Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chicken Balls "Chinese" style

• 05-05-2019 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know which supermarkets stock similar chicken balls to the ones you get in a chinese take away? Fresh or frozen

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone know which supermarkets stock similar chicken balls to the ones you get in a chinese take away? Fresh or frozen

TIA

SuperValu. Fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hoboo wrote: »
    SuperValu. Fresh.

Think I got those before but are quite small? Like chicken pieces in batter, didn't taste like the chinese take away ones if they are the same we are talking about.

Think I got those before but are quite small? Like chicken pieces in batter, didn't taste like the chinese take away ones if they are the same we are talking about.

No idea, I've seen them but don't buy stuff like that. Would you not try making them yourself, very easy to do.

Hoboo wrote: »
    No idea, I've seen them but don't buy stuff like that. Would you not try making them yourself, very easy to do.

Any recipe's you could recommend tks?

Any recipe's you could recommend tks?

https://www.netmums.com/recipes/chinese-chicken-balls

There are plenty of others but this is minimal fuss and very easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

There used to be one of those outlet butcher-type businesses near me that stocked big bags of frozen takeaway-style chicken balls so maybe look out for somewhere like that? It was this small chain: https://www.facebook.com/courtneyfoodservice/ but I think the business has broken up into independent outlets now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

vicwatson wrote:

If they tasted like the ones from a Chinese, why would anyone order from a restaurant? :D

The only way to get them the same/similar is to make them from scratch and deep fry them yourself.

tedpan wrote: »
    If they tasted like the ones from a Chinese, why would anyone order from a restaurant? :D

The only way to get them the same/similar is to make them from scratch and deep fry them yourself.

The Chinese restaurants definitely buy them in, just like most chippers buy in their battered cod etc

They might order them as they might not be bothered making them themselves, not interested in cooking etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

aldi do them and they are passable. I roll them in more oil to be closer to deep fried (I airfry them). They have a decent amount of chicken in them. I would prefer them over my nearest takeaway which are too doughy and too little chicken.

A tip buying them, or nuggest is to feel that they are all loose in the bag, I hate when you get some stuck together and then when broken all the batter comes off in some spots.

If you want Chinese takeaway curry sauce I would recommend Goldfish madras chinese curry sauce.
    The Chinese restaurants definitely buy them in, just like most chippers buy in their battered cod etc
    I don't think I have ever got ones commerically premade, maybe I did but did not know. At off peak times I have seen them battering fish in all the chippers in my area, I would imagine it would be dearer to buy in predone. And the chicken balls are all noticeably different between them all the chinese places in my area.

Most do of course prepare them in advance, in batches for the day, so you will certainly see battered cods lined up, and I have seen chicken balls ready to go (as I always peek in when the door/hatch opens), I asked for thinner batter in my local and they said they can't as they are all done earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I just copied this guys recipe and they turned out quite well. Very easy, most important thing I found when making them is getting the temperature of the oil just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Vis6rro2k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lidl do 'Chicken Footballs' or some similarly-named product. I've not tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco have 2 types glenhaven & diggers, I have not bothered trying them as they are over a tenner a kilo, so would sooner just get them in the takeaways.

On this channel he mentions a certain flour as being very important.

Now he does also have an online shop and sells this flour, so does have a vested interest. However he does seem believable when he talks about various brands, and have seen brands he recommends talked about elsewhere (e.g. jimmys satay sauce and eastern star curry powder)
    This flour is the only flour that makes chicken balls as fluffy as they are. The flour itself is much finer and has more rising agent than a flour found in a western super market. I you wonder why you can't replicate them at home it because you NEED this flour.

We will be making a video on how to make chicken ball in the near future.

it can be got here
    https://www.asiamarket.ie/green-dragon-self-raising-flour-1-5kg.html

Note he reckons there is more rising agent, so more could be added to regular SF flour.

There is a Chinese takeaway in Dalkey, Lees kitchen and many people rave about their chicken balls which have a very thin batter. From tasting and looking at it I believe they have some potato starch in the batter mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ritchie2018

Guys, the chicken balls are cooked using the starter deep fryer oil in Chinese restaurants. This oil has a unique taste to it. You wont buy anything that tastes like it.
    And by the way this deep fryer oil is drained, filtered and used to cook every stir fry dish, including the rice.

How do I know? My Wife cooks in Scotlands top rated Chinese restaurant. And this is how the chicken balls taste different. It's just a marinade then flour and water put in the oil at the correct temperature. If it's a very thin batter it will just be potato starch.

Forgot to add the chicken balls and all battered meats are twice cooked.

Advertisement