Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigration to USA

• 07-05-2019 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hi
    How are you?
    I am thinking about emigrating to the USA.
    I can't find employment in the west of Ireland.
    I have to move the big rent places in Ireland to find work. I the USA might be better.
    I j1 to Boston once but that's very Irish.
    what do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How will you get a visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭raher1

There is a variety of Visas you can get now.
    You usually last 11 months and get it renewed until citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Did Europe not work out for you?

What jobs have you applied for here out of interest? If you haven't the skills for a job here, you haven't a hope anywhere else.

I have some IT skills. I just checking my options.
    I have no European language so an English language country might be best.
    RossieMan wrote: »
    Did Europe not work out for you?

What jobs have you applied for here out of interest? If you haven't the skills for a job here, you haven't a hope anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

raher1 wrote: »
    I have no European language so an English language country might be best.

A language is not hard to learn, plus you won't have any visa issues, better work life balance, and can get home relatively quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Hi
    How are you?
    I am thinking about emigrating to the USA.
    I can't find employment in the west of Ireland.
    I have to move the big rent places in Ireland to find work. I the USA might be better.
    I j1 to Boston once but that's very Irish.
    what do people think?

Do you know what the rent is like in Boston or other US cities? It'll be as much as Dublin most likely.
    Plenty of IT jobs in Europe where English is the working language.
    You could move somewhere and try and get "a job" to start with, then start looking for what you want.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I think we have been here before.... but do you have a degree in computer science or preferably a master degree?

I have a hdip multimedia and level 6 web development
    Jim2007 wrote: »
    I think we have
    been here before.... but do you have a degree in computer science or preferably a master degree?

I have a hdip multimedia and level 6 web development

Well if you have that plus some experience, then search for something in the EU, where you don't need a visa. And as others have pointed out most IT positions use English as a least one official language, if not the only.

Use something like https://www.jobserve.com/ to find possible openings.

Thank you.i was looking at European commonsion job sites.
    Well if you have that plus some experience, then search for something in the EU, where you don't need a visa. And as others have pointed out most IT positions use English as a least one official language, if not the only.

Use something like https://www.jobserve.com/ to find possible openings.

• Advertisement

Anyone know anyone on HB1 visa?

Does anyone know anything about the hb1 visa. It's another option to a green card.

Diversity lottery is being reviewed by Trump.
    But I will apply.
    It's hard to find work unless I go self employed.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Oversubscribed and competitive these days.

With the above qualifications you have little to no chance of getting the visa (or most available work visas)

Diversity lottery?

Get a job with a company in Ireland with offices in the US and get a transfer after X years?

The new E3 visa classification currently applies only to nationals of Australia as well as their spouses and children. E3 principal applicants must be going to the United States solely to work in a specialty occupation. The spouse and children need not be Australian citizen
    Mr.S wrote: »
    The H1B requires an employer to sponsor you, you don't just apply for it and then look for work.

Tbh I would re-evaluate, build up your CV in Ireland and then look at the options available to you.

Without having a fair bit of experience you won't be eligible for any visas / will struggle to find an employer states side to sponsor you.

At this stage, the potential E3 visa is your best option if you meet the requirements but you would still need a decent CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The new E3 visa classification currently applies only to nationals of Australia as well as their spouses and children. E3 principal applicants must be going to the United States solely to work in a specialty occupation. The spouse and children need not be Australian citizen

There is a bill going through Congress that would allow any unused Australian E3 visas be used by Irish people.

It's been in the news in the last few weeks.
    And there is a thread just a click away on these very boards with E3 in the title.

For someone looking to move to the US the level of research you seem to have done does not strike me as extensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

For someone looking to move to the US the level of research you seem to have done does not strike me as extensive.

All you have to do is look at the OPs history of starting threads about moving abroad. It's a fairytale.

My apologies, I got side tracked by Australian part. It looks like a good option.
    There is a bill going through Congress that would allow any unused Australian E3 visas be used by Irish people.

It's been in the news in the last few weeks.
    And there is a thread just a click away on these very boards with E3 in the title.

My apologies, I got side tracked by Australian part. It looks like a good option.

A good option would be something that you could actually do! This is a visa program who's renewal has already been rejected once and Ireland is being added to it in the hope that it might get passed the first sage in congress... on top of which is is limited to 10,500 applicants and it is not clear what share of that will go to Irish applicants.... and you need to already have an employer offering you a job to qualify.

It's got really difficult. I think if hire a lawyer it might be better chance, maybe. Europe looks like an easier option.
    A good option would be something that you could actually do! This is a visa program who's renewal has already been rejected once and Ireland is being added to it in the hope that it might get passed the first sage in congress... on top of which is is limited to 10,500 applicants and it is not clear what share of that will go to Irish applicants.... and you need to already have an employer offering you a job to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Diversity lottery is being reviewed by Trump.
    But I will apply.
    It's hard to find work unless I go self employed.

Could you apply to a digital agency for work?

RossieMan wrote: »
    All you have to do is look at the OPs history of starting threads about moving abroad. It's a fairytale.

It's not a fairytale. It's becoming a reality.

It's not a fairytale. It's becoming a reality.

You are still talking about the subject rather than doing it.... so it is not becoming a reality...

Back on the 9th of May I gave the url for the main website for IT jobs in Europe, have you made any applications, talked to the recruiting agents?

How about savings, have you got together enough hard case to cover your living expenses for say about three months?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is not correct.

The E3 visas have existed since the mid 2000s for Australian citizens.
    It is still in place and was never under threat of being removed.

The proposal that was rejected by the old Congress in late 2018 was to allow unused E3 visas to be offered to Irish citizens.

That proposal has now been reintroduced in the new Congress.

I registered now. I was looking at eures website in the meantime.
    You are still talking about the subject rather than doing it.... so it is not becoming a reality...

Back on the 9th of May I gave the url for the main website for IT jobs in Europe, have you made any applications, talked to the recruiting agents?

How about savings, have you got together enough hard case to cover your living expenses for say about three months?

Advertisement