Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Furbo.

Options
  • 06-05-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what’s the story with buying a house in furbo? I’ve heard that you need to do some interview as they don’t want blow ins buying there. You need fluent Irish?? Which is absolutely ridiculous in itself.

Is it just to build a house out there or to buy also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Carraroe has a policy of Irish spoken, it is to stop the decline of Irish as a community language.
    I don't know if Furbo has this policy.
    If you don't agree with local policy you probably shouldn't move there. There are plenty of villages where English is spoken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/brush-up-on-your-buntus-if-you-want-to-buy-a-home-in-the-gaeltacht-1.471045

A legacy of the Celtic Tiger. Yes it is ridiculous but the Irish lobby is strong (and wasteful). It cannot apply to every house. Ask a local estate agent for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The sellers, agents etc generally oppose restricting buyers as it will end up reducing prices. I know plenty of people who bought houses & have no Irish. I have lived near Spiddal for 20 years & have zero Irish - it's never been a problem. Talk to the agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cool, so it seems at least around the Spiddal area there is no restrictions around Irish.
    I see plenty adverts on daft etc so there are houses available

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

biko wrote: »
    Cool, so it seems at least around the Spiddal area there is no restrictions around Irish.
    I see plenty adverts on daft etc so there are houses available

There are restrictions on some new builds. They had to reduce the price of some apartments because they couldn't find Irish speaking buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Discodog wrote: »
    The sellers, agents etc generally oppose restricting buyers as it will end up reducing prices. I know plenty of people who bought houses & have no Irish. I have lived near Spiddal for 20 years & have zero Irish - it's never been a problem. Talk to the agents.

Cheers. Thanks very much.

Advertisement