Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus routes 145-155

• 20-05-2019 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I was glad to see new route 155 being added to the Dublin-Foxrock-Bray route.

However I am disappointed to find (in my experience) that the 2 routes are tending to arrive in pairs, with each 145 reaching the stop a minute apart from the 155. My hope had been that the 2 buses would between them provide a well spaced, and therefore more frequent, service between Dublin and Bray.

I have also found that the 155 is more likely to stop for a driver change at Donnybrook, but that may be just my luck. There should be no difference in that.

Finally, I worry that the onset of the 155 is going to lead to cuts in the 145. Doubtless DB and NTA have denied this, but thet does not mean it won't happen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The problem is that both are likely scheduled to come together. I've seen it where there have been two or three 46as, two 145s and a 155 all bunched together on the N11. What should be done on the N11 corridor is a headway system not scheduled departures. At peak times you should have buses on the N11 spaces at 3 mins apart whether they be a 46a, 145 or 155.

If a bus gets too near the bus in front then it should be made wait until there is a three minute gap with the bus ahead. This would be easy to do on a corridor like the N11 where it is a QBC for nearly the entire journey. Also if there are traffic issues in Bray, Shankill or DL then buses could be instructed to turn short at Foxrock Church or Loughlinstown Roundabout and transferred on to the next bus to take them to Bray or DL. It works in London so why not there.

I don't see any evidence that the NTA or DB is using the 155 to cut frequency on the 145 all though the long term plan with bus connects is to replace both with the E1 from Bray to Northwood in Ballymun with a 10 minute frequency but this could be due for an increase as BC plans were mad on the assumption that frequencies would remain at Summer 2018 levels which have since been increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Genghis

Would like the 145 to stop detouring behind TCD on way to Heuston.

It's 6-7 minute delay without any passengers joining or leaving. Would like it to route direct via Dawson St, College Green and Westmoreland St like the 46A.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

I feel like a simple fix would have one of the routes go up to Brides Glenn Luas stop.

Right now whenever I get one the two buses just tail gate one another all the way to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I feel like a simple fix would have one of the routes go up to Brides Glenn Luas stop.

Right now whenever I get one the two buses just tail gate one another all the way to Dublin.

the 155 could skip Shankill and go through Cherrywood via the M50 - it would be quicker than going into Cherrywood from the N11 and back out again.

That would make it take longer and cause unnecessary delays. I don't think any buses should be going into Cherrywood unless they are going to be terminating there. It's not a long walk down to the N11 to catch a 145 or 155 and it already has the 7, 84/a and 111 serving it.

Would be better if the 84 terminated there and ran every half hour from Brides Glen to Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

loyatemu wrote: »
    the 155 could skip Shankill and go through Cherrywood via the M50 - it would be quicker than going into Cherrywood from the N11 and back out again.

Thought it would screw the people in Shankill, I'd like to see the 155 stop at Cherrywood, atm the 84 and 7 and 111 are not enough, the 155/145 passengers have a LONG walk from the Luas atm.

In addition it's high time they took that interchange seriously and put RTPI and two proper bus shelters there, it's a total p1ss take at the moment high in the wind and rain exposed to the elements like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Would be better if the 84 terminated there and ran every half hour from Brides Glen to Newcastle.

It would be better for people living in the areas that rely on the 84 (especially Kilcoole, which has a rapidly growing population and a less frequent weekday service than it had twenty years ago) if it ran every half hour from Bray to Newcastle, with the 155 serving Brides Glen instead. This would give people from Newcastle, Kilcoole and Greystones a very frequent service, with a simple transfer onto the 155 at Bray Station for anyone going towards the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

OK about 84 terminating in Cherrywood & giving a far better service NC/KC/BY/CW.

However, a connection needs to be provided along Clonkeen Rd, etc to C/Centre [ since 45 went] - maybe by extending 4 to CW ? or splitting into 4A/B - maybe CW/Johnstown RD ?? [ as previous??]

