Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

What's gone wrong with signalling in Heuston this morning?

  • 28-05-2019 6:23am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭ Topgear on Dave


    So what's gone with the signals in Heuston this morning?

    What's causing such a major failure in the system?


«134

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭ Beechwoodspark


    What a major major mess up by Irish rail this morning


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭ Jamie2k9


    Not using backup is part of the problem but have started manual signalling has started.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭ Emme


    Irish Rail have really disgraced themselves this morning. Commuters from all over the country have been let down with just a perfunctory explanation from Irish Rail

    Will we be getting compensation from Irish Rail for this?

    Imagine all the lost productivity in workplaces this morning thanks to this cock-up by Irish Rail.

    Shame on Irish Rail. There are no excuses for this mess.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ Irishphotodesk


    Emme wrote: »
    Irish Rail have really disgraced themselves this morning. Commuters from all over the country have been let down with just a perfunctory explanation from Irish Rail

    Will we be getting compensation from Irish Rail for this?

    Imagine all the lost productivity in workplaces this morning thanks to this cock-up by Irish Rail.

    Shame on Irish Rail. There are no excuses for this mess.

    Really, your first question ..... will we get compo ?

    Yes, some workplaces will be without commuters for a period of time, I’m sure the majority of commuters can opt for a bus transfer if rail network isn’t operational.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭ Beechwoodspark


    Really, your first question ..... will we get compo ?

    Yes, some workplaces will be without commuters for a period of time, I’m sure the majority of commuters can opt for a bus transfer if rail network isn’t operational.

    Ehhh lots of ppl have annual tickets and are charged accordingly every pay day?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ Irishphotodesk


    Ehhh lots of ppl have annual tickets and are charged accordingly every pay day?

    And I’m sure that your annual ticket will work on a bus service for today if it’s the next best option.

    It’s a once off, or do you expect you will be compensated for the trains not working because you have an annual pass ?

    By all means if you believe you should be compensated contact their customer service and complain and “demand” your compensation, but please don’t get too upset if they ignore you or fail to give you anything in return.


  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭ Colonel Claptrap


    Can anyone explain what a typical signal failure looks like, and what redundancies are or should be available?

    What does manual signalling look like? A man with a flag?

    Is it typically software or mechanical failure?
    How does the control centre find out? Is there a warning or do they rely on drivers to report it?

    Are all signal faults created equal?

    Why are Irish rail often slow at providing updates? Can a fix not be implemented relatively quickly, or is it more complex than that.

    Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭ Beechwoodspark


    And I’m sure that your annual ticket will work on a bus service for today if it’s the next best option.

    It’s a once off, or do you expect you will be compensated for the trains not working because you have an annual pass ?

    By all means if you believe you should be compensated contact their customer service and complain and “demand” your compensation, but please don’t get too upset if they ignore you or fail to give you anything in return.

    You are “sure” are you?

    Why would private bus operaters accept a irish rail annual ticket ???!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭ Pissartist


    Emme wrote: »
    Irish Rail have really disgraced themselves this morning. Commuters from all over the country have been let down with just a perfunctory explanation from Irish Rail

    Will we be getting compensation from Irish Rail for this?

    Imagine all the lost productivity in workplaces this morning thanks to this cock-up by Irish Rail.

    Shame on Irish Rail. There are no excuses for this mess.

    Maria Bailey ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭ Beechwoodspark


    And I’m sure that your annual ticket will work on a bus service for today if it’s the next best option.

    It’s a once off, or do you expect you will be compensated for the trains not working because you have an annual pass ?

    By all means if you believe you should be compensated contact their customer service and complain and “demand” your compensation, but please don’t get too upset if they ignore you or fail to give you anything in return.

    I expect to be compensated for this journey yes. As do all annual ticket customers.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ Irishphotodesk


    I expect to be compensated for this journey yes. As do all annual ticket customers.

    So.... complain to Irish rail and seek your compensation, dont forget to include the mental distress payment for the increased stress levels due to having to figure out an alternative route to work, and the extra expense of having to purchase a morning coffee/tea elsewhere because the train wasn’t working - you couldn’t purchase the one you normally purchase on the train.

    Do you expect Irish rail should compensate those that commute regularly but are not annual ticket holders ? I’m sure there are people who are equally as annoyed as you who might need to get to a hospital appointment in Dublin but are not a regular train user .... should they also be compensated ? How about those people who were planning on going to the zoo by train from elsewhere in the country.... should they be compensated ?

