Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belmond Grand Hibernian

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Borzoi wrote: »
    they dont do any private hire due to staff and maintenance situation

There were 3 private hires last year and a few this year are in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

GM228 wrote: »
    There were 3 private hires last year and a few this year are in the pipeline.

theyre within the season. they won't hire off season is what I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Video courtesy of Eamonn "The Train Man" Redmond.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They always ran empty Wexford-Rosslare-Wexford. They stabled in Rosslare for several hours.

Last ever Opera special - formed of Mk3s, Thursday 31st May 2007:-

13.20 Heuston-Connolly empty
    15.25 Connolly-Wexford
    18.10 Wexford-Rosslare Harbour empty
    22.40 Rosslare Harbour-Wexford empty
    00.01 (Friday) Wexford-Pearse
    02.25 (Friday ) Pearse-Heuston empty

Apologies for the offtopic question, but would they have used the PPT back then for transferring empty trains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I saw that for the first time on Saturday while I was on the DART to Connolly Station. The train went past me while on the approach to Booterstown. It looked fantastic on the rails by literally turning up out of the blue. It was completely pointless bringing the train up the Dundalk line because that part of the line was closed for line improvement works during the May BHW. That would bring a lot of annoyance to the passengers who paid their many thousands of euro only to find one of the critical lines was shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

It was completely pointless bringing the train up the Dundalk line because that part of the line was closed for line improvement works during the May BHW. That would bring a lot of annoyance to the passengers who paid their many thousands of euro only to find one of the critical lines was shut.

The passengers (guests) were probably happier to see the scenery of Killiney Bay, Bray Head,the mountains and sea between Greystones and Wicklow, and last but not least, the Vale of Avoca south of Rathdrum. They got excellent weather for it last weekend.

The DSE line should be an essential part of the BGH itinerary.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Apologies for the offtopic question, but would they have used the PPT back then for transferring empty trains?

Constantly.

I believe there was even one passenger movement a week for some time, probably until it was realised that claiming the line was unsafe for passengers as was the official line at the time was rather incompatible with that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd have to ask the person that told me, so it could be nonsense, but a Cork line (not Cork) to Connolly weekend evening one I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Galway to Dun Dundalk Sunday was the scheduled run to reposition a Mk3 push pull set back for the Monday morning

Galway to Dun Dundalk Sunday was the scheduled run to reposition a Mk3 push pull set back for the Monday morning

When did this run? There used to be an empty transfer from Heuston, but don't remember a passenger service.

There was however a Ballina-Pearse passenger service using the Mk3A set on a bank holiday weekend in the late 1990s/early 2000s, I wonder if anyone remembers that unusual working?

Thanks for the answer. Maddening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

When did this run? There used to be an empty transfer from Heuston, but don't remember a passenger service.

There was however a Ballina-Pearse passenger service using the Mk3A set on a bank holiday weekend in the late 1990s/early 2000s, I wonder if anyone remembers that unusual working?

Late 1990's Early 2000's there was a Sun only 18xx Limerick to Drogheda push pull and a Galway to Dundalk 2600.

Used to pass the push pull every Sunday at Limerick Jct loop as I headed up on the last Tralee Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Late 90s. I was on it a few times. The procedure required to go from Heuston to Connolly wasn't a quick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how's the BGH doing in terms of paying guests - anyone know?

n97 mini wrote: »
    Late 90s. I was on it a few times. The procedure required to go from Heuston to Connolly wasn't a quick one.
    It would be quicker to get off the train at Heuston and get the 90 bus or tram to Connolly.

What do ye mean by that? Did it stop at Platform 10 and wait for a period or pull into Heuston and have a cab run around or something?

Train arrived Heuston main platforms, reversed out and then continued to Connolly

Not terribly quick but if your destination was in North Dublin or Louth it was a single seat journey instead of the scrum for the 90 bus if it showed up

• Advertisement

Train arrived Heuston main platforms, reversed out and then continued to Connolly

Not terribly quick but if your destination was in North Dublin or Louth it was a single seat journey instead of the scrum for the 90 bus if it showed up

I’d certainly be staying on the train in that scenario alright!

Last silly question: did they actually sell that journey to Drogheda / Dundalk?

This was before the era of online booking and TVM's

Any station to any station ticketing has been available for decades, just ask

So I was neither being lied to or imagining things then. I didn't get much sleep this week so that latter was possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Can anyone point me to the schedule/timing for the 2019 season (photo ops)
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Can anyone point me to the schedule/timing for the 2019 season (photo ops)
    Thanks in advance.

Tuesday
    14:25 Heuston to Cork
    20:35 Cork to Charleville

Wednesday
    09:10 Charleville to Mallow
    12:55 Cork to Killarney

Thursday
    07:00 Killarney to Galway (via Portarlington)
    18:35 Galway to Athlone

]Friday
    06:15 Athlone to Westport
    18:45 Westport to Roscommon

Saturday
    06:15 Roscommon to Heuston
    12:10 Heuston to Belfast Central
    20:26 Belfast Central to Dundalk

Sunday
    08:20 Dundalk to Connolly
    10:05 Connolly to Waterford
    19:10 Waterford to Muine Bheag

Monday
    08:00 Muine Bheag to Heuston

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Thank you ðŸ‘

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Tuesday
    14:25 Heuston to Cork
    20:35 Cork to Charleville

Wednesday
    09:10 Charleville to Mallow

Thursday
    07:00 Killarney to Galway (via Portarlington)
    18:35 Galway to Athlone

Friday
    06:15 Athlone to Westport
    18:45 Westport to Roscommon

Saturday
    06:15 Roscommon to Heuston
    12:10 Heuston to Belfast Central
    20:26 Belfast Central to Dundalk

Sunday

Monday

That is the regular programme, however this year the regular programme is mixed with various weekly adjustments and private hires, this week will be:-

Tuesday:
    13:30 Heuston to Mallow
    21:05 Mallow to Charleville

Wednesday:
    09:30 Charleville to Limerick Jnc
    13:04 Limerick Jnc to Cork
    19:35 Cork to Charleville

Thursday:

Friday:
    07:00 Killarney to Ennis via Thurles, Limerick Direct Curve and Limerick
    14:00 Ennis to Athlone via WRC

Saturday:
    06:40 Athlone to Heuston
    12:10 Heuston to Belfast
    20:26 Belfast to Dundalk

Sunday:

Monday:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Why does the scheduled service go via Portarlington instead of Ennis?

jasper100 wrote: »
    Why does the scheduled service go via Portarlington instead of Ennis?

A lot more shunting required to operate via the WRC, if coming from Cork and going via the WRC it must first go to Thurles. It is more operationally friendly and quicker to normally route via Portarlington. There is limited times to cross the WRC also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A lot more shunting required to operate via the WRC, if coming from Cork and going via the WRC it must first go to Thurles. It is more operationally friendly and quicker to normally route via Portarlington. There is limited times to cross the WRC also.

Going via Thurles to keep train right way round?

Trains can be signalled to Limerick from Cork via Junction or just BGH cannot be?

Advertisement