Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Hogan - GAA player

Options
  • 19-05-2019 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

A question came up recently in a family conversation, and I am wondering if anybody knew the answer.

Basically, we all know that the Michael Hogan, the Tipperary hurler, was killed on Bloody Sunday 1920. He was childless at the time. I also know that his brother, Maj Gen Dan Hogan disappeared in the US in the early 1940s. Dan had one daughter, who I understand, became a nun. Dan and Michael had at least one other brother, who was a Christian Brother, and worked for a time out of the church on Westland Row, in Dublin.

I also know that there was one other brother, and at least 5 sisters, but I can't seem to trace them.

I was wondering if anybody knew what happened to any of the brothers or sisters?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

This is an interview given by his nephew: https://www.gaa.ie/the-gaa/oral-history/michael-hogan/

The key would be to find them on the census in 1911. Michael was born 1896 and there's 4 MHs who are 14 and 1 15 year old.
    This one has a Daniel as well as a Michael.

This would appear to be the right family, having found his birth record and Daniel's.
    From there, you'd have to trace forward looking for marriages.

So 7/9 children still alive - 3 girls and 4 boys.

Funnily enough, I don't see Michael Hogan's death registration.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Funnily enough, I don't see Michael Hogan's death registration.[/QUOTE]

They generally did not register at the time, it was an act of civil disobedience, defiance of the imperial government.

Some did register subsequently, under an Irish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just to clarify, it was a football match.
    A challenge match between Tipperary and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

elperello wrote: »
    Just to clarify, it was a football match.
    A challenge match between Tipperary and Dublin.

You're right. Don't know why I thought it was hurling. Probably typed hurling because it had just come on on the news

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

spurious wrote: »

Sad reading, a ten year-old schoolboy.

Some Births were registered in Irish in that period, I have one for January 1919. It does not show up in a GRO online search but does appear on FMP.

Advertisement