Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escaping to the countryside?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Looks like we might be beaten to it

If you squint into the distance you can only see the hills...

the litter and the damaged playgrounds are whos fault ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Its a good thing you're all beneath me. Otherwise, I might actually forget that I wasn't some crusty loser getting mad at Boards ie posts at 5 am in the morning.

This entire thread reminds me that its good to be a young person living in the city. I cant believe the utter bitterness that comes from people here. Does it come with age? Or do I have to spend several years being a social outcast and a failure like the rest of you?

Its only the internet, relax and stop getting so angry just cause you like the city and others like the countryside.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Its only the internet, relax and stop getting so angry just cause you like the city and others like the countryside.

? I never lost my cool, Joe. Never even owned a fridge.

Tell me, do you get paid to moderate after hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

It isn’t exactly Barbour jackets and bucolic bliss in rural Ireland. Sure, it can be pretty but bear in mind the following realities:

1. Slurry. The honk of it seeps into your house like mustard gas.

2. At least one of your neighbours will burn all their rubbish in their range regularly.

3. Everyone is related to each other. Seemingly unconnected people will be each other’s third cousin. So don’t slag anyone off, for the love of God.

4. Nosiness is everyone’s favourite pastime. So misbehave elsewhere.

5. Everyone over sixty will be religious conservatives. Everyone under thirty will be Sinn Féin.

6. Public transport is only scheduled for those too young or too old to drive. If you want a drink or go out, learn the local taxi number first.

7. Music: there are both types. Country and “Rebel songs”.

8. Keep anything “notiony” out of sight of your neighbours. That includes opinions.

9. You will get unsolicited visits. At all hours. Bring your tea and biscuits A-game. You’ll need it.

10. Death and funerals are the biggest entertainment there are. Mass Cards are like a parallel currency here. Get used to going to a LOT of wakes, and where the strongest thing available is weak tea and egg sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

So you finally got it figured out huh? You talked the talk and walked the walk. You beat the best and killed the rest. You took all the cards until you finally became the dealer.

Well guess what? Now everyones playing chess.

You better watch your back. Its a dog eat dog world out there, Bob. And im the f*cking chinaman

blackbeltjones_special_web.jpg

This is some cringeworthy stuff going on in here. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is some cringeworthy stuff going on in here. Jesus.

More jive talk than a hep cat convention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Can't quite understand this bad rep Leitrim has. If you were to go for a weekend wandering around it in the car, it would take the eye out of your head it's so beautiful. Seriously, driving along the shores of Lough Gill you could be in an undiscovered Paradise or out by the wilds of Lough Melvin or climbing up by Glencar Waterfall where there are trees above that are almost primeval or out on the rolling hills on small roads that are literally spilling over with an abundance of flowers at the moment....feck it, it's far too good for ye, stay where ye are. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t do it op.

You see constant threads from townies complaining about country life.

“Cows are mooing, is the mean farmer hurting them”

“Why do farmers have to drive tractors on the road when they have fields to drive in”

“Why is he farmer farming today, doesn’t he know it’s sunday morning”

“Why does the farmer spread slurry, doesn’t he know my soft wee townie nose doesn’t like it”

Don’t do it OP, stay in the soulless city with all the inbred degenerates who burn homeless people in their tents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The great thing about Dublin is you can be standing on a beach or walking in the mountains in less than half an hour from any house in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The great thing about Dublin is you can be standing on a beach or walking in the mountains is less than half an hour from any house in the city

Yep, I can walk literally ten minutes from my Dublin suburb and be in the country, 20 minute drive to the sea. Could never live in the country though, I would find myself bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I might actually forget that I wasn't some crusty loser getting mad at Boards ie posts at 5 am in the morning.

As opposed to 5 am in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

It isn’t exactly Barbour jackets and bucolic bliss in rural Ireland. Sure, it can be pretty but bear in mind the following realities:

1. Slurry. The honk of it seeps into your house like mustard gas.

2. At least one of your neighbours will burn all their rubbish in their range regularly.

3. Everyone is related to each other. Seemingly unconnected people will be each other’s third cousin. So don’t slag anyone off, for the love of God.