    I had to change my plans this morning - and had to take my car to work instead of taking the train, should I put in a claim for the extra parking expenses I’m forced to endure because of Irish rails error ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭ SeeMoreBut


    As a train user.

    What annoys people is the reason. The old operational problem. Is it staff shortage or a few drivers out sick.

    Why not say that points where vandalised, broken, stolen, frozen or whatever.

    With the lack of knowledge of reason today makes people wonder how long to fix. More understanding then people might then realise it could take a few hours to fix.

    They must have an idea how to fix every issue. Say 30, 1 hour 2 hours. Gives people an idea what to do.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭ realdanbreen


    Emme wrote: »

    Will we be getting compensation from Irish Rail for this?

    Which train were you on Maria?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ Irishphotodesk


    You are “sure” are you?

    Why would private bus operaters accept a irish rail annual ticket ???!

    “I’m sure” is a turn of phrase, I haven’t checked if Irish rail provided alternative services but logic would dictate they would provide/offer such a service , but feel free to check out if your annual ticket can allow you access on a bus journey, if not.... you could always pay for it and put that into your claim for compensation, after all, Irish rail with this error forced you to take alternative transport.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭ Allinall


    Emme wrote: »
    Irish Rail have really disgraced themselves this morning. Commuters from all over the country have been let down with just a perfunctory explanation from Irish Rail

    Will we be getting compensation from Irish Rail for this?

    Imagine all the lost productivity in workplaces this morning thanks to this cock-up by Irish Rail.

    Shame on Irish Rail. There are no excuses for this mess.

    Why would you want an explanation when you've already decided there are no excuses?

    Have you considered the distinct possibility that Irish Rail at this moment don't actually know what caused the problem, but are putting all their efforts into finding out, and resolving it, rather than wasting time trying to appease passengers with explanations they don't have?

    Sh1t happens. get over it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭ Beechwoodspark


    So.... complain to Irish rail and seek your compensation, dont forget to include the mental distress payment for the increased stress levels due to having to figure out an alternative route to work, and the extra expense of having to purchase a morning coffee/tea elsewhere because the train wasn’t working - you couldn’t purchase the one you normally purchase on the train.

    Do you expect Irish rail should compensate those that commute regularly but are not annual ticket holders ? I’m sure there are people who are equally as annoyed as you who might need to get to a hospital appointment in Dublin but are not a regular train user .... should they also be compensated ? How about those people who were planning on going to the zoo by train from elsewhere in the country.... should they be compensated ?

    I had to change my plans this morning - and had to take my car to work instead of taking the train, should I put in a claim for the extra parking expenses I’m forced to endure because of Irish rails error ?

    You are missing the point completely and I suspect deliberately

    I and many thousands of others pay directly from our wages a fee for annual ticket

    If the service is unavailable for use I expect not to be charged for it. So I will seek a refund.

    Clear now???????!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭ Pissartist


    You are missing the point completely and I suspect deliberately

    I and many thousands of others pay directly from our wages a fee for annual ticket

    If the service is unavailable for use I expect not to be charged for it. So I will seek a refund.

    Clear now???????!

    I know for a fact there will be no refund on annual tickets.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭ Beechwoodspark


    SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    As a train user.

    What annoys people is the reason. The old operational problem. Is it staff shortage or a few drivers out sick.

    Why not say that points where vandalised, broken, stolen, frozen or whatever.

    With the lack of knowledge of reason today makes people wonder how long to fix. More understanding then people might then realise it could take a few hours to fix.

    They must have an idea how to fix every issue. Say 30, 1 hour 2 hours. Gives people an idea what to do.

    It is very frustrating.

    Irish rail treat their customers with contempt

    Barry Kenny is a great man for the gimmicky photo op posing with leprechauns etc.

    Where are you this morning Barry? Nowhere to be seen that’s where.

    They issue these general meaningless statements akin to the height of soviet Russia when they were sending political prisoners to the Siberian gulags

    We demand to know when the service is back.

    We want real-time updates. This is basic


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭ Allinall


    It is very frustrating.

    Irish rail treat their customers with contempt

    Barry Kenny is a great man for the gimmicky photo op posing with leprechauns etc.

    Where are you this morning Barry?

    They issue these general meaningless statements akin to the height of soviet Russia when they were sending political prisoners to the Siberian gulags

    We demand to know when the service is back.

    We want real-time updates. This is basic

    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/due-to-a-major-signalling-fault-there-are-currently-no-services-operating-into-and-out-of-heust

    Real time update.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ Irishphotodesk


    SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    As a train user.

    What annoys people is the reason. The old operational problem. Is it staff shortage or a few drivers out sick.

