wife on the other seat could basically lay on him). My only "revenge" was when I got up to go to the loo in the middle of the night and they fell hard on the armrest :p

I'll be actively avoiding the 787 in the 9 abreast configuration (which basically means, avoiding the 787 entirely) in the future and trying to find flights on 777 with 9 abreast or A330's with 8 configurations.

Premium Economy might be a solution, but often the price is more than double that of cattle class Economy.

roundymac wrote: »
    I'm f**ked if I'm going to lose weight to fly with any of them.

"Lose weight" is probably the most idiotic remark people make when one complains about narrow seats on planes. I'm no skinny minnie myself but my issue is definitely not the arse, it's the shoulders - I easily "spill out" each side of a 18-inches seat by a minimum of two inches each side at shoulder level and my elbows fall entirely outside of the armrests on both sides, unless I pull my arms tightly towards my body. Depending on fit and country, 18 inches shoulder width (45cm) is between an XS and an S size in terms of men's shirts and jackets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I agree with the sentiments here.

Weight is not the issue for me – I weigh 77kg right now – it's my shoulders.

I don't fit comfortably in a 10-across 777.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

When Boeing first presented the 787 to us, they classified 8 abreast as normal and 9 as high density, move on years later to the 1st deliveries and it appears that all airlines went for the "high density". And it really does suck.

People vote with their wallets and what most people do is search for a route on Skyscanner etc and select the best mix of cheapest/quickest. That's why some airlines advertise a route taking 5 minutes less than their competitors and the sticker price unbundled of everything but the clothes you're wearing is the driving factor. Premium economy is the new business class of 20 years ago and new business class products are increasingly indistinguishable from first class; and a lot of airlines actually phasing out their firsts.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Depending on the airline Premium is now business class.

Eg virgin to me that was business class.

All my drinks where in proper glasses, got my coffee in mugs and could request what ever I wonted such as a hot chocolate.

After my meal they offer you brandy or anything like that and not cheap stuff proper 50 euro a bottle stuff.

They have the wonder wall that's amazing it's just full of what ever junk food you won't and its all nice stuff.

A fridge to get your drinks from and loo that only pre can use.

Proper food on plates and some of the best meals I have ever had on a plane.

Every 30 mins they come around asking you do you won't anything never haveing to look for cabin crew for anything.

Like my girlfirend did not like the breckfest she got and they they asked her what would you like to swap around and we give you what you like.

I paid about 1k return to Hong Kong for this flight but jeses it was worth the money as better everything and a 2nd bag to check in.

Normal was 650 so 350 extra it's worth it for a 12 hour flight. That's not even 2 nights now in a 4 star hotel.

When I had to get back on the aer Lingus a320 back to Ireland I got a shock haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

How's that relevant to a 10-across 777 ? Anyone in a 10 across is in economy and not there by choice , we'd all like to be up the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nijmegen wrote: »
    People vote with their wallets and what most people do is search for a route on Skyscanner etc and select the best mix of cheapest/quickest. That's why some airlines advertise a route taking 5 minutes less than their competitors and the sticker price unbundled of everything but the clothes you're wearing is the driving factor. Premium economy is the new business class of 20 years ago and new business class products are increasingly indistinguishable from first class; and a lot of airlines actually phasing out their firsts.

I wouldn’t say most people.

I travel to the Middle East regularly and Turkish airlines is always the cheapest via Istanbul.

But it’s two 4.5 hour flights at bad times on a short haul plane.

Everybody I talk to avoid it and pays the premium for Etihad or emirates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭Rawr

A couple months ago I was booked down from OSL to DXB with Turkish via Istanbul Attaturk.

My trip down was booked as an A330 to IST then a 777 down to DXB.
    The return was to be a A330 back up to IST and then A320 for the final leg.

Of the aircraft planned for me, I had dreaded the 777 most. It was going to be 10 abreast on a long 5 hour slog down to DXB. But to my surprise that 777 ended up being my favourite part of the whole journey. It felt far roomier than the A330, the seats were just as good (same leg room) and bathrooms on board were huge. I wouldn't mind flying on another 777 at all.

Ironically, the sector I looked forward to the most on that trip was my morning departure from DXB on an A330, which alas ended up being the worst flight. I had a window seat booked, and hoped to maybe have the 2-seat isle to myself. Instead I was stuck with a drunken idiot beside me who proceeded to consume gallons of red wine with his breakfast and then fall asleep...boxing me in :mad:

However I don't blame Turkish or the A330 for that one. The main jist of what I'm saying is that the 777 can be surprisingly good, even to someone like me who expected the worst from it :)

trellheim wrote: »
    How's that relevant to a 10-across 777 ? Anyone in a 10 across is in economy and not there by choice , we'd all like to be up the front.

I think it's relevant to the why and the trend in the airline industry to pack in more to economy, because with high loads people clearly are willing to take it; and then getting the additional cash out of premium economy as well as business - in other words, it's actually the middle of the plane you want to be in now.
    Everybody I talk to avoid it and pays the premium for Etihad or emirates.

I think we're on the same page - The right mix of price and time as I say. Most flight search engines will give you a result ordered fastest, cheapest or "best", which is where most people go.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I'm 6ft, not exactly skinny, and have done 9 abreast in a 787 for over 14 hours no problem in economy 5 times. I have also done the same journey in premium economy after getting bumped up. Obviously premium is better, but it's not twice the price better. The lower cabin pressure is also very noticeable. At the end of the day there's no economy class seat on any aircraft with the room for my legs to stretch enough to not be in discomfort after 7+ hours so you just gotta make do or get richer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'm 6ft, not exactly skinny, and have done 9 abreast in a 787 for over 14 hours no problem in economy 5 times. I have also done the same journey in premium economy after getting bumped up. Obviously premium is better, but it's not twice the price better. The lower cabin pressure is also very noticeable. At the end of the day there's no economy class seat on any aircraft with the room for my legs to stretch enough to not be in discomfort after 7+ hours so you just gotta make do or get richer.

Leg room isn’t a problem for me most of the time; it’s the seat width, and I am skinny. I feel for the more corpulent among us.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement