Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk about Burgers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Add a splash of pickle brine from the jar. Thank me later.
    It is later, & thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Talking of pickles & burgers...

I make my own burger relish with very finely grated/chopped pickles & shallots, Colman's mustard, tomato ketchup & a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

That sounds delish, I must give it a go. Is it equal proportions of pickles and shallots and then 2 or 3 tablespoons of the two sauces?

Also has anyone yet to try out the potato rolls that rubadub mentioned as being new to Tesco, Fire Pit range I think it was called

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I usually just make it for myself (2 burgers worth) & it'd be one pickle, one small shallot, 1.5 tsp Colman's mustard, 1 tbsp tomato ketchup.

As Subcommandante Marcos recommends - a dash of brine from the pickle jar is a good addition. Just a tsp mind, otherwise it can make the relish too loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I usually just make it for myself (2 burgers worth) & it'd be one pickle, one small shallot, 1.5 tsp Colman's mustard, 1 tbsp tomato ketchup.

As Subcommandante Marcos recommends - a dash of brine from the pickle jar is a good addition. Just a tsp mind, otherwise it can make the relish too loose.

The brine is magic stuff. It has all the sugar, salt, and aromatics and spices in there, as well as the "essence" of the pickple itself.

Just made a small batch of it there, very nice and great to have a jar of it in the fridge for future burger escapades :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Also has anyone yet to try out the potato rolls that rubadub mentioned as being new to Tesco, Fire Pit range I think it was called
    I got them myself in the end. I like them, but prefer my aldi brioche. If they were cheaper I would try them again for a change.

I have not been to bunsen so not sure how they compare, but they were a definite improvement over standard burger rolls.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

I am now using an upturned rice tray for steaming the bun while in the pan. You can roll out the sides so it becomes a bit bigger.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRK1v6s87B7KlL45g139kcLx5osFHiAnFyoQvUdJGvDg246PwK_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I had those same potato buns and would give the same review - nicer than a standard white roll but not as nice as an aldi brioche bun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Reading with interest and some good recipes, I've gone the whole hog with breadcrumbs, mustard , tomato ketchup, onions , sausage meat , fresh herbs, list goes on with what I've added into the mix but atm I've gone full circle and just add salt and pepper to some mince and fry.
    The reason being , why mess around with the main ingredient?
    The choice is then endless for how to dress it but for me I like the cheapest cheese, fried onion and rasher and some tomato ketchup. Bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

volono wrote:
    Reading with interest and some good recipes, I've gone the whole hog with breadcrumbs, mustard , tomato ketchup, onions , sausage meat , fresh herbs, list goes on with what I've added into the mix but atm I've gone full circle and just add salt and pepper to some mince and fry. The reason being , why mess around with the main ingredient? The choice is then endless for how to dress it but for me I like the cheapest cheese, fried onion and rasher and some tomato ketchup. Bliss

A splash of franks hot sauce is nice in the patty with the salt and pepper.

Haven't tried it funnily enough, ill give it a shot the weekend maybe thanks

• Advertisement

volono wrote: »
    Reading with interest and some good recipes, I've gone the whole hog with breadcrumbs, mustard , tomato ketchup, onions , sausage meat , fresh herbs, list goes on with what I've added into the mix but atm I've gone full circle and just add salt and pepper to some mince and fry.
    The reason being , why mess around with the main ingredient?
    The choice is then endless for how to dress it but for me I like the cheapest cheese, fried onion and rasher and some tomato ketchup. Bliss

Thats exactly why I stopped throwing mustard and herbs and spices in. Since making burgers with salt and pepper only you get the delicious beef flavour, adding stuff just detracts from that imo. Only other thing I would put on it is a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

A scrape of this on the bottom bun, Centra and SV stock it.

adc27527-82be-4417-a771-638562701032_1.30d5c4a235cf68a9e3000e79e5b4582b.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

What I'd really like to try is to ground my own round/sirlion steak? in an everyday kitchen mincer type of appliance although I haven't really looked into it. Would you have to add some type of animal fat into the mix then etc., the reason being if you did you would know exactly whats in it and be able to cook the burgers to peoples taste, rare/ mid rare etc. . Any experience anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What I'd really like to try is to ground my own round/sirlion steak? in an everyday kitchen mincer type of appliance although I haven't really looked into it. Would you have to add some type of animal fat into the mix then etc., the reason being if you did you would know exactly whats in it and be able to cook the burgers to peoples taste, rare/ mid rare etc. . Any experience anyone?