Regarding Cherrywood - what appears to be forgoten is that there is a rail/luas route still in existance via the old HARCOURT STREET railway line [through SHANKIL ] from CW to the DART at Shanganagh Junction[about 2 miles ? ] - which might . if reopened. take the excuse of having to drive to CW from BRAY/WICKLOW out of the equasion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Hopefully with the development going on in Cherrywood they manage to sort out the bus situation there.

If you go into street view on google maps, you can see that the road infrastructure they've put in place has bus lanes and provisions
    for bus stop areas set up already.

I believe that the Carrickmines stop will have a road connecting to the new development, and buses would be able to use the bus stop
    there as a terminus as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Thought it would screw the people in Shankill, I'd like to see the 155 stop at Cherrywood, atm the 84 and 7 and 111 are not enough, the 155/145 passengers have a LONG walk from the Luas atm.

It's hardly screwing the people of Shankill, they'd still have a 145 every 10 minutes same as they did a few months ago. 155 is a new route they could have taken the opportunity to do something different and connect to the Luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

_xu3kZnCN4LMGY6rVPBG8nTLHmRd_1Z9v7Dj339RwkgViKmf2wG7xs0kLZbwhEf-6t5-9rWv-lY2oJTs8f1eqlVU69pTmXLdjW3RIPnwfr_a16VHfsO-lQzAAKzVsJghx5Z9HJJGbpJDfaQRL3tFUktM7GaF4VwHDGvvmfXiWjntDAJuokMG8T_atFLPKTFe_2fgoWYnMCr19i_hENr8kKcBobVSR1U2LLOiLQYTcTMGR3Pt5Gl4p5bfp0iy5eJshVGZ3Nt_wppxNQkW97c0T9P2onzASRF9E_1_SMnzVemPeutB6bOsNJpe7N27v8mjgvf-TwfzPWN1y5EZrPKAkfUK1mz58X3L7IMHVxmfQHFc_7lMvKSp2kuE8KSgzYIcjIvlBM8S0cgCTgfFF3OsdGQYvNXTPpaj-OSyHuao6tZVTvKoHl_I6EZqLHDgnlZ2HTr9sjF9FwbUmLS0OSU4j-Ccx6SMqFYU9H671seLSqWgBWkxDUBer3gSRva6ZqUMn5Bk48E6P78WTUJRldk6lqTsHQpzJ1it0OzKk5wyFz5XNtK_LDZBV7BcizqeiwUpKqwBL9Y1P1UuiLngQ1Y5jof2xX2FU-_IxP2GZhCy3LXQSFrTxDfMkUHb7EmczAEwLX6Q9q3EnAFmJUDdkFZEOlhni3rn1afG=w517-h350-no

Cherrywood Bus lane and Bus stop provisions as seen on Google Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Someone check the bus connects plans there

I'm nearly sure the 155 is a spine and the 145 will be gone

Someone check the bus connects plans there

I'm nearly sure the 155 is a spine and the 145 will be gone

E Spine
    E1 Northwood to Bray every 10 mins (145/155)
    E2 Charlestown SC to Dun Laoghaire every 10 mins (46A)

Not much difference between the 145 and 155 other than the fact the 155 is longer. A local bus the 212 between the Dart station and Ballywaltrim will replace the leg south of Bray and will run every 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Stephen15 wrote: »
    E Spine
    E1 Northwood to Bray every 10 mins (145/155)
    E2 Charlestown SC to Dun Laoghaire every 10 mins (46A)

Not much difference between the 145 and 155 other than the fact the 155 is longer. A local bus the 212 between the Dart station and Ballywaltrim will replace the leg south of Bray and will run every 10 mins.

Don't forget the part from Westmoreland street to heuston, which will be a change for people coming from South (not a big deal)

But people might see this as a reduction in frequency now from 2 routes to 1

Don't forget the part from Westmoreland street to heuston, which will be a change for people coming from South (not a big deal)

But people might see this as a reduction in frequency now from 2 routes to 1

Remember the orginal BC plans were made before GAI came into operation and the subsequent increase in service on both the routes that went to GAI and the remaining DB routes. So I would assume the revised plans would have to take the service increases into account.

Tbh it would be better with just one route as two similar routes results in more bunching as the buses are scheduled to come together. As Jarret Walker was saying it's all about frequency not about counting routes.

Advertisement