Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's gone wrong with signalling in Heuston this morning?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ffocused

To be fair, for daily commuters there is no obvious reason to check the website. Nearly all will use the official App to check for delays. Both the app and the "live" station pages were showing no problems, with all trains running on time.

I am a daily commuter

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

for the majority of daily commuters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ffocused

for the majority of daily commuters

:D

I only checked it because there were a few people at the station on phones hastily trying to arrange lifts from station which prompted me to check the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To be fair, for daily commuters there is no obvious reason to check the website. Nearly all will use the official App to check for delays. Both the app and the "live" station pages were showing no problems, with all trains running on time.

I never used the app or the website. Rightly or wrongly, I always used their Twitter account, if there was an issue, and found updates to be relatively timely. I kinda assumed most were the same as it's faster to give an update via Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Then jump on with beechwood and get on the compo bus .... they forced you to get alternative transport due to their malfunction, they never offered alternative transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I never used the app or the website. Rightly or wrongly, I always used their Twitter account, if there was an issue, and found updates to be relatively timely. I kinda assumed most were the same as it's faster to give an update via Twitter.
    Regardless of the number of people who use Twitter, people shouldn't be expected to use it in order to get information (not saying that you are suggesting that they should, just making a general point). The IE app should provide notifications and be the most reliable source of information. Why it doesn't and isn't is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Why it doesn't and isn't is beyond me.[/quote]

Maybe the app is maintained by the same ppl who update the signals.;)

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Regardless of the number of people who use Twitter, people shouldn't be expected to use it in order to get information (not saying that you are suggesting that they should, just making a general point). The IE app should provide notifications and be the most reliable source of information. Why it doesn't and isn't is beyond me.

It's likely quicker to provide updates on Twitter.

The app should provide notifications but it will be slower to update the app. It's built as a fairly static app. I take your point but if people have the app, they have access to Twitter so it shouldn't be an issue which online platform they use for updates once it's updated by IR.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Kenny wheeled out to talk about electric/battery train upgrades in IR. ;). Was on with Mary Wilson. . He was missing from his post when it counted. Maybe get the infrastructure that's in place working first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

https://twitter.com/dpowert2/status/1133285998106939394

That often happens during disruption, if there is no real time information it can get hold of it just refers to timetable information and it shows you the train progressing throughout it's journey even though there is no actual train running.

I've complained about this before on a number of occasions and I have got nowhere. Once I was told I missed a train 5 minutes previous citing their live information despite the fact I'd saw no train in the 15 minutes I was waiting.

Twitter is the only real way of getting information, but it should not be a substitute for keeping their app up to date and providing announcements at stations, which they rarely ever do. Staff will watch people go past them to the platform when no trains running and not say a word, you'll wait 20 minutes, walk back through the barriers when you realise no train is coming despite the real time counting it down, and ask the guy in the ticket office why he didn't make an announcement to be told it's not his job.

• Advertisement

It's likely quicker to provide updates on Twitter.

The app should provide notifications but it will be slower to update the app. It's built as a fairly static app. I take your point but if people have the app, they have access to Twitter so it shouldn't be an issue which online platform they use for updates once it's updated by IR.
    You shouldn't be required to have a Twitter account to get up to date info on train services. Provide the information there by all means but that information should be readily available outside private company social media platforms. They should just update their app to provide notifications, it isn't difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

You shouldn't be required to have a Twitter account to get up to date info on train services. Provide the information there by all means but that information should be readily available outside private company social media platforms. They should just update their app to provide notifications, it isn't difficult.

So you shouldn't have to have twitter but you should have an app?

The info this morning was on website, social media and general media. You do not even need a twitter account to view info.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    So you shouldn't have to have twitter but you should have an app?

The info this morning was on website, social media and general media. You do not even need a twitter account to view info.
    A majority of regular rail users would have the app anyway. Nobody is sitting there constantly refresh the website home page. A notification from the app would provide the information directly to a significant number of their customers instantly. Why would you not do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A majority of regular rail users would have the app anyway. Nobody is sitting there constantly refresh the website home page. A notification from the app would provide the information directly to a significant number of their customers instantly. Why would you not do it?

Just like the majority have a twitter or FB account?

I prefer the website than there app but twitter is usually my first point of call. Its a fast and effective way of getting info out.

The point I am making is you cannot please everybody. The app was updated this morning, not immediately.

Updating an app isn't straightforward if the app isn't built for service updates like that. An IT head could probably shed some light on that but have had some experience with an app where I had to get the developer to make text updates and it was a pain in the hole and slow.

Not sure why it's such a big issue to check theor official Twitter account. Both it and the app would be on the same device. Maybe they could develop an app that could mean the Twitter account wouldn't be any better but there will always be people who will give out about a lack of updates on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

When I book a seat online, I have to provide my phone number.
    Is it difficult to text customers?

Updating an app isn't straightforward if the app isn't built for service updates like that. An IT head could probably shed some light on that but have had some experience with an app where I had to get the developer to make text updates and it was a pain in the hole and slow.

JourneyCheck has done that in the UK both via an App and via SMS for the last decade for pretty much every single train operator. Irish Rail would never implement a system like that though because the levels of transparency such a system has would show them up big time.