SV do a sirloin steak mince which is fabulous - pricey but very lean too and still tastes good even without the fat. €5 for 300g

Thanks for the reply caviar, my big questions are: can you trust it? to begin with. Personally i'd like to believe you can but you can never tell 100 percent with mince imo, no matter where it comes from. The next are you safe to cook it rare like you could do if you minced your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks for the reply caviar, my big questions are: can you trust it? to begin with. Personally i'd like to believe you can but you can never tell 100 percent with mince imo, no matter where it comes from. The next are you safe to cook it rare like you could do if you minced your own?

I know what you mean but I actually would trust SV (probably more than most) tbh and the price point is roughly the same price as their sirloin steak so it seems legit. I do know what you are saying though, who knows what's in it really unless you actually oversee it personally.

Well my thoughts exactly caviar. I'd agree in saying sv are very good but even in the butchers i use regularly, i got some minced lamb for the now famous kebab receipe in the cooking club and i still wouldn't trust it

I'd say if you are mincing yourself and want to cook the burger rare or medium rare then its a good idea to use a meat thermometer and ensure the target temperature is met before you take the burger off the pan. How thick you make the patty would also be a consideration but as we cant give food safety advice here the answer to that lies elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Got the brioche buns in lidl. Got 12% fat mince meat, sliced gherkins, sliced pancetta, sliced edam, baby gem lettuce and beef tomatoes all in lidl. Lightly toasted the buns.
    Built it like this.
    Bottom bun, bbq sauce, lettuce, tomato, burger (i put cheese on the burger while still on the pan, splash of water, lid over pan till cheese melted ) , gherkins, pancetta, then squirty yellow mustard on the top bun.
    Unreal. Restaurant quality, I'm not joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yellow mustard is a must imo. No other mustard comes close.

• Advertisement

Yeah, specifically Frenchs yellow mustard. I don't use much, just five or six little blobs but it makes all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I find burgers extremely overrated myself I've yet to make or buy one that I've really enjoyed

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I find burgers extremely overrated myself I've yet to make or buy one that I've really enjoyed

Maybe you haven't tried very well making you own, I'm only surmising, but to say you've never!! enjoyed one , well i don't believe it. When you get the want for one , much like everything else, they're great. As a matter of interest, what type of food/cuisine do you like? If on the chance you do have one where do you get them from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

So glad I found this thread. My burger were always fairly bland. I made the fairly large mistake of thinking the leaner the beef the better assuming a higher fat content would make it all fall apart. Just had the first few of the higher fat and the recipe is much better. I also started frying thrn with better and mashing the ball down on the pan instead of having them all pre squashed as I'd done before. Much better burgers.

So right now my recipe is 600g of beef, half a red onion, breadcrumbs, 1 egg, 1 clove of garlic, Worcester sauce, salt and pepper and maybe some chilli flakes.

I see posters are recommending pretty much just beef salt and pepper. Do you not need something to bind the meat together so it doesn't just fall apart?

Blacktie. wrote: »

So right now my recipe is 600g of beef, half a red onion, breadcrumbs, 1 egg, 1 clove of garlic, Worcester sauce, salt and pepper and maybe some chilli flakes.

Remove everything except for the beef, salt and pepper.

You're recipe is for meatballs, not burgers.
    Beef has plenty of protien to bind it, it doesn't need fillers or binders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Remove everything except for the beef, salt and pepper.

You're recipe is for meatballs, not burgers.
    Beef has plenty of protien to bind it, it doesn't need fillers or binders.

I don't think there's a specific right or wrong. Unless you mean if they're making a burger for you.

I don't think there's a specific right or wrong. Unless you mean if they're making a burger for you.

There's burgers, and meatballs.

One has has eggs and breabcrumbs and 15 different adjuncts, one doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There's burgers, and meatballs.

One has has eggs and breabcrumbs and 15 different adjuncts, one doesn't.

Either have whatever you want. Unless you mean if they're making a burger for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

shamrock55 wrote: »

So in all your life you have not had one that you really enjoyed? Ever?

Advertisement