Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the Social Democrats candidates so on manifesto?

Options
  • 10-05-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

So I'll actually start this with a other question . It seems to me the SDs candidates are sticking to their manifesto . Would you agree with this? If not can you give me some examples?

If you agree with me why are the Social Democrats candidates so on manifesto? How have they managed to get a unified party line unlike FG , FF , Labour were it seems to be everyone for themselves .

Are there any other parties who has the same level of discipline?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So I'll actually start this with a other question . It seems to me the SDs candidates are sticking to their manifesto . Would you agree with this? If not can you give me some examples?

If you agree with me why are the Social Democrats candidates so on manifesto? How have they managed to get a unified party line unlike FG , FF , Labour were it seems to be everyone for themselves .

They'd have to get in to be judged on that. The others you mention will do what they like once in. Look at Donnelly, signed up with FF of all things.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I can't say much about my local SD candidate apart from that her previous experience in public appears to be entirely based on the repeal campaign and nothing else.
    She also made a balls of her election posters by having her name spelt incorrectly (Killeen not Kileen) :rolleyes:

59189059_10157280551627372_1192620514389000192_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=455791918f432b25c52bca41d18ef726&oe=5D38F1C6

Catherine Byrne called to my door the other day canvassing for her and I'd have liked to find out if Nuala isn't the idiot I think her to be but I was in the middle of something important and couldn't leave it. The election literature isn't inspiring anyhow.

I can't say much about my local SD candidate apart from that her previous experience in public appears to be entirely based on the repeal campaign and nothing else.
    She also made a balls of her election posters by having her name spelt incorrectly (Killeen not Kileen) :rolleyes:

59189059_10157280551627372_1192620514389000192_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=455791918f432b25c52bca41d18ef726&oe=5D38F1C6

Catherine Byrne called to my door the other day canvassing for her and I'd have liked to find out if Nuala isn't the idiot I think her to be but I was in the middle of something important and couldn't leave it. The election literature isn't inspiring anyhow.

Do you mean Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We have one called June Murphy!
    She was with Sinn Fein last time around.

https://twitter.com/cllrjunemurphy?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Her and Rita harrold in dublin are the definition of single issue electioneering, their agendas and motivations are so transparent , terrible candidates, but ill bet you a coke that both of them will lose and have articles printed in various local rags blaming sexism/capitalism/the patriarchy etc..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because there aren't very many of them; and if you piss off the leadership (and your surname isn't Gannon) they go on the attack in the media.

L1011 wrote: »
    Because there aren't very many of them; and if you piss off the leadership (and your surname isn't Gannon) they go on the attack in the media.

Or, as a very small party, they are attracting the people who are actually agreeing with manifesto who also get selected.

The manifesto comes from HQ and is passed along to candidates. Those in larger parties would have less input, even in regard to who represents their area. I know of one case where a person from HQ introduced the local branch to their candidate, (not from the area, but in tight with HQ) over looking a number of decent local options.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you mean Murphy?
    Yeah Murphy not Byrne, not concentrating on boards properly - work getting in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Not sure about Labour or the Greens in this regard - most of them to be towing the line and there's very little deviation in this regard. I have noticed a few around the country in these parties who do have slightly different stances, but I feel like it's much easier to focus on a core set of values in a small party where most candidates would know each other, and know plenty of people on an Ard Comhairle who could get their policy priorities across. Why the SocDems in particular? This is their first outing in a local election, so they got to design a manifesto completely from scratch, and with only 58 counties and 3 - 400 active members it is very easy to get specific local concerns into a manifesto, less so in somewhere like FF or FG with deep running alliances, rivalries, and hundreds of candidates to take care of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

man98 wrote: »
    Not sure about Labour or the Greens in this regard - most of them to be towing the line and there's very little deviation in this regard. I have noticed a few around the country in these parties who do have slightly different stances, but I feel like it's much easier to focus on a core set of values in a small party where most candidates would know each other, and know plenty of people on an Ard Comhairle who could get their policy priorities across. Why the SocDems in particular? This is their first outing in a local election, so they got to design a manifesto completely from scratch, and with only 58 counties and 3 - 400 active members it is very easy to get specific local concerns into a manifesto, less so in somewhere like FF or FG with deep running alliances, rivalries, and hundreds of candidates to take care of.

I guess so their size makes it easier to be "focused" . FF and FG tend to be a broad tent .

I guess so their size makes it easier to be "focused" . FF and FG tend to be a broad tent .

Based in Galway I believe.

Advertisement