Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

murphaph wrote: »
    I'd be incensed if I was an EU citizen denied my vote in the UK yesterday. I received a letter months ago from my commune here in Germany which I needed to fill out so they could contact the Irish authorities and ensure my vote there was nullified so I could receive a polling card here, which I did weeks ago. I will be able to vote on Sunday (votes are always on Sunday here so the most people can participate) unlike many of my fellow EU citizens in the UK yesterday. It's really disgraceful and will really get the backs up of many MEPs who still need to sign off on any deal the UK might ever make with the EU.

It shows how much better systems there are in mainland Europe countries. I'm resident in NI ~5years and received a polling card here and at my parents in Donegal. I should have been taken off the register in Donegal after informing them I was no longer resident when called for jury duty. Clearly the UK don't communicate with home nations the way Germany has done so in your case.

Examples like this show the inability the UK (and Ireland in this case) have to implement proper systems, and why the UK's schemes for the border are just nonsensical.

It seems the UK is sleepwalking down in a very dark direction. A lot of scandals such as this, and no one seems to be that bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    It shows how much better systems there are in mainland Europe countries. I'm resident in NI ~5years and received a polling card here and at my parents in Donegal. I should have been taken off the register in Donegal after informing them I was no longer resident when called for jury duty. Clearly the UK don't communicate with home nations the way Germany has done so in your case.

Examples like this show the inability the UK (and Ireland in this case) have to implement proper systems, and why the UK's schemes for the border are just nonsensical.

It seems the UK is sleepwalking down in a very dark direction. A lot of scandals such as this, and no one seems to be that bothered.
    Anddd...where's that dubious Brexit party funding going? Council friends?

(I know, CT. How amazingly coincidental though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is it known what time she is meeting Brady today?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

How did Irish voters in the UK get on? I'm assuming they got to vote as we seem to have the same voting rights as British citizens. But then again I'd have assumed other EU citizens would have been able to vote for their own parliament too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

iguana wrote: »
    How did Irish voters in the UK get on? I'm assuming they got to vote as we seem to have the same voting rights as British citizens. But then again I'd have assumed other EU citizens would have been able to vote for their own parliament too.

I've been registered for years. Voted yesterday. No problem whatsoever.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

iguana wrote: »

No problem except I never received a polling card , this could be seen as Islington Council trying to stop non comrades voting , or it got lost in the rush to arrange an election on the hoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Have thought for months that the leavers need the harsh dose of reality of a no deal brexit.bit I don't get is that the public are all for no deal.do they think that things will stay the same as now with a no deal.

I think I've come round to this opinion at this stage. There's simply no reasoning with them by now. Logic has left the building. I know its not all the people over there but the sensible ones don't seem to be able to reign in the crazies.
    The vitriol on twitter and other platforms is mind boggling. Watching QT last night was almost surreal. One woman who claimed to be a remainer and to have voted remain said she voted for the Brexit Party yesterday ! Another guy claimed he was a lifelong Tory and voted Brexit Party because of the carry on of the current politicians, I mean FFS, pot & kettle come to mind.
    In all the debate and back and forth (to be fair there were some decent points made) nobody mentioned an electorate being allowed to change their minds or that the referendum was questionable at best. Nothing.
    They're still in unicorn and sunny uplands territory and its going to take the awful shock of a crash out to bring them to their senses in around 10 years or so.

Its like they think changing PM will change the deal from the EU. I'm not actually sure what the benefit of ousting May is tbh, I'm no fan of her but it'll change absolutely nothing and they'll still be looking at the negotiated deal or no-deal. Still arguing with themselves.

As an aside, wouldn't it be hilarious if Boris didn't get the gig ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Is it known what time she is meeting Brady today?

9 AM according to Beth Rigby

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1131825523171254272

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'd worry with May going it makes No Deal more likely,

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

CptMackey wrote: »
    I don't know if people spend much time browsing Twitter today but the more I read about Brexit the more I think that a we need a no deal to happen.

I just cant see any of the problems in the UK being sorted without some serious pain. This will hurt here obviously but the vitriol on Twitter is scary. People calling remain voters traitors.

The country is tearing its self apart. The Brexit party seem to want to negotiate with the EU even.

