Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Investments

Options
  • 30-04-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know about property investment schemes?
    How do they work? Whats the buy-in? Are they different to REITs?

My basic understanding is that you invest an amount of money with a group of other investors. This group owns a number of properties in a variety(?) of locations. These commercial and residential properties are rented out. You get a cut of said rent.

Its an area that has been on my radar. Though I'm really just curious about the mechanics of the deal more than anything.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Diceicle wrote: »
    Does anyone know about property investment schemes?
    How do they work? Whats the buy-in? Are they different to REITs?

My basic understanding is that you invest an amount of money with a group of other investors. This group owns a number of properties in a variety(?) of locations. These commercial and residential properties are rented out. You get a cut of said rent.

Its an area that has been on my radar. Though I'm really just curious about the mechanics of the deal more than anything.

Thanks.

But they don't work! All across Europe there are plenty of examples and do not even get started on Irish failures. They in have no place in most people's portfolios.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks. Is there a particular reason they don't work?

Diceicle wrote: »
    Thanks. Is there a particular reason they don't work?

There are dozens of articles out there on what went wrong. Do a bit of googling...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

I figure they can't work until Brexit is fixed. Also, interest rates staying down helps builders.

Diairist wrote: »
    I figure they can't work until Brexit is fixed. Also, interest rates staying down helps builders.

Nothing to do with BREXIT, it was not even a topic in that period. Banks and asset managers create and sell these products so nothing to do with builders nor interest rates either.

You simply break all the rules of investing when you take on these products and it should not be surprising that it ends in tears for most people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement