Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

50k for 30 days

• 09-05-2019 9:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

Two of Irelands top elite Utramarathoners Run 50k everyday for 30 days in Irelands Biggest ever charity running event undertaken by irish Athletes
    Dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-bus-driver-take-staggering-16245300

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Elite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Ireland's biggest ever charity running event?

Fair play to the lads for raising money for a good cause but I think there might be a bit of slight overselling going on here on more than one front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Im not a runner so wouldn't have a clue, but surely 10 hours of walking at 5kmph followed by 14 hours rest should do the job. No? Even some light jogging to bring the hours down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Elite?

Top Elite, RQ, top elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good lads, took part in a 5k they had arranged a few weeks back. 50k once scares the life out of me. Fair play to them is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Is there a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hoboo wrote: »
    Im not a runner so wouldn't have a clue, but surely 10 hours of walking at 5kmph followed by 14 hours rest should do the job. No? Even some light jogging to bring the hours down.

You're basically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Elite?

I can only hope that they are being misquoted in the article, and that they're not unbelievably deluded in reality (That kind of thing happens all too frequently)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Fair play to them. I'm gonna put the 'Top elite' thing down to lazy journalism anyway. Can't see any runner calling themselves that in an interview! Well maybe Dean Karnazes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Dublinlive

Keep going lads, nearly there

DAY 15 COMPLETED

Of what is definitely the most extraordinary charity event
    Ever undertaking by any Irish athletes In Ireland
    Running 50k a day for 30 days
    All in Aid of As I am & Realt Aras Charity autism

ITS OFFICIALLY IRELANDS BIGGEST
    ULTRA EVENT EVER 🀭

Weather conditions as you all know where as crazy as our two athletes that decide to take on this epic journey of running 50k for 30 days none stop

Torrential rain heavy winds & freezing conditions followed by sunshine ☀️
    Did not hold our athletes back
    In what was possibly the worse day of the 15

Dublin bus Head office this afternoon that inspired them on towards completing day 15
    And with your support can help them along this journey
    As we have previously mentioned
    This is not a personal challenge for our athletes
    That it’s about bringing awareness of autism
    And raising badly needed funds
    With out your support
    This is not possible
    We are asking you to please support this charity event by liking sharing or making a donation
    by clicking the link above

Team ultra marathon would like to thank you &
    Wish Michael & Noel the very best wishes for completing day 16 tomorrow, after tomorrow
    We will only have 13 days left to bring awareness and raise as much funds as we can
    But again we can’t do it without you

So please it’s now more then ever that we need your support

Team ultra marathon
    Would like to say Hi to friends that
    Both Micheal & Noel met today
    From Dublin & Canada welcome home guys
    Thank you all for your support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Are you an autobot with English as your 4th language?

sideswipe wrote: »
    Fair play to them. I'm gonna put the 'Top elite' thing down to lazy journalism anyway. Can't see any runner calling themselves that in an interview! Well maybe Dean Karnazes!

Really? Plenty of random, mediocre runners who like the odd back slap for plodding around 'events' like these like to self declare themselves as elites and what not. One of the downsides of social media sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Duanington

Really? Plenty of random, mediocre runners who like the odd back slap for plodding around 'events' like these like to self declare themselves as elites and what not. One of the downsides of social media sadly.

I bumped into them at the launch of this charity gig they're on ( it was a 5k run in the phoenix park)....couldn't meet 2 more humble fellas, there was very little bragging and certainly no declaration of them being elites ( by them anyway).
    Sound lads, raising a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Fair enough- I’ve never done the social media thing, if you don’t count Strava!!
    There seems to be a lot of sub-context with this one, probably an a-side from the social media stuff not to mention the op’s extravagant declarations!

ITS OFFICIALLY IRELANDS BIGGEST
    ULTRA EVENT EVER

Can’t insert roll eyes on my phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don’t understand the antagonism either.

You can hardly blame the two runners and their fundraising effort for the exuberance and hype of the Dublin Live ‘journalist’.

Or for the evils of social media, which seem to be at the root of all evil from the slapping of backs to the demise of Ballycotton. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Jesus, 2 lads doing their bit for a charity obviously close to home can't even do that without getting a lashing on a forum, although this forum doesn't surprise me.

Ran past the two lads in the lashing rain the other day, they were in top spirits and were laughing away, on day 13 or so, class.

Journos will do their bit to get the 'clickbait' title, as Murph said you cant blame the lads for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Enduro wrote: »
    You're basically correct.

Not taking the piss or knocking the lads, just wondering what the strategy would be. Is it run 10k at 10kph, then rest an hour or walk, then another 10k or wtf. Genuinely interested. Its serious mileage to me as a non runner, bit yet seems not that elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Hoboo wrote: »
    Not taking the piss or knocking the lads, just wondering what the strategy would be. Is it run 10k at 10kph, then rest an hour or walk, then another 10k or wtf. Genuinely interested. Its serious mileage to me as a non runner, bit yet seems not that elite.

I'd love to tell you, but for some reason they are happy to post the GPS data on FB but they are covering up the time field.

479988.jpg

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Jesus, 2 lads doing their bit for a charity obviously close to home can't even do that without getting a lashing on a forum, although this forum doesn't surprise me.

Raising money for a worthy cause is always a good thing, and nobody is having go at them for that.

But when someone who is definitely not an elite athlete is being called exactly that then that's asking for criticism.