Yep, may take 10 years +, but the same way we can look back to the day we joined the EEC, way up the good and the bad and then know how overwhelmingly positive our membership is- they will be able to look back and see how negative leaving was.

It's like telling somebody a pot is hot - they automatically touch it to see how hot.

Anyways, the UK's rhetoric, lies & insults have used up all sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

devnull wrote: »

Sure its all going to be great according to the mogster once they leave the "dead hand" of the EU.he's just been on sky news in past while spouting the same lies again.WTO here they go etc,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Russman wrote: »
    I think I've come round to this opinion at this stage. There's simply no reasoning with them by now. Logic has left the building. I know its not all the people over there but the sensible ones don't seem to be able to reign in the crazies.

I have a certain amount of sympathy for those that are to put up with those that have drunk the kool-aid. However, this is a big opportunity for all of those to make their voice heard. Sure, historically the EU elections are seen as a waste of time in the UK, and this one even more so, but clearly the likes of Farage will use any votes as a decision by the electorate on No Deal.

Therefore it is up to any and all voters that don't want this to get out and vote. The angst that some remain voters were going through in terms of how to vote tactically, waste of breath, concentrate on getting the vote out. Just vote for a remainer, if all those that voted in the ref come out and vote, rather than the normal 38% in the EU elections, then it is likely that the Remain side will at least win the vote vote share if not the seats.

And since they are due to leave in October the number of seats is not that relevant.

So the results will tell us a lot about how much people really care. If Brexit Party do as well as the polls are suggesting then the UK deserves a NO Deal Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

gooch2k9 wrote: »

Our registration is opt in.

There's a wile chance your parents are still registering you.

Not withstanding obvious admin error.

The courts service wouldn't contact the local authority on your behalf anyway. You need to get onto County Hall in Lifford and sort it out. Quick signed letter should do it.

What Murphaph stated was MEANT to happen in Britain yesterday. Just the Brits couldn't be bothered it seems.

I loved some of the comments of polling staff, where some of the affected were told to "fly home and vote".

• Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

With Boris as the next party leader, he won’t fear No Deal the same way May does.

I think there’ll be a general election before the end of October, so Farage could be PM by then :eek:

The lack of any real outrage at the disenfranchising of a certain segment of voters is very worrying. That they are EU citizens seems to be enough for most people to simply shrug it off, as if they are somehow less deserving of a vote.

It comes down, IMO, to the opinion of many in the UK that a these are UK elections, almost nothing to do with the EU. There were plenty of people on UK radio, twitter etc, complaining that the UK were being stopped from counting of even publishing exit polls, under the rules of the EU and how dare the EU tell the UK how to deal with its own elections.

It completely escapes them that this is a EU wide election and as such why would you release data prior to others voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

c_murph wrote: »
    I think there’ll be a general election before the end of October, so Farage could be PM by then :eek:

Not possible with FPtP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭20silkcut

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Sure its all going to be great according to the mogster once they leave the "dead hand" of the EU.he's just been on sky news in past while spouting the same lies again.WTO here they go etc,etc.

It will be great for some parts of the British economy and a tiny elite.

Surely there has to be a majority in the U.K. against this madness.

You tube comment sections , Twitter etc and all the outspoken politicians are all even more rabid than they were a few months ago.

Where is Dominic grieve , Kenneth Clarke , Jason hunter , Anna soubry etc it’s even hard to come up with a list of prominent remainers/soft brexiteers. It’s like they all collectively took the foot off the gas after April 12th.
    That is the real sin here in my opinion.

Out of that million people who marched in London it’s incredible that no figurehead has emerged

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Who is likely to replace May if she resigns?

With Boris as the next party leader, he won’t fear No Deal the same way May does.

Farage will struggle to get elected, never mind PM.

Boris will be faced with the exact same issues that TM has faced. She set out with the 'No Deal is better than a Bad deal' line, and clearly wanted to get out. She wanted, still wants, to deliver Brexit. It is not because she wants to stay in the EU that has driven her to the position she is, it is facts.

She has seen the reports, she has seen the integration, she has listened to business people. She would have been told about the issues on security, data sharing. She has seen the costs of tariffs, the effects on trade.