    Why not say that points where vandalised, broken, stolen, frozen or whatever.

    With the lack of knowledge of reason today makes people wonder how long to fix. More understanding then people might then realise it could take a few hours to fix.

    They must have an idea how to fix every issue. Say 30, 1 hour 2 hours. Gives people an idea what to do.

    So are you saying people aren’t annoyed by the fact the train isn’t working it’s the generic “we are not giving details of what the fault is but we will fix it as fast as we can” response which annoys people ?

    In my experience the generic answer is done to please the masses, a general “technical problem” should be enough to tell people the service isn’t available and people can make alternative arrangements, Irish rail have identified a problem and before they investigate as to the cause and possible solution of the problem ....is it not better to put out a generic - we have a problem, service is down, please use alternative methods.

    I don’t know the issues involved, I heard it on the radio this morning and opted to take my car and use that option for today, yes, it’s more expensive for me but it’s not a regular occurrence.... I certainly won’t be seeking compensation for the train not working.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭ Beechwoodspark


    Allinall wrote: »

    Sorry no. That’s a press release with a time stamp. That’s not good enough


  • Registered Users Posts: 617 k99_64


    Really, your first question ..... will we get compo ?

    Yes, some workplaces will be without commuters for a period of time, I’m sure the majority of commuters can opt for a bus transfer if rail network isn’t operational.

    Irish rail said there are 'too many issues' so no buses being provided


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭ Allinall


    Sorry no. That’s a press release with a time stamp. That’s not good enough

    It might not be good enough for you, but it's a real time update.

    They also said more updates to follow, presumably when they have more useful information to impart?

    Do you want them to just magic up trains for you?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭ Beechwoodspark


    Allinall wrote: »
    It might not be good enough for you, but it's a real time update.

    They also said more updates to follow, presumably when they have more useful information to impart?

    Do you want them to just magic up trains for you?

    Go and google real time update.

    You havnt a notion what you are talking about with all due respect.

    It is not a press release on a webpage with an easily editable time stamp.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ Irishphotodesk


    It is very frustrating.

    Irish rail treat their customers with contempt

    Barry Kenny is a great man for the gimmicky photo op posing with leprechauns etc.

    Where are you this morning Barry? Nowhere to be seen that’s where.

    They issue these general meaningless statements akin to the height of soviet Russia when they were sending political prisoners to the Siberian gulags

    We demand to know when the service is back.

    We want real-time updates. This is basic

    You say they treat you (As a customer) with contempt, yet you still use their service ? Is this correct ?
    Do you have further examples of their contempt for you as a customer ?

    You say you want real time updates....another poster linked real time updates from Irish rail ... so you have real time updates.

    Comparing the rail line information to soviet Russia transfer of political prisoners .... really?? Why not go all out and compare it to the nazi’s ... you know for better likes and what not.

    Did you contact them yet about your compensation claim ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭ Colonel Claptrap


    I'd love to see push notifications from their Twitter feed, or a text message system.

    Ridiculous situation that I can check their 'real time' timetable on the website but arrive at the station to discover trains have been cancelled for the past hour and Twitter is the only reliable source of information.

    Annoying that I must fact check their own timetable against their social media account.

    This stuff is simple to fix.

    I learned about this morning's delay from the Irish Times breaking news push notification.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭ Beechwoodspark


    k99_64 wrote: »
    Irish rail said there are 'too many issues' so no buses being provided

    Typical

    Is that a Barry Kenny special I wonder

    Barry will be out chewing on sausages or something gimmicky like that for a photo op once the fuss dies down.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ Franz Von Peppercorn II


    And I’m sure that your annual ticket will work on a bus service for today if it’s the next best option.

    It’s a once off, or do you expect you will be compensated for the trains not working because you have an annual pass ?

    By all means if you believe you should be compensated contact their customer service and complain and “demand” your compensation, but please don’t get too upset if they ignore you or fail to give you anything in return.

    Of course people should be compensated. And as far as I know that’s the law.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭ Allinall


    Go and google real time update.

    You havnt a notion what you are talking about with all due respect.

    It is not a press release on a webpage with an easily editable time stamp.

    Are you implying that Irish rail are lying?

    How would they give a real time update other than through the press i.e. a press release?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ Irishphotodesk


    k99_64 wrote: »
    Irish rail said there are 'too many issues' so no buses being provided

    Then jump on with beechwood and get on the compo bus .... they forced you to get alternative transport due to their malfunction, they never offered alternative transport.


Advertisement