Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Shop Street look so bad?

• 17-05-2019 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

The new paving they've done is already chipped and uneven. Can't imagine they're gonna leave it like that are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That's only a temporary surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm in my mid 30s and still waiting for them to put a surface on it that isn't a mess after a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I don’t know why they don’t just take up what’s there and tar the lot of it as far as o briens corner and jury’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭zell12

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'm in my mid 30s and still waiting for them to put a surface on it that isn't a mess after a couple of months.
    Like this one? :p
    gway-shop-street1.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It would make sense for them to Tarmac the whole road from brown Thomas corner to Jurys .
    Have benches and flower pots all along .
    But a gardai presence at all times during shop/ restaurant / opening times to prevent the usual open drinking that goes on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

It would make sense for them to Tarmac the whole road from brown Thomas corner to Jurys .
    Have benches and flower pots all along .
    But a gardai presence at all times during shop/ restaurant / opening times to prevent the usual open drinking that goes on .

the open drinking laws area for law abiding workers that can afford to pay the fine, problem drinkers giving the city and bad name /image aren't fined because sure they're broke from drinking, so to sum this up, the only people exempt from the open drinking on the spot fines are down and out problem drinkers, the arts festival and horse racing crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Council.action. Do nothing

People... Look at the state of the place.

Council. Action. Do something

People.... Look at the state of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Dont wonder into town much, but on a recant the City looks very run down and scattered.. Went in with someone who went to college there a few years (more than a few years ago) and they even said it was very run down looking..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Milly33 wrote: »
    Dont wonder into town much, but on a recant the City looks very run down and scattered.. Went in with someone who went to college there a few years (more than a few years ago) and they even said it was very run down looking..
    Where specifically does the city centre look 'run down', keeping in mind that Shop st is undergoing resurfacing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

The most centre part looks very run down, inc shop fronts, and then all that area around Debanams looks dirty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Buttermilk Lane.
    Always found that a depressing short cut. Always dog poo beside a downpipe. Always put me off a lunch.

Tarmac would be much cheaper to lay and more even if done in any way well. It must be ten times cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Think Tarmac is too cheap looking for a main pedestrian area

I think the main issue is the paving used, the stones are too small, meaning their is a higher chance of them becoming loose and uneven

Look at the paving in other cites, for example the paving stones on Grafton street are much bigger then the paving used on Shop Street

Think Tarmac is too cheap looking for a main pedestrian area

I think the main issue is the paving used, the stones are too small, meaning their is a higher chance of them becoming loose and uneven

Look at the paving in other cites, for example the paving stones on Grafton street are much bigger then the paving used on Shop Street
    Weren't the first load of paving slabs big? The slippey ones :pac:

I'd always heard it was the medieval sewers and other underlying foundational issues that keeps causing it to go wonky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

the problem with shop street is the water level at full tide, believe it or not the water level seeps up around shop street on a full tide and is undermining the ground underneath causing significant problems over the years, the job they are doing now is supposedly a job for life with new techniques involved, but time will tell

the problem with shop street is the water level at full tide, believe it or not the water level seeps up around shop street on a full tide and is undermining the ground underneath causing significant problems over the years, the job they are doing now is supposedly a job for life with new techniques involved, but time will tell

I'll choose not, unless you have some evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So at high tide the water is level at the Spanish Arch yet it magically rises up under Shop Street to undermine the street, how can it climb uphill in Key Street from a water level that is down at the Spanish Arch, going by your thinking the whole of Key Street, Spanish Arch, Cross Street should be under water at high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    , going by your thinking the whole of Key Street, Spanish Arch, Cross Street should be under water at high tide.

A few times a year, they are. A few times a year is enough.

BTW we spell it Quay St here.

DaCor wrote: »
    I'll choose not, unless you have some evidence.

It comes from a council engineer whom has been involved in trying to solve the problem on shop street and other areas, I'm sure a quick ring to the council could get you clarification on it
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    So at high tide the water is level at the Spanish Arch yet it magically rises up under Shop Street to undermine the street, how can it climb uphill in Key Street from a water level that is down at the Spanish Arch, going by your thinking the whole of Key Street, Spanish Arch, Cross Street should be under water at high tide.

My wording wasnt perfect but the water table rises dramatically at times of heavy tide combined with heavy rain, which you'll agree we've had plenty of since shop street was upgraded last, it doesn't have to come up on the street to undermine the ground underneath causing the problem, if your down that way stop up and ask any of the lads working there about the materials they're using there to try and stop damage recurring, they're all very sound ;)

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sur les paves, la mer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So nobody actually knows why Shop Street looks so bad?

In fact we are not actually sure if it actually looks bad at all.

It could be argued that it looks bad, but, y'know, that could be just temporary.

It may have looked worse in the past, but who is to say that wasn't when it was in reality actually looking good. But that could be nostalgia - who knows really.

It may have looked better in the past too. Remember those big shiny flagstones instead of those shitey cobbles. But they were fierce slippery though.

God, it really is hard to call. And that's without bringing in questions of water-levels and floods that may or may-not be floods, just, maybe, a big load of water hanging around on the streets up to no good.

Arghus wrote: »
    So nobody actually knows why Shop Street looks so bad?

In fact we are not actually sure if it actually looks bad at all.

It could be argued that it looks bad, but, y'know, that could be just temporary.

It may have looked worse in the past, but who is to say that wasn't when it was in reality actually looking good. But that could be nostalgia - who knows really.

It may have looked better in the past too. Remember those big shiny flagstones instead of those shitey cobbles. But they were fierce slippery though.

God, it really is hard to call. And that's without bringing in questions of water-levels and floods that may or may-not be floods, just, maybe, a big load of water hanging around on the streets up to no good.

Tis almost like the world isn't a simple place with binary answers to everything. That can't be true though or nobody would have anything to get worked up about online

Damn, you got me, I need to up my game a bit, I'm off to post my stories in the conspiracy theories thread, they'll believe my pie in the sky stories

Flood Street didn't get its name anecdotally.

It ain't rocket science to google "flood galway quay street" and see fairly recent examples of where king tides have swamped the street.

It doesn't have to happen every day or week for this feature to impact the stability of the paving.

Flood Street didn't get its name anecdotally.

It ain't rocket science to google "flood galway quay street" and see fairly recent examples of where king tides have swamped the street.

It doesn't have to happen every day or week for this feature to impact the stability of the paving.

Please read the thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

I was walking down the newly done section on Shop st by Easons and overall I'm left uninspired and disappointed with the look.

Is this the planned finish for the whole of the street?

topcat77 wrote:
    I was walking down the newly done section on Shop st by Easons and overall I'm left uninspired and disappointed with the look.

topcat77 wrote:

I walked there a few days ago for the first time in a long while. I noticed paving stone type of things on both sides and tarmac in the centre. It looked a little dull perhaps yes but it was even and otherwise fine.

Moving up the street towards the four corners area was dreadful. Was it Bob the Builder who put that down? Seriously though, I wonder about the company that laid it and what other work they have done on streets or cities elsewhere.

topcat77 wrote: »

It's not finished, they're just paused for the peak tourist season.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

I'm just not a fan of a tarmacadam finish. It might be practical but it looks cheap and not what you'd expect on the premier pedestrian retail street in the west of Ireland.

• Advertisement

It's not finished, they're just paused for the peak tourist season.

But is the bit around Easons what the whole street will look like up to the camera shop when they have finished? And then that's the end of the shop street paving story?

Advertisement