Twitter shouldn't be a replacement for proper on train and on platform information, it should be in addition to those but in Irish Rail communication has always been poor and they clearly have always believed that they should not inform passengers and instead the passengers should inform themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

is the service up and running again?

devnull wrote: »
    JourneyCheck has done that in the UK both via an App and via SMS for the last decade for pretty much every single train operator. Irish Rail would never implement a system like that though because the levels of transparency such a system has would show them up big time.

Twitter shouldn't be a replacement for proper on train and on platform information, it should be in addition to those but in Irish Rail communication has always been poor and they clearly have always believed that they should not inform passengers and instead the passengers should inform themselves.

Fair enough. I've just never been bothered by the lack of info on the app because it was available elsewhere. I'm not saying they shouldn't have to. Just that there were text updates available from IR sources.

That's not in any way defending IR's generally poor effort at comms

Fair enough. I've just never been bothered by the lack of info on the app because it was available elsewhere. I'm not saying they shouldn't have to. Just that there were text updates available from IR sources.

Even the twitter service is not perfect though when it comes to information. It works fairly well during the time the twitter service is staffed, but for trains around 6.30am to 7.30am literally it can be impossible to get any information if there is a problem which occurred overnight or that morning

I've been waiting for the first DART from Portmarnock and seen the time count down on the displays and no trains appear, No information is provided and you can stand there for 20-30 minutes with nothing coming or going, no information on twitter, nothing on the app and the app showing trains are moving based on timetable information. Station staff say it's not their job to give information so you can be stuck till twitter is staffed.

Really Twitter needs to be staffed for the full duration that the train service is running. Most of the operators in the UK operate it 24 hours a day, we don't need to go to that extreme but certainly whilst trains are running if they are going to say Twitter is the way to get information quickly, they need to give it round the clock when services operate.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Just like the majority have a twitter or FB account?

I prefer the website than there app but twitter is usually my first point of call. Its a fast and effective way of getting info out.

The point I am making is you cannot please everybody. The app was updated this morning, not immediately.
    It's not about pleasing everyone. The point of the IR app is to provide their customers with information on their services. Why should IR customers have to sign up for a Twitter account to get notifications? Many customers will have a Twitter account but that is beside the point.

If you can improve your customer service by directly targeting your customers with information about disruption on your services, using a platform you created to provide information to your customers, why would you not do it? It's pretty basic stuff tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Leaving all the tech stuff aside, IE do have the ability to make announcements at stations from a central location/on site no?

I use the service twice a week and my last drama was a suicide. No information unless you asked station staff. I didn't expect them to announce it, but there was nothing but hushed whispers if you asked. A basic communication strategy would be helpful. In February last there was a signal failure between Portlaoise and Portarlington. Local services were cancelled/delayed. The Dublin bound Cork service stood at Portlaoise platform 2 for 20 mins while we were told it was not in service for those wanting the local train. Station staff then announced that the Cork train would serve Portarlington, Monasterevan and Kildare. Doors open and on we get. It crawls to Portarlington due the signal failure, but on board announcements (from a human being) said it was running direct to Dublin Heuston. More confusion and panic. But obviously the plan prevailed and it served all stations to Kildare. However, it came across very poorly in terms of communication/information.

Yes, stuff happens, but when it does IE are absolutely shabby when it comes to informing customers on their platforms. These days there is no excuse for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CTC can make announcements to any controlled station. They can also see the platform CCTV including all the equipped NIR stations to Belfast but not sure if they're allowed make platform announcements there!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Pissartist wrote: »
    There will be no compensation for annual ticket holders for todays delay.
    It's a fact. Prove me wrong if you disagree.

I intend to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭wench

I had an online booking for yesterday, and just got the following email from Irish Rail.
    All sorted without me even needing to contact them or fill in any forms, which I appreciate.
    Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail would like to apologise for the delay of your service on Tuesday 28th May due to a major signalling fault.

As you have been effected by this incident we will automatically refund you.

This refund process will begin today, however please allow 3 to 5 working days for your financial institution to process your refund.

Iarnród Éireann apologies for any inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

wench wrote: »
    I had an online booking for yesterday, and just got the following email from Irish Rail.
    All sorted without me even needing to contact them or fill in any forms, which I appreciate.

Bring back the mechanical semaphore signalling. Then we wouldn’t have had yesterday’s farce!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

wench wrote: »

Just keep an eye on your bank account. From past experience, it takes quite a bit longer than that and usually requires me to give them a little reminder also.
    They will begrudgingly pay it back eventually though.

Pissartist wrote: »
    There will be no compensation for annual ticket holders for todays delay.
    It's a fact. Prove me wrong if you disagree.

Iarnrireann Irish Rail would like to apologise for the delay of your service on Tuesday 28th May due to a major signalling fault.

As you have been effected by this incident we will automatically refund you.

This refund process will begin today, however please allow 3 to 5 working days for your financial institution to process your refund.

Iarnrireann apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Where's that Christian Bale gif gone.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Without knowing the specifics of the signalling at Heuston, any outage that takes the signalling down in a wide area like that is either power related, interlocking related or the communications to the control system relatred (at Connolly?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Emme wrote: »
    I bet that those responsible for the "signalling problem" :rolleyes: at Irish Rail this morning will get a light rap on the knuckles at most. Then they will go back to laughing at passengers.

On the other hand many of us late for work this morning will be reprimanded or even get an official warning. We will be told that late trains are no excuse for not getting to work on time

Blame God, and his mischievous ways with lightning.

Advertisement