Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1988 1.0 Starlet - Value?

Options
  • 19-05-2019 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I need some help, my other half’s father has a gold 5 door 1.0 Starlet 1988 and he is looking to move it on. The car has some rust spots on it and would need a respray i’d say but the interior is in a pretty good state. I think the mileage is about 100k and it will probably start with a bit of TLC.

I’ll post pictures when I’m back there next but I’ve heard they can make some money.

Would anyone have any idea of a ballpark figure.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I see a similar car for about 3k, but with rust I would guess half that. The rust you see is only half the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

2grand max.most likely 1600 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Sounds as though it doesn't have tax or NCT and might start with a bit of TLC!!

€500.00

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

w124man wrote: »
    Sounds as though it doesn't have tax or NCT and might start with a bit of TLC!!

€500.00

+1

Non running, no NCT, if I were the seller I'd be delighted with €500. With a new NCT it might be well be worth €1,500 though. Would you not try and get it passed, OP?

They’re getting scarce though and they do have a following out there provided it’s only surface rust and she’s not rotten as a pear.im sticking with 15-1600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The 5-door bit doesn't help either. Most of the 'Fans' prefer the 3-door.

I had one myself, '88, 1.3 and 5 door and all. Had valid NCT and I gave it away for free to a young member of the travelling community as he asked me nicely about it :)

That was many years ago though...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

There's added value now: nostalgia factor, eligible for classic status, cheap tax, cheap insurance, NCT only required every 2 years (for 30 to 40 year old cars)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

They do indeed have a cult following of sorts, I remember hearing them called “Baby Cams”!

I reckon 700-1000 would be a good price to get for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sounds similar to this one......

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/21540517

Seller asking 900 but will probably take less.
    I reckon 900 is too high.

• Advertisement

Noveight wrote: »
    I remember hearing them called “Baby Cams”!

LOL that's ridiculous, these Starlets are FWD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

If I had this car I'd get an NCT before selling for between 1k and 2k depending on condition. If you don't have NCT, as a buyer I'm assuming it's not just a few euro to get it back on the road but hundreds of euro, making the car worth 500 at most.

I have one of these currently off the road. Their main problem is rust, on the frame and body panels. Panels can be patched up or replaced, but anything on the frame needs welding which won't be cheap.

As for a respray. A proper respray will cost multiple times the value of the car running with NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

unkel wrote: »
    LOL that's ridiculous, these Starlets are FWD :D

Indeed, didn’t stop lads from having a go though! :P

https://www.adverts.ie/4861423

Noveight wrote: »
    Indeed, didn’t stop lads from having a go though! :P

https://www.adverts.ie/4861423

Nice ad, does the car come with the two ladies included? :p

No reference of Baby Cams though, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

It's many years since I heard the term "baby cams", but back then they specifically referred to the Starlet previous to the ones on this thread which were RWD. A handful are being rallied still, probably with 1.6 TC conversions.

NoBread wrote: »
    It's many years since I heard the term "baby cams", but back then they specifically referred to the Starlet previous to the ones on this thread which were RWD. A handful are being rallied still, probably with 1.6 TC conversions.

Maurice moffett was famous for the rwd starlet.they are on you tube.
    They did a starlet gymkama video.
    He still has a good number of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Maurice Moffett's kp60 starlet has a millington diamond engine.

Declan Gallagher's kp60 runs a built Vauxhall redtop engine.

Both are very competitive cars in the right conditions.

Advertisement