Like Enduro I really do hope that it was some idiot journo who put in that comment and not one of the lads themselves - both of whom I know reasonably well and they are perfectly nice fellas.

But when someone who is definitely not an elite athlete is being called exactly that then that's asking for criticism.

I'd agree 100%, only if it was the lads calling themselves that. But we don't know that so I don't see why lads are jumping down their throats without knowing whether it's them or the typical 'clickbait' titles that Dublin live are known for posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Passed them in the park this morning, as they strolled up from the Furry Glen, so the mileage must be taking it's toll. Couldn't see myself taking on something like this. It's not quite the athletic feat that Dublinlive is selling it as, but still a sizable commitment. Would not fancy walking that far each day.

Ran past the two lads in the lashing rain the other day, they were in top spirits and were laughing away, on day 13 or so, class.

Journos will do their bit to get the 'clickbait' title, as Murph said you cant blame the lads for that one.

Where are they getting a lashing from anyone? :confused:
    I disputed the 'elite', someone else disputed the biggest charity tagline but I don't see where either them are personally getting a lashing? :confused:

I disputed the 'elite', someone else disputed the biggest charity tagline but I don't see where either them are personally getting a lashing? :confused:

I’m impressed at the level of interest from the mods, considering the lack of engagement in recent months/years. It’s pretty obvioous what’s going on here, and ironic that ‘social media’ are being held up for a beating when it’s painfully obvious that this whole thread itself seems to have been prompted by social media backchat. :rolleyes:

Digging up marathon pictures, would obviously had to have went back on M's Facebook group to see the number, then search on finisher pix...why bother? I'd say there's a big number of people running under false numbers for DCM whether they want to admit it or not. I don't agree with it as much as the next person, but I wouldn't go them lengths to call them out on a forum board.

Then slagging off his Facebook group (I'm not in btw) but I understand it's for personal reasons, why not just leave him to it? It's just a different form of training log.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

What bloody harm are they doing. Leave them at it ffs.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I’m impressed at the level of interest from the mods, considering the lack of engagement in recent months/years. It’s pretty obvioous what’s going on here, and ironic that ‘social media’ are being held up for a beating when it’s painfully obvious that this whole thread itself seems to have been prompted by social media backchat. :rolleyes:

Random accusation but hardly surprising mods who have done ultra events in the past would click into/be interested in a thread about an ultra event and given TBF is still very much in the ultra distance running scene so hardly surprising that he'd be following it on FB too, but sure why not try to desperately try and find something in peoples comments that isn't there.

You are 100% incorrect on my part anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Digging up marathon pictures, would obviously had to have went back on M's Facebook group to see the number, then search on finisher pix...why bother?

No you are wrong on that.
    More a case of someone who should have won an Irish Championship medal checked out the pictures of people who beat her to discover an imposter.
    Imposter turns out to be (Quite) well known internet spoofer who regularly declares himself ‘ kingdom crusader’ ‘son of king’ ‘elite runner’ etc etc.

The guy is odious (In my opinion of course).

Random accusation but hardly surprising mods who have done ultra events in the past would click into/be interested in a thread about an ultra event and given TBF is still very much in the ultra distance running scene so hardly surprising that he'd be following it on FB too, but sure why not try to desperately try and find something in peoples comments that isn't there.

You are 100% incorrect on my part anyway.

This thread - and you know it - is a toxic pile of shyte. And you're right - it's not surprising that ultra event runners (including myself) are interested. The thrust seems to be that the lads are walking, and that that deserves pointing out. Fair enough, if true - but why be so circumspect about it? If it's a problem, talk about it, and tell everyone why. The snitty accusations seem (to me) to be underhand and a bit embarrassing for all concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Dublinlive

Thanks for all the support you guys
    Day 17 Completed

only 12 days left Tomorrow 🀭

With both athletes having to take time out to visit
    PhysioCare chartered physiotherapist
    Due to One of our athletes sustaining an injury
    That normally would be advised to rest for 6 to 8 weeks
    Due to the professionalism of Eoin from PhysioCare
    Our athlete was back on his feet & heading back to the park to complete
    Today’s 50k
    With the determination & commitment of bringing awareness of autism our athletes went about there daily duty in doing so
    While meeting new friends from
    Motlagh historical society old castles county Meath on there visit to Farmleigh in Dublin's Phoenix and making new friends from Dublin city

Our aim is towards bringing awareness
    Of autism & raising funds for our charity
    We are asking you for your support
    And you can make a donation by clicking the link above or liking & sharing our page
    With out your support this is not possible

Thank you for supporting
    As I am & Realt Aras Charity autism

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    This thread - and you know it - is a toxic pile of shyte. And you're right - it's not surprising that ultra event runners (including myself) are interested. The thrust seems to be that the lads are walking, and that that deserves pointing out. Fair enough, if true - but why be so circumspect about it? If it's a problem, talk about it, and tell everyone why. The snitty accusations seem (to me) to be underhand and a bit embarrassing for all concerned.

:confused: WTF are you going on about?

That the lads are walking at times doesn't particularly deserve pointing out, I'd very much expect them to do so when they're doing that kind of mileage.

The two guys themselves are doing just fine. Fair play for running that kind of mileage day after day and for raising money for charity in the process.

What slightly irks me is the overhyping from dublinlive.

Advertisement