Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky VIP screening of final episode

Options
  • 02-05-2019 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Did anybody else win tickets to this? We got an email last night saying we won. I don’t remember what the details were when I entered and all the email says is “immersive screening experience at spectacular secret location in Dublin”

Has anyone been to one of the sky events before and knows what it’s like? Or remember what it said when entering the competition?

I’m super excited and just want to know more about it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Did anybody else win tickets to this? We got an email last night saying we won. I don’t remember what the details were when I entered and all the email says is “immersive screening experience at spectacular secret location in Dublin”

Has anyone been to one of the sky events before and knows what it’s like? Or remember what it said when entering the competition?

I’m super excited and just want to know more about it!

It didn't give much further info upon entry either! I'm jealous all the same, congratulations! I've just pulled this from a promo email "Win tickets to an exclusive screening of the final ever episode and enter the wonders of Westeros at a spectacular location in Dublin. Dine on a Game of Thrones-style banquet before discovering who’ll be the one to claim the Iron Throne."

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Dine on a Game of Thrones-style banquet

Are you sure that's a good idea?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ciaran wrote: »
    Are you sure that's a good idea?
    As long as the musicians can play well and you skip the pie you're fine :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm not sure if it made a difference but Sky have us down as "Platinum" customers because we've been with them so long.

To be honest, my husband and myself are both vegan so the feast will probably be wasted on us. Not sure Westeros catered for dietary requirements! But I'm sure it'll be fun anyway.

Actually, that rules out fermented goats milk too! But I'm sure there'll be plenty of wine!

Part of me hopes it's in a cinema, cos I think it would look really great on a big screen. But not sure they would call a cinema a "spectacular secret location", so maybe something outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Me too! Sounds fab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Odeon in the point I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I got 2 tickets also. I still think I'll watch it at 2am live as spoilers will be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Odeon in the point I think

What time is the screening on at lads.

I entered with great hopes, but alas nothing. Im still holding out hopes for 30 euro Dominos voucher.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Please report back and tell us how it went! Sounds fun.

Genealogy Forum Mod

stesaurus wrote: »
    I got 2 tickets also. I still think I'll watch it at 2am live as spoilers will be everywhere.

Thats the big dilemma we're having. Watch it before work in the morning so we don't risk spoilers. Or watch it for the first time that evening and potentially enjoy the experience more.

It might dull the evening a little if we already know what happens.

Nobody at work is gonna spoil anything, so if we just stay off the internet we will probably be fine.

• Advertisement

Just went into the Sky VIP app and found a bit that says "show tickets", currently the tickets don't give any more info but it says "we will update you with timings and more info about the event by May 8th"

So I guess we'll get the rest of the details then :)

Checked the tickets again this morning (impatient I know!) and whilst the info hasn't updated yet, there's a google map which is now set to The Blind Pig Speakeasy in Dublin ?? It does have Winterfell Crypts/Beneath Kings Landing vibe, but not somewhere I would have guessed. Maybe it's just an error, who knows!

They sent around an email about an hour ago giving more details around the times. No announcement of venue until the 15th apparently.
    Doors at 6:15 with drinks, followed by a banquet and then the screenings. There's a pre and post thronecast episode. So it looks like the actual episode time will mirror Sky Atlantic's screenings.
    I've been to the blind pig before but can't really picture where they'd have a screen that's viewable by all. Small venue also.

Also who's dressing up??? ðŸ˜

stesaurus wrote: »
    They sent around an email about an hour ago giving more details around the times. No announcement of venue until the 15th apparently.
    Doors at 6:15 with drinks, followed by a banquet and then the screenings. There's a pre and post thronecast episode. So it looks like the actual episode time will mirror Sky Atlantic's screenings.
    I've been to the blind pig before but can't really picture where they'd have a screen that's viewable by all. Small venue also.

Also who's dressing up??? ðŸ˜

Ah the email probably went to my husband.

Wouldn't be super interested in the Thronecast stuff, but I'd imagine the atmosphere will be pretty good so might enjoy it more than normal.

