Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First visit to a gay bar in Dubln

Options
  • 16-04-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭

Hi i really want to go to my first gay bar, im in dublin on thursday night im 32 , kind of nervous and xcited at the prospect , im also not out yet. just wondering where is best place to try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'd suggest Pantibar or Bridie's Bar next to the main George entrance. Bridie's will have an older crowd but still a mix of younger guys as well. The main George next door will open later (around 9pm) but does not usually get busy until well after 10pm on a Thursday night.

Street 66 on Parliament St is also a nice, spacious venue although the crowd can be spread out there as it's quite large. It might be easier to strike up a conversation with someone else in the first two bars I mentioned.

Good luck and I hope you have a fun night! People are generally friendly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

There's a quiz on in street 66 on Thursday so will be very busy.

It generally attracts a mixed crowd,age, sex wise.

The George is a bar and club as another poster has said.

The bar on ground floor attracts a mainly older crowd, mostly male.
    It has an old bar feel, dark wood but clean and polished up.

The club, separate entrance will be an experience. Some thinks it attracts a younger crowd but can be mixed age wise.

The Thursday of Easter weekend might be a very different crowd, tourists etc.

Pantibar is a bar with music, the bar is on the ground floor, there are more seats downstairs.

Enjoy your visit and the experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Just as an aside, in the event that you're not mad about The George, Street 66 or Pantibar (though I'd say you'll enjoy them, they're all friendly places), Jack Nealon's right across the road from Pantibar is good too. It's more of a traditional pub but with mostly gay patrons.

Have a great night!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Try Street 66 on Parliament St and perhaps Pantibar.

We were all nervous on our first visit to a gay bar, its part of the thrill as well, I guess.

Remember, no one will know its your first time going into a gay bar,so dont fret. A lot of the nervousness is in "your" head, its normal.

When you go in you "might" think "everyone is looking at me", "everyone knows its my first time"
    The reality is , no one will know its your first time and yes some guys will look at you,so what!

Go and enjoy yourself , even if you only stay for one drink, you will have broken your "duck" as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

How did it go OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 PointHop123

Any news on when / if Penny Lane is opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

hi guys there was a change of plan and i actually never made it to dublin that night. hopefully soon though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Any news on when / if Penny Lane is opening?

Would imagine it was some kind of a hoax/publicity catcher. Panti's profits from the world tour mean that bars probably aren't worthwhile ventures.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cgcsb wrote: »
    Would imagine it was some kind of a hoax/publicity catcher. Panti's profits from the world tour mean that bars probably aren't worthwhile ventures.

Its fully fitted out and is having trouble with its fire safety cert. And I suspect that the profits from touring are probably less than what can be made from a pub - its not like its an arena tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How can you be sure your not approaching a straight person, just luck of the draw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Gael23 wrote: »
    How can you be sure your not approaching a straight person, just luck of the draw?

This is kinda the point of a gay bar. The demographics are reversed compared to the outside world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Well, I guess they tell you they are straight :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Same goes for straight places. How can you be sure you're not approaching a gay person?

Just luck of the draw?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

No guarantees but I guess the odds are somewhat in your favour in a gay bar!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

How can you be sure you're not approaching someone in a relationship?

How can you be sure you're approaching someone who's looking to hook up and not just out for a beer?

How can you be sure you're approaching someone who's attracted to you and not into the total fittie 2 tables down.

Its always luck of the draw. If you're gay and in a gay bar, the odds improve a bit. Life (same approaching anyone) is still luck.

Advertisement