This is a woman that has wanted out of the ECJ for years. That has a very clear and illdisguised issue with immigrants. She wants to leave those, and leaving the EU is the best way to achieve her goals.

This narrative that she has somehow always been pro-EU is just nonsense. She has been beaten down by the facts, just as Davis, Raab and all the others have been. Boris was in the cabinet, Leadsome as well, and they signed off on each stage of the negotiations so even they can see the reality.

The leader may change, and there is no doubt that TM has been a terribly poor leader, but the facts won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

CptMackey wrote: »
    I don't know if people spend much time browsing Twitter today but the more I read about Brexit the more I think that a we need a no deal to happen.

I just cant see any of the problems in the UK being sorted without some serious pain. This will hurt here obviously but the vitriol on Twitter is scary. People calling remain voters traitors.

The country is tearing its self apart. The Brexit party seem to want to negotiate with the EU even.

Twitter is not representative of the UK population as a whole.

It's a mixture of trolls, bots and extremists.

If you go onto any of the UK parliament youtube live-streams all you see in the chatbox are Nazi and far right rhetoric flying past faster than anyone could possibly read or reply to them. It's all intended to create a heuristic that it's normal and acceptable to hold these extremist views.

Goebbels said it in the 1940s, Lie big and stick to it, and the people think that it must be the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

branie2 wrote: »

Much like this entire process who knows . it will be a **** show . Boris is the favourite but he was favourite or at least at the head of the pack last time too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The rest of parliament still fears no deal though and can block things whilst the number remain as they are.

If Farage does happen to get a few MP's in an election, remember they have zero at the moment, I still wouldn't see him having enough to make him PM. Would need him to actually get elected for a start and then all the current tory MP's to change to Farages lighter shade of blue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Looks like she might step down as leader but carry on as PM until leadership contest is dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

branie2 wrote: »
    any tory mp can put there name forward then the parliamentary party hold a series of votes to whittle it down to the last 2. the general tory party membership then hold a vote.

if brois can get down to the last two it is expected he will easily win because he is (bizarrely) loved by the tory membership.
    however he is generally held in low regard in the parliamentary party (obliviously) so there is a chance he wont get the votes to get on the ballot. again though this will lead to an even deeper split in the tories so many mp's will be afraid of enraging their own party members if they dont support boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

VinLieger wrote: »
    Not possible with FPtP

It is if Brexit has still not been delivered. Farage won’t just disappear, he’ll be campaigning that the only way to deliver Brexit is to vote for the Brexit Party.

Of course in anything approaching more normal circumstances I’d agree with you. But they’re a one issue party, and if there’s an election before the end of October, it’ll be the only issue on the campaign trail.

Electoral Commission released a statement.

https://twitter.com/ElectoralCommUK/status/1131559651840004096

Basically
    - It's not our fault, it's yours
    - Go home and vote there instead.
    They could have solved the majority of the issues by having copies of the declaration in every polling station and allow the voters to sign them at the station.

That would have been a perfectly acceptable solution.The only reason they didn't do this, is because the Prime Minister wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Akrasia wrote: »
    They could have solved the majority of the issues by having copies of the declaration in every polling station and allow the voters to sign them at the station.

That would have been a perfectly acceptable solution.The only reason they didn't do this, is because the Prime Minister wouldn't allow it.

It's quite ridiculous actually. The commission complain that they hadn't enough time to prepare for the election but they were planning to have one in contingency since the start of the year.

Bye bye Theresa. You were the worst PM in modern history, until the next one.

Looks like she might step down as leader but carry on as PM until leadership contest is dealt with.

She's gone on the 7th of June.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It is if Brexit has still not been delivered. Farage won’t just disappear, he’ll be campaigning that the only way to deliver Brexit is to vote for the Brexit Party.

Of course in anything approaching more normal circumstances I’d agree with you. But they’re a one issue party, and if there’s an election before the end of October, it’ll be the only issue on the campaign trail.

No.. It isn't really , the way that their FPTP voting works even if the Brexit party held on to the % of votes that they currently show in the Euro polls, they'd only get something in the order of 25-30 seats and Farage , just as he always has will struggle to get elected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement