Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Camping Crew Podcast

Options
  • 09-05-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all

I hope that it is Ok for me to post here. If not please remove.

Myself and a mate Aaron have started a podcast called The Camping Crew. It is an Irish Motorhome and Campervan focused camping podcast. We are 7 episodes into it at this stage and would love you to check it out.

We discuss topics like Camping news, Campsites, Apps, Websites, Camping Products, Tips and Hacks and general camping chat.

You can listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Alexa and lots of other podcast players and apps.

We'd love to get your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks
    Chris Byrne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

Subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭IAmChrisByrne

jamesd wrote: »
    Subscribed.

Great, thanks James. Hope you enjoy them.

We welcome any suggestions on things to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Great idea for a podcast fair play!

Just listened to Episode 1 - Welcome and it is interesting.

One thing, it sounded like someone was continually moving their mouse scroll wheel during the recording and it was very distracting to listen to.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Great idea for a podcast fair play!

Just listened to Episode 1 - Welcome and it is interesting.

One thing, it sounded like someone was continually moving their mouse scroll wheel during the recording and it was very distracting to listen to.

Thanks for listening Ben. We had some sound issues alright on the first one. They should be resolved now. We are learning as we go but you should see an improvement as you listen to the other episodes.

Thanks for listening Ben. We had some sound issues alright on the first one. They should be resolved now. We are learning as we go but you should see an improvement as you listen to the other episodes.

Yes, that sound issue is resolved.

Have since listened to Episodes 2 to 7 and have really enjoyed them.

Great idea for a podcast and keep up the good work. :)

• Advertisement

Episode 8 of the podcast was released last night. Let us know what you think.

Episode 8 of the podcast was released last night. Let us know what you think.

Another very enjoyable podcast - fair play!

Yes, please get an interview with 15/16 year olds to hearing their perspective on camping! Would be very interested in hearing those answers!!

Suggestion for ye. In the Episode summary section, where ye detail the contents of the podcast, could ye include the start/end time for the particular sections?

For example, Camp life: 24:45 - 28:10

This would be especially helpful when relistening to a podcast to find out information on a product recommended, campsite reviewed etc.

Thanks and keep up the good work. smile.png

Really enjoying the pod casts, listen to them while I mow the lawn and on no 6 now, love the site reviews and good to hear about the sites that suits families.

jamesd wrote: »
    Really enjoying the pod casts, listen to them while I mow the lawn and on no 6 now, love the site reviews and good to hear about the sites that suits families.

Thanks for the nice feedback James. You’ll enjoy episode 8 a lot so as we have an interview with two of the younger members of The Camping Crew.

We are currently planning future episodes. We have had some really good suggestions so far and are planning to integrate them into the podcasts.

We would love to hear more of your suggested topics and items to cover. You can leave them in the comments here or email us at campingcrewpodcast@gmail.com

Thanks again for listening and the great feedback.

• Advertisement

Episode 9 of The Camping Crew podcast is out now.

On this Episode we have an interview with Jon from Motorhomecraic. We revisit Nore Valley Campsite. We talk Habitation checks, bike covers, bike trailers. We interview Lilly to get a teenagers view of camping. And lots more.

https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Episode 9 of The Camping Crew podcast is out now.

On this Episode we have an interview with Jon from Motorhomecraic. We revisit Nore Valley Campsite. We talk Habitation checks, bike covers, bike trailers. We interview Lilly to get a teenagers view of camping. And lots more.

Just had a listen there!

Interesting to hear the thoughts of a 14 year old! Please interview a 16 year old male/female that is not a member of your extended family and has not been camping since they were a baby. Sure all teenagers are different, but I think it's unrealistic to portray that all teenagers love camping (Aaron mentioned his boy stopped camping at 15). It can be very difficult to coak them along.

Also, with regard to bringing your kids' friends' with you camping, how does that work from a transport perspective (most vans have only 4 seatbelts), from a sleeping-arrangements perspective? Maybe something ye can discuss.

Nice to hear Aaron give the Nore Valley campsite a rating (7/10) and that he previously had a poor experience there. I think ye should both rate all the sites that ye visit. Not all campsites in Ireland are up to scratch and this needs to be called out.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Just had a listen there!

Interesting to hear the thoughts of a 14 year old! Please interview a 16 year old male/female that is not a member of your extended family and has not been camping since they were a baby. Sure all teenagers are different, but I think it's unrealistic to portray that all teenagers love camping (Aaron mentioned his boy stopped camping at 15). It can be very difficult to coak them along.

Also, with regard to bringing your kids' friends' with you camping, how does that work from a transport perspective (most vans have only 4 seatbelts), from a sleeping-arrangements perspective? Maybe something ye can discuss.

Nice to hear Aaron give the Nore Valley campsite a rating (7/10) and that he previously had a poor experience there. I think ye should both rate all the sites that ye visit. Not all campsites in Ireland are up to scratch and this needs to be called out.

Thanks again for the feedback. We do plan to interview a range of people, including older teenagers over future episodes. This part of the podcast is quite popular.

We’ll cover off bringing family and friends soon too as well. That a good suggestion also.

I’m in two minds about rating or scoring the campsites on the podcast as a lot of other places do that. I was happy just to speak of my experience (good or bad) on that particular visit. I’ll have a chat about it offline with Aaron. It usually takes a few visits though to give a fully informed rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I've just listened to the first two podcasts and it seems like the only criteria for rating campsites is whether you have to pay for showers. Please consider the all-in price for camping including children and older teenagers, awning, electricity, dogs etc. While the cost per night for a couple or small family can be quite reasonable, a larger family with older kids can cost > €50 per night at some of these campsites with free showers.

db wrote: »
    I've just listened to the first two podcasts and it seems like the only criteria for rating campsites is whether you have to pay for showers. Please consider the all-in price for camping including children and older teenagers, awning, electricity, dogs etc. While the cost per night for a couple or small family can be quite reasonable, a larger family with older kids can cost > €50 per night at some of these campsites with free showers.

Thanks for the feedback DB. Keep listening to the newer episodes. The shower bit is just a running joke between Aaron and I and we talk about it less and less. We don’t really base our like or dislike of a campsite on this one thing.

When we speak about the campsites we speak from our own experience. You are right though some campsites do add on to the price for every little thing and it can get very expensive.

Love the camp site reviews, have 2 kids myself and interested in the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Enjoying the podcast, keep them coming, thanks for making it!

Thanks for the comments guys. We enjoy making them and the positive feedback is great.

Episode 10 of The Camping Crew podcast is out now.

On this Episode we give a shout to Ally, Joe and Ben for their feedback & suggestions. We chat about our recent visit to Bayview Dungarvan. We discuss Ridge Monkeys, camping apps, camping with additional family members, campsite checks before you head home and Camping Hacks

Episode 12 of The Camping Crew podcast is out now.

On this Episode we discuss clamping in Bundoran #Donegal, Brittany Ferries Pont Aven sailings being delayed. Camping at Festivals. Lough Arrow Camping Park in #Sligo. Lots of new Camping hacks. Spend priority, van names and safety.
    #CampingHacks #Motorhome #Campervan #Vanlife #Camping

• Advertisement

Episode 13 of our podcast has just gone live. It’s available on most podcast platform's.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

Subscribed today and binge listened to the last four podcasts in the car. It really feels like listening to a live radio programme. Love the range of topics covered and interviews. Very informative and accessible. Look forward to the next podcasts. Well Done and keep 'em coming :)

Itineoman wrote: »
    Subscribed today and binge listened to the last four podcasts in the car. It really feels like listening to a live radio programme. Love the range of topics covered and interviews. Very informative and accessible. Look forward to the next podcasts. Well Done and keep 'em coming :)

Thanks for subscribing and listening @Itineoman

Glad your enjoying them.

Episode 14 of The Camping Crew podcast is out now.

On this Episode we interview Kieran form the Phoenix Club. We talk Vango Airbeam pumps, accessories stores, arriving to campsites and facing doors.

Episode 15 of The Camping Crew podcast is out now.
    On this Episode we discuss Aarons recent visit to Lough Ennell Co West Meath. Visibility in Left Hand drive Motorhomes. Wild camping by any other name. Advice for first time buyers and an interview with Aoife of Cara Motorhomes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Really good interview with Aoife I thought. Great work lads

Two episodes in one week folks

Episode 16 of The Camping Crew podcast is out now.

On this Episode we discuss Aarons recent visit to Strand Camping in Doonbeg Co Clare. We have an interview with Amanda from Strand Camping.

We begin our camping in mainland Europe series by discussing preparations for camping abroad.

We have two listener product reviews to share and listener follow up discussion on Wild camping and Campsite prices in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

As a potential future camper van owner have been listening to the podcasts and really enjoyed them. It's great to get the Irish perspective rather than a bunch of Americans banging on about airstreams.

As a newbie would be really interested in pros/cons of different camper vans / motorhomes. Maybe some reviews of popular / available models for those not in the know. Love the idea of a Volkswagen California type setup but god they're so expensive! Maybe a section on camper conversions for us in the cheap seats?

Looking forward to the section on Europe as that's part of the dream. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Gandorf wrote: »

As a newbie would be really interested in pros/cons of different camper vans / motorhomes. Maybe some reviews of popular / available models for those not in the know. .

Might not be practical to do reviews of specific models but you could talk about the pros and cons of the various sizes and layouts e.g. VW / bongo sized, bed over cab, rear fixed bed etc

• Advertisement

Thanks Gandorf and Alkers for listening to the podcasts and for your posts and suggestions. Aaron and I really appreciate it. We will certainly bring up this topic on an episode very soon.

Advertisement