Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trinity Grass Track

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Whats the best way to access the track when coming from St Stephens green. Will head down at lunch time today

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Whats the best way to access the track when coming from St Stephens green. Will head down at lunch time today

Go in the Nassau St entrance, straight through and turn right. Pass the 'Sphere' sculpture in front of Ussher library, down the ramp/steps to College Park and there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Does anyone know will the BHAA Trinity Track race be on again this year? It's a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Murph_D wrote: »
    This is what I was told:

“The track is available apart from the cricket up until the 27th of June then takes a break until 22nd July because of the summer series happening in college.”

Same as last year. Frustrating but what can you do.

No running group has exclusive right to it, but if a running group wants to use it they must pay a fee.

Individuals are free to run on it, but common sense needs to come into it when busy.

Slow joggers on the inside track is pretty annoying I have to say. I dont understand what they can't use an outer lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

This is what I was told:

“The track is available apart from the cricket up until the 27th of June then takes a break until 22nd July because of the summer series happening in college.”

How annoying. The track is bugger all use to me in August and September as the track season is done then. It’s July when I need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Slow joggers on the inside track is pretty annoying I have to say. I dont understand what they can't use an outer lane.

The outer lanes are for overtaking.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Very different rules compare to other dublin tracks. Rule was you shout track to the people ahead for them to move out.

It doesn't bother me as trinity usually quiet while i am there but also i keep off the track for recovery.

The outer lanes are for overtaking.

Yes but if the inside lane is choked with joggers the whole way around then you spend your laps almost permanently in the outer lane or else weaving in and out. My point is that if you're jogging then surely it doesn't matter what lane you're in but if you're doing a fixed pace/distance then using the 400m inside lane is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Yes but if the inside lane is choked with joggers the whole way around then you spend your laps almost permanently in the outer lane or else weaving in and out. My point is that if you're jogging then surely it doesn't matter what lane you're in but if you're doing a fixed pace/distance then using the 400m inside lane is important.

You can still run the same distance in the outside lanes?

• Advertisement

You can still run the same distance in the outside lanes?

+1 to this.

If I'm doing 200s I'd always use a middle or outside lane, if I have the choice. Easier to run the less severe bend. Just find the appropriate start point and away you go. Getting upset about other people on Trinity (or any) track is a bit unproductive, if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Unless it's well marked which I assume it being grass it isn't, the further you go from lane one the trickier it's going to be to do the likes of 600s, 800s etc. Heck it's even tricky on a marked track once you move out from lane one! (unless you're not fussy about running the exact distance)

I assume it's mostly people jogging that use it so easiest thing is to get everyone else to work around them, even if the rules were like other tracks they'd probably run there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Don't see it as an issue myself, but if it's important to ya then fair enough.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Don't see it as an issue myself, but if it's important to ya then fair enough.

Look I dont lose any sleep over it. If I was going for an easy run then I'd go around the outside because I wouldnt want groups of fast runners swarming me every minute or so.

On the distance thing, if using outside lanes for your 400s or 800s then you have to keep checking your Garmin. Personally I prefer to trust the measured distance rather than a GPS and know when the distance is complete without checking my watch

It's not a big deal. The track is a fantastic amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Have to say I’ve hardly ever seen anyone jogging on the grass track. Most people jogging down there stick to the perimeter of the cricket ground. TT were doing a session down there at lunch today and there was certainly no disruption. Plenty of people like myself happily trotting around well out of the way.

Is the track currently close for July?

Is the track currently close for July?

It was still closed on Friday. The park took a bit of a beating with the Summer Series concerts. A groundsman politely shooed me off the grass (not the track). I’d say it will need at least a week so I assume the 24th July mentioned earlier will hold. Mind you I’m no expert on turf care!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I passed by earlier in the week and there were temporary markings for the track (sort of dashed lines) so i would expect that was a prelude to full marking before the weekend

The park now appears to be open and track is being marked out again. Should be back to normal today, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The park now appears to be open and track is being marked out again. Should be back to normal today, I reckon.

Good to hear. Not much use to me now. My season finishes on Saturday!!

Still, it was useful to have it during June.

The amount of disruption to the cricket pitch for what 1 day of gigs? 2 days?

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Good to hear. Not much use to me now. My season finishes on Saturday!!

Still, it was useful to have it during June.

The amount of disruption to the cricket pitch for what 1 day of gigs? 2 days?

Full week of gigs. The ground took a bit of a beating. But ‘College’ can’t turn down an opportunity to monetise. :rolleyes:

Looks like I was a little optimistic... From this morning.

486176.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Looks like I was a little optimistic... From this morning.

Yeah, I went over earlier and saw that it was out of action, ended up doing laps of the campus. Too many meanderthals around to be able to run unobstructed.

coogy wrote: »
    Yeah, I went over earlier and saw that it was out of action, ended up doing laps of the campus. Too many meanderthals around to be able to run unobstructed.

Merrion Square is a better bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Around lunchtime? I was one of those meanderthanls (spotted someone doing laps of the campus). Have taken to walking around the grounds of Trinity at lunchtime to get away from the cars/noise/madness of the city.

I wonder if anyone uses the 'stations' they have around the track & pitches, must give them a go some day!

Around lunchtime? I was one of those meanderthanls (spotted someone doing laps of the campus). Have taken to walking around the grounds of Trinity at lunchtime to get away from the cars/noise/madness of the city.

I wonder if anyone uses the 'stations' they have around the track & pitches, must give them a go some day!

They get used, but not a whole lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Anyone happen to know if the running track is open for use?

Anyone happen to know if the running track is open for use?

It was open yesterday anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

While not accessible to the general public, i thought I would submit my almost annual update to the thread but in the last week or so the groundsman have marked out the track on the cricket pitch and the surface looks well (Very little traffic over the last 12-15 months)
    Trining-Grass-Track.png

• Advertisement

Even with normal traffic, the surface always looks and feels great. Must be one of the best kept natural surfaces in the city. I did get to use it a couple of times last year, hopefully this year too.

Advertisement