4. Nosiness is everyone’s favourite pastime. So misbehave elsewhere.

5. Everyone over sixty will be religious conservatives. Everyone under thirty will be Sinn Féin.

6. Public transport is only scheduled for those too young or too old to drive. If you want a drink or go out, learn the local taxi number first.

7. Music: there are both types. Country and “Rebel songs”.

8. Keep anything “notiony” out of sight of your neighbours. That includes opinions.

9. You will get unsolicited visits. At all hours. Bring your tea and biscuits A-game. You’ll need it.

10. Death and funerals are the biggest entertainment there are. Mass Cards are like a parallel currency here. Get used to going to a LOT of wakes, and where the strongest thing available is weak tea and egg sandwiches.

Jaysus..that sounds like it was written by a lad from Lancashire who has never been to Ireland and voted for brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Not against urban living, far from it, but Dublin is not a nice city, it’s own gentrification came too late for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I've done the opposite move - leaving rural Derbyshire to live in Cork city when I was in my early 20s and haven't ever regretted it. I'm in my mid 50s now.

I go back once or twice a year, and I love the place but could never live there permanently. It's so inconvenient in lots of small ways and even the local towns don't have much in the way of entertainment.

Everything I need is right on my doorstep here, and even my job is only a five minute walk away.

Having said that, I'd never want to live in a large city like Dublin or any of the English cities - they are too big and dirty. Cork really is perfect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I'm tired

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its not the worst idea, but not for the reason the OP thinks his reasons are a rant about Dublin and modern urban middle-class life in general.

If there are a family involved look for some village with a secondary school and within a reasonable distance of a large town or a city somewhere with a third level college/source of employment. The reason is taht town or village with have eveything not just GAA it will have Football and Rugby as well and lot of activties for children without the waiting lists you tend to get in large urban area.

When you have found the place buy a site max 3km from the center of the village so you can have the best of both worlds near enough for the children to walk to school and have their friends but far enough out to build your own house with lots of room and privacy. Unfortotunaly such places tend to be the millionaires row of the local area even more so if they are within commuiting distance to a large town or city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Also if the op thinks there is no social snobbery in the countryside they are mistaken.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The great thing about Dublin is you can be standing on a beach or walking in the mountains is less than half an hour from any house in the city

This. Dublin is what you make of it. You've got brilliant parks, you're near the sea, the Wicklow mountains are on your doorstep and you've got all the amenities of a city.

Nothing wrong with rural living either, but anyone who sees it as something utterly idyllic hasn't spent a lot of time in rural/small town Ireland. It has its downsides too.

Also, I don't understand people who drive to work in Dublin and then complain about it. If you want to sit your car, fine, but there are alternatives if you don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We moved to a tiny village 18 months ago because we needed a roof over our heads. Found a small cheap house in an estate in the village that's basically a crossroads with a pub. No schools and it doesn't even have a church.
    I absolutely love that it is quiet, the views are amazing.
    But we decided to sell up at the next given opportunity and move into a town, at that point any town will do. It's not the driving that bothers me too much but if you're not a super outgoing person you will have your struggles to find connection with the locals. We're very private and quiet people. My son gets along fine with everyone, he's involved in plenty of sports and in generally quite popular.
    It is really clannish here. The unemployment is high and jobs aren't growing on trees around here. This creates a lot of bored people and feuds and if you don't wanna fall out with people you're forced to have some sort of opinion on it.
    Like the amount of bored housewife catfights is beyond me.
    My adjoining neighbours are a couple short of retirement, she's at home and would be considered the pillar of the community, her family runs the pub down the road. A few months back they did work on their kitchen and afaik he fitted it himself after work. A few evenings of going into the party wall with a hammer drill after 9pm and we kindly asked them if they could tone it down. Long story short: we're now the bad guys because we dared to say something.
    The nosiness too is crazy.
    "I don't give a sh1t" is not an acceptable opinion around here.

I started to miss the anonymity if towns and cities. I miss the opportunities if you aim for something higher than working in Londis and have 4 babies on the way.
    We can't afford Dublin by a mile but honestly I'd sell my kidney for a 2bed apartment in any bigger town or city.
    Currently looking for work and the day I'm out of probation I'll go to the bank.

