Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT payment

Options
  • 15-05-2019 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi

I imported a car from UK and only got the vrt figure last week.
    I’m away next week and the car has been driven very little for the last few weeks as I’m doing some work on it.
    Could I leave paying the vrt ‘til the last days of May and tax it from June 1?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

Hi

I’m away next week and the car has been driven very little for the last few weeks as I’m doing some work on it.

You have 30 days from the date of entry to the state to pay the VRT. If the VRT is not paid in the 30 days there is a fine of a % of the VRT charged per day until the VRT is paid.
    You can't tax the car until the VRT is paid and a registration number acquired.

All of this information is provided when applying for VRT rates and on the revenue website

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Xodar wrote: »
    You have 30 days from the date of entry to the state to pay the VRT. If the VRT is not paid in the 30 days there is a fine of a % of the VRT charged per day until the VRT is paid.
    You can't tax the car until the VRT is paid and a registration number acquired.

All of this information is provided when applying for VRT rates and on the revenue website

Thanks

I know about the 30 days but I brought the car in to them two weeks after I imported it and was then waiting at least 3 weeks for a valuation. I know this is common at the moment. When does the 30 days kick in from?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When does the 30 days kick in from?

The second it enters the country.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The second it enters the country.

Grand. I'd better pay it so but if they come for penalties I'll fight them on it. Couldn't pay the VRT until they told me the figure.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Grand. I'd better pay it so but if they come for penalties I'll fight them on it. Couldn't pay the VRT until they told me the figure.

Regards

You need 3 ads for a similar speced car to appeal if they over value. You can't fight their valuation you have to appeal after you pay.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    You need 3 ads for a similar speced car to appeal if they over value. You can't fight their valuation you have to appeal after you pay.

I've no problem with the figure - it was lower than expected. I just don't expect to pay penalties if they say I went over the 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

I've no problem with the figure - it was lower than expected. I just don't expect to pay penalties if they say I went over the 30 days.

Yeah, it's from the day the car enters the state unfortunately.

With my car, in 2016, they took 3 weeks to get the value and put me well over the 30 days (think it was 42 days) and my fine was near €500.

As I was appealing the VRT I also appealed the 30 day fine. Got a full refund of the fine (and nearly 50% of the VRT) on appeal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi

NO, you can’t tax it from June. Tax will be back dated to the start of the month it was presented for VRT.

That’s the way it’s been done for the last 3 cars I’ve brought in over the last 12 months.

Well I was well over the 30 days. No problems though, they just took the figure I was expecting and no talk of penalties.
    Xodar wrote: »
    Yeah, it's from the day the car enters the state unfortunately.

With my car, in 2016, they took 3 weeks to get the value and put me well over the 30 days (think it was 42 days) and my fine was near €500.

As I was appealing the VRT I also appealed the 30 day fine. Got a full refund of the fine (and nearly 50% of the VRT) on appeal.

kceire wrote: »
    NO, you can’t tax it from June. Tax will be back dated to the start of the month it was presented for VRT.

That’s the way it’s been done for the last 3 cars I’ve brought in over the last 12 months.

Even though I presented in April, they delayed me ‘til May. That’s not very fair.

• Advertisement

Even though I presented in April, they delayed me ‘til May. That’s not very fair.

Had no problem taxing from May. All done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, it's taxed from the beginning of the month that it is registered in.

Advertisement