Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Release equity on house

• 22-05-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Firstly apologies if this is not in the right, section my mother is looking to release equity on a house so she can live for the next 5 or 10 years, mortgage is fully paid as she owns the house she's 63, Where is the best place to go to release equity so you can enjoy the few years that she's got left

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Sorry to be crass but why is her life expectancy 5 to 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

Figure of speech could be longer howvu making this an issue?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Im not sure if these types of loans are still available. Is terms of her affordability, how does she expect to repay the loan?

This is why I'm asking as far as I'm aware she doesn't need to repay when she's passed we sell the house pay what's owed on bank this is why I'm asking is there a place that's does it or seeking advice hence asking on here!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

100,000/10 or 100,000/30 makes a difference in spending.

First thing to factor in is that as she gets older and physically less able her housing needs may change. Is her current home adapted or adaptable to rollators or wheelchairs eg bathroom and a downstairs bedroom. How about access to shops, doctors and public transport. Geographly, how easy is it for family members to drop in and check on her. How much gardening and maintance is needed to keep the home running. The best equity release may be to sell the current house and downsize.

She could currently get a lodger in and earn 14k tax free.
    Depending in the layout of the house a small spend and a reorganisation could split the house into 2 independent living spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Bank of Ireland used to have a product like this and there was also a Celtic Tiger company called Seniors Money who are still operating but not lending at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Because it makes one hell of a difference to the calculation. Are you asking this for yourself or her???????????

I'm trying to help her to find somewhere or someone to contact so he/she can give her advice, my question state anyone know who to contact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wasn't this the kind of thing that Older people got absolutely screwed by? Sometimes the loan gained so much interest it was greater than the value of the home by the time they died. I'm not sure they offer them anymore as there was so much outrage at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

I'm trying to help her to find somewhere or someone to contact so he/she can give her advice, my question state anyone know who to contact?

Your best speaking to an advocate to discuss all matters first before making any decisions.

The lender wil need to be satisfied before allowing money out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

She might be able to sell the property with rights to rent the property until her death. Some investor might be happy with this arrangement for a discount on the purchase price of the house.

However might be easier just to sell the property outright and move somewhere cheaper, using the left over money to live on.

There is actually a term for this "home reversion". In some cases you would sell the property with the right to live there rent free until death. The amount you receive would be based on your life expectancy. The purchaser takes a risk on whether you would live longer than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Firstly apologies if this is not in the right, section my mother is looking to release equity on a house so she can live for the next 5 or 10 years, mortgage is fully paid as she owns the house she's 63, Where is the best place to go to release equity so you can enjoy the few years that she's got left

Terrible idea. Scummy companies do this in the UK to legally rip off old people. I'd consider other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Equity release to fund day to day living should be the last option. I recently released equity from a mortgage free property through ICS, but that property is rented and I still had to prove affordability and repayment capacity from my day to day job.

Advertisement