Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online sources for alcohol and weed

• 12-05-2019 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a growing number of online sources for alcohol and week, both on Instagram and Snapchat. I won't identify any particular accounts here, but a quick search for Dublin and 'drink' or 'weed' or 'buds' will show you are few of the accounts that I'm talking about. It is fairly clear from the posting of these accounts that they're not going to be too fussy about age verification.

I do my best as a parent to educate about such things, but it is more than a little grating to find these sources fairly freely available.

Am I right in thinking that alcohol delivery service is illegal regardless of age limits, unless it is from an outlet with an off-licence (like Tesco or Supervalu)?

Have other parents any other idea about to deter/avoid/reduce these dealers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

You can’t deter the dealers
    Drugs are available in every school in the country
    and easier to buy than a kitchen knife in the shop (they’ll be id’d for that)
    And it’s not recent.

You need to deter your child from drugs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The main purpose of those delivery things isn't for shops to get around selling drink to kids. It's to sell drink after the off license is closed. It's just someone who stocked up and sells off again at a premium.

The internet and snapchat are just mediums. Underage drinking and drugs is no bigger an issue due to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The main purpose of those delivery things isn't for shops to get around selling drink to kids. It's to sell drink after the off license is closed. It's just someone who stocked up and sells off again at a premium.

The internet and snapchat are just mediums. Underage drinking and drugs is no bigger an issue due to them.
    You're right about the main purpose, but I've got fairly clear indications that they aren't quite as fussy about ID checks as your local Tesco or your local O'Briens. This probably isn't a huge surprise given that they are completely under-the-counter businesses. So they are a factor in the availability of drink to teenagers - not the only factor, but certainly a factor.

Are they legal in the first place - selling alcohol outside of hours?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are they legal in the first place - selling alcohol outside of hours?

Nope, nor are any of the "clever" workarounds they may think of (pre-payment etc). They also don't have the licence to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There was supposedly something in last week's Sunday World about online sources for dodgy substances. Did anyone spot it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Last weekend there were sources in Trim, Athy and Cavan but very little of any substance, anywhere.😉

Advertisement