I can't stand this stupid elitist community thinking that goes against everything that's even remotely new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mattser

This. Dublin is what you make of it. You've got brilliant parks, you're near the sea, the Wicklow mountains are on your doorstep and you've got all the amenities of a city.

Nothing wrong with rural living either, but anyone who sees it as something utterly idyllic hasn't spent a lot of time in rural/small town Ireland. It has its downsides too.

Also, I don't understand people who drive to work in Dublin and then complain about it. If you want to sit your car, fine, but there are alternatives if you don't like it.

Senseless one word sentence.

Ush1 wrote: »
    , I would find myself bored.

I never get this, people who live in the country do much the same thing as people in the city (watching tv etc being a big part of it for both ;)) anything you can do someone living in the county can do. 20 mins for you to get to the beach but it’s only 20 mins for me to drive into town and can partake in all the aminities a person living in town does without having to live there.

I’d be interested to know what in particular you do to keep from being bored that you couldn’t easily also do in the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I recommend doing some rally driving lessons if you are planning on moving down the country, this way at least when you move down you'll be used to gunning it down dangerous back roads and residents are less likely to know that you are new to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I never get this, people who live in the country do much the same thing as people in the city (watching tv etc being a big part of it for both ;)) anything you can do someone living in the county can do. 20 mins for you to get to the beach but it’s only 20 mins for me to drive into town and can partake in all the aminities a person living in town does without having to live there.

I’d be interested to know what in particular you do to keep from being bored that you couldn’t easily also do in the county?

I don't watch telly at all to be honest. Most evenings I will got to kickboxing or jiu-jitsu, I have a big selection of good places to train very close to me.

I have a selection of places to eat out in and lots of pubs within walking distance. If I want even more choice I have buses and the luas to get me into town where I can go to shows/gigs. I can get a taxi or bus to the airport also.

Summer evenings I will take the kids out to the local playground to play with with other kids. Any shopping I need is in walking distance including a barbers, doctors, chemists, butchers etc.. with a number of large shopping centres in close proximity.

I like being around people so urban/suburban environments suit me, I would hate the solitude of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Originally Posted by sk8erboii viewpost.gif
    Social outcasts lashing out online instead of improving themselves?
    You wouldn't like it, no place for your skateboard Bart Simpson.

I have Avril on ignore, so don't see his/her posts.
    What a strange way of thinking about life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I'm in a good position, through hard work i might add, i live and work in Dublin midweek and spend every weekend in a very rural area , out in the sticks. I've best of both worlds, can appreciate good and bad of both City and Rural living. Each makes me appreciate the other. Im at foot of Dublin mountains and within 5 km of coastline in the rural area. The rural one is our bolt hole, to get away from city every weekend, friends of ours were in a similar situation but sold their Dublin home and moved down permanently, a big mistake for them, now they woould have to lay out a lot to get back to Dublin. I know another guy, he's been renting out his Dublin home for the last 12 to 15 years and renting in a rural area, commutes to Dublin for work. He is currently getting 1500 + a month and paying 650 a month for a house twice the size. Suits him while the kids are growing up. But he can always relocate to Dublin if he ever wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Considering meandering into a Software Development career from a Financial background to give me more opportunity to work remotely at a projected higher salary. Ive lived in big cities abroad and the buzz 7 days a week is not for me. My homeplace is in suburban Dublin but family has some land down west near the coastline in Mayo and always wanted a nice house in the country with a mini farm. Cannot ever see myself paying Dublin prices.

Ireland is great in the sense that you can be in all the big cities in a couple of hours. Ideal for remote working and maybe spending a couple of days a week in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

I moved from dublin 15 years ago, managed to get even a better paying job in my profession (Software Development ) and work from home 3 - 4 days a week.

I have a jetty in my back yard and can be in athlone quicker than car by power boat.... honestly the best move ever.

Right now im sitting in my home office looking out on the river shannon, If i never set foot in dublin again I'd be happy maybe except using the M50 to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

HBC08 wrote: »
    Jaysus..that sounds like it was written by a lad from Lancashire who has never been to Ireland and voted for brexit.

Wrong on all three counts, but there ya go.

Advertisement