Yeah the place doesn't look huge, not sure how many people to expect. The google map thing could be wrong I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KristenHeigl

Tell me about something happening in France? I am here in Paris for work. Might stay here beyond this season of GOT. I am planning to watch episodes with friends here or any screenings that are happening near by. Unfortunately, I have been very unlucky :p

Nothing happened so far and even for streaming got, I got to do a lot of work in order to enjoy 1080p. VPNRanks website helped me but I was somehow unable to stream HBO Go here. Don't know what went wrong all though my ISP, VPN or proxies are solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

I'm not sure if it made a difference but Sky have us down as "Platinum" customers because we've been with them so long.

To be honest, my husband and myself are both vegan so the feast will probably be wasted on us. Not sure Westeros catered for dietary requirements! But I'm sure it'll be fun anyway.

Actually, that rules out fermented goats milk too! But I'm sure there'll be plenty of wine!

Part of me hopes it's in a cinema, cos I think it would look really great on a big screen. But not sure they would call a cinema a "spectacular secret location", so maybe something outdoors?

good chance the wine wont be vegan either

poppers wrote: »
    good chance the wine wont be vegan either

Sure if they don't have any of the ones I know are vegan, I'll just have gin instead! If it does end up being in a bar/pub I'm sure we can just order our own drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ashygiggsy

I also won tickets to this event and it had said on the last email that they would reveal more details re the location by the 15th and I was just wondering if anyone else had received a further email

Ashygiggsy wrote: »
    I also won tickets to this event and it had said on the last email that they would reveal more details re the location by the 15th and I was just wondering if anyone else had received a further email

My husbands out at the minute but don't think he's had anything yet.

Thanks a mill just dying to know where the location is

• Advertisement

Our luck must be in cos we won the dominoes competition as well!

That’s great you should get a ticket for the lottery tonight.

Still no email in re location for Monday night I hope they send it soon as anticipation is killing me

Not sure if the emails have gone out yet but the tickets on the app now say it's in the RDS! Not what I was expecting at all but should be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

We won the Dominos feast as well. Hope you all enjoy the screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

sue97 wrote: »
    We won the Dominos feast as well. Hope you all enjoy the screening.

Same here. D'ye have to order on the app and just enter the code from the email?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭orwell77

We won the dominos as well.. tried to order the 24 Euro and brought the order up to 30 but the code only gave me €7 off.. rang my local shop and they advised me to take out the meal deal and order separates and it worked.. currently enjoining pizza, wedges, garlic bread and chicken strips for 2 Euro... thanks to whoever posted this originally as I never check my VIP app

Thought I’d post a quick update. Have some pics but will do those tomorrow. Stuff looks cool but not quite as “immersive” as I thought it would be.

Free bar which is nice, although as we didn’t know this one of us has to drive, but good none the less.

From a viewing perspective the screen is set up terribly. A little small for the size of the room, seating isn’t tiered so can’t see over people’s heads and the screen is placed under skylights so it’s all washed out. It’s a very brightly lit building and the light is all natural so think the picture will be poor during the episode.

Not trying to be negative or anything! Just observations so far.

Here’s a few photos. I didn’t take that many but there wasn’t really a lot to photograph.

They had an area with some of the winterfell wooden chairs and another area set up like the “hold the door” scene. That was it.

I’d say they spent the majority of their budget on the free bar and the food. They did have vegan options, nothing exciting but plenty of it. The meat food looked good and very authentic to the theme. Personally I would rather they spent more of the budget on decking the place out and creating a truly immersive experience. There’s no point having rows of candles that aren’t even lit because it’s basically day time. Put it in a proper hall that’s dark and make it feel like a moody authentic winter fell banquet.

As I suspected, watching the episode was pants. Screen completely washed out and too low to the ground, when she was giving her speech everyone was standing up to try and see the subtitles. The sound was incredible, although slightly put off by the cutlery and glasses being collected and cleaned and staff generally cleaning up.

If the visuals had matched the sound it would have been epic. We watched it again at home and the difference was staggering. Like the first 5 minutes was just Tyrion’s silhouette moving across a black background!

As it was free none of this matters that much. But if it had been something you’d paid to enter, you’d be pretty pissed.

It could have been done better for sure but hey it was free. I'm glad I watched it prior as I would have been pissed off with the subtitles, lighting and those guests who can't seem to handle more than 1 drink.
    Not too many dressed up though which was disappointing. Food was excellent though, so much available and all was really tasty. I wish I had of left the car home though, why did they not mention the free bar???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

For those of you asking me over IM, I’m not a sky customer so I wasn’t at this

Advertisement