Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next 5! Next 5!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Workout 5 - Thursday 23rd: "Ladder Fartlek"

Interval | Target Pace | Actual Pace
    6:00 | 7:30/km | 5:43/km
    6:00 | 5:10/km | 4:44/km
    3:00 | 7:00/km | 6:26/km
    4:00 | 5:03/km | 4:40/km
    2:00 | 7:00/km | 6:26/km
    2:00 | 4:57/km | 4:36/km
    1:00 | 7:00/km | 6:43/km
    1:00 | 4:50/km | 4:12/km
    5:00 | 7:30/km | 6:21/km

Average pace: 5:24/km
    Total distance: 5.66 km
    Total time: 30:33

Fastest km: #2 (4:48)
    Slowest km: #1 (5:43 - warm-up)

Pretty happy with that after a long day. Made good use of my recovery time between each fast run, and smashed every target for the fast bits. Hoping to break 25:30 at parkrun on Saturday morning, assuming I can drag myself out of bed.

Edit:

Compare/Contrast with the same workout in March 2018:
    Interval | Target Pace | Actual Pace
    6:00 | 7:40/km | 5:44/km
    6:00 | 5:10/km | 4:48/km
    3:00 | 7:10/km | 6:17/km
    4:00 | 5:03/km | 4:52/km
    2:00 | 7:10/km | 6:16/km
    2:00 | 4:57/km | 4:40/km
    1:00 | 7:10/km | 6:40/km
    1:00 | 4:50/km | 4:19/km
    5:00 | 7:40/km | 6:17/km

Average pace: 5:27/km
    Total distance: 5.60 km
    Total time: 30:30

Fastest km: #2 (4:47)
    Slowest km: #1 (5:43 - warm-up)

It looks like I've got faster for the fast bits, but last year I was pushing harder during the recovery phases. That was a week after I set a new PB of 24:34 at parkrun Limerick. Might be on to break that sooner than I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just a couple of questions....where are the target paces coming from? Are you doing any easy running. It seems to be workout after workout.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just a couple of questions....where are the target paces coming from? Are you doing any easy running. It seems to be workout after workout.

I've been using a running app to keep track of my times and distances for the last few years. I got access to a training plan (it used to be called "Pace Academy") about a year and a half ago. The idea is to input your most recent 5k time and your target time, and it gives you a series of 5 workouts to help you hit that target. You need to do each one to unlock the next.

I think I put in 27:30 -> 25:30 back in the spring, but didn't have the free time or the energy to do the actual training. :o The local soccer season ended a fortnight ago so I've been trying to push myself a bit harder since then. Hence the 5 workouts over the last 8 days. I'd done very little regular running throughout the spring because of GAA and soccer training.

I got to one parkrun at the start of April, ran 10 miles around Lahinch on April 7th, and did 2 back-to-back 5 mile jogs on April 21st. This month I completed the half-marathon at the Great Limerick Run on May 5th and the Run Clare half-marathon in Lisdoonvarna on May 12th, but ran them both at very handy paces. So I've plenty of miles in the legs, but no consistency at all.

I think I put in 27:30 -> 25:30 back in the spring, but didn't have the free time or the energy to do the actual training.

Did some thinking about this since last night. I actually put in 25:30 as my baseline and 24:30 as my target. Would have been just after the Barefield 5 miles, where I did the first 5k in 25:30 (albeit on a mostly down-hill section of the course). That was back on the 17th of February. Tomorrow morning should be an interesting experiment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I've been using a running app to keep track of my times and distances for the last few years. I got access to a training plan (it used to be called "Pace Academy") about a year and a half ago. The idea is to input your most recent 5k time and your target time, and it gives you a series of 5 workouts to help you hit that target. You need to do each one to unlock the next.

I think I put in 27:30 -> 25:30 back in the spring, but didn't have the free time or the energy to do the actual training. :o The local soccer season ended a fortnight ago so I've been trying to push myself a bit harder since then. Hence the 5 workouts over the last 8 days. I'd done very little regular running throughout the spring because of GAA and soccer training.

I got to one parkrun at the start of April, ran 10 miles around Lahinch on April 7th, and did 2 back-to-back 5 mile jogs on April 21st. This month I completed the half-marathon at the Great Limerick Run on May 5th and the Run Clare half-marathon in Lisdoonvarna on May 12th, but ran them both at very handy paces. So I've plenty of miles in the legs, but no consistency at all.

Firstly I wouldn't do any more than 2 workouts a week. It seriously increases injury risk to overdo things.

Secondly, (and please bear in mind I have no knowledge of the plan you are following) all plans are designed with a purpose. Rest days and easy days are every bit as important as the workouts. Slow running is hugely important too. I see that you play football. If your coach prescribed that you practice kick outs to the 21 and 45, both to the left wing and right you would do that. You wouldn't just belt the longest kick out up the middle of the pitch. If you were trying the crossbar challenge you wouldn't take a huge kick which sailed miles over the bar and consider it a success. Target paces in a workout are the same. The plan is working on different things you need to improve your running. Try to hit the paces the same way you would try to hit the crossbar.

• Advertisement

25:32 at parkrun this morning. Started too fast and overheated after two kilometres. Finished fairly strong but still have some way to go before I'm back at my best.

Advertisement