Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Sonia got it right about hyperandrogenism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Nature has made us all a bit different, but basically you are a male or female.

Basically you're making an assumption which is incorrect. I'd suggest you google the word "Intersex" and try and understand that there are shades of grey in the world. On a human level if you would prefer not to cause unnecessary upset to people and their families who live with the reality that the world has shades of grey (And I'm making an assumption here myself, that that would be your preference) then please open your mind to learning about this.

And back to the more broad debate on the CAS ruling...

There's a long way to go in this yet. Personally I'm with the IAAF on this. I think if athletics has a female category, which is a protected category, then the parameters which define who is allowed to compete in the category needs to be well defined. That's basic fairness. There are going to be losers whatever parameters are defined. But I think the IAAF are correct to try to tighten up these parameters as much as possible based on the best available scientific evidence.

As I've said in other threads I'd be in favour of changing the male category to "open" and allowing absolutely everyone to compete there without any reference to gender, but tighten up the rules around the female category as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Am I getting this right

She has 2 choices

1.Take Testosterone lowering medicine ( is that even safe?) and compete as normal

2.Not take Testosterone lowering medicine and she can't run her favoured events 400-1500m but she can run shorter events 100-200m and longer events

What kinda crazy stuff is that?

Surely 100-200m favours high testosterone?

She has testes and no womb

Sadly it should be choice number 3, not allowed compete in men or women, cause shes neither, she's intersex, they could have an intersex competition I suppose

She can't have a baby, but can impregnate with semen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Mike9832 wrote: »

While this is widely assumed to be true, nobody but her doctors and herself knows for sure, and it's nobody else's business.

Just because she is an athlete at the highest level does not make her body public property, and some of the stuff that gets written and speculated about her is a gross violation of her privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Caster Semenya is being treated horribly imo. She was born a woman and should be allowed to compete as a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

While this is widely assumed to be true, nobody but her doctors and herself knows for sure, and it's nobody else's business.

Just because she is an athlete at the highest level does not make her body public property, and some of the stuff that gets written and speculated about her is a gross violation of her privacy.
    Caster Semenya is being treated horribly imo. She was born a woman and should be allowed to compete as a woman.

I'll leave it this as this is one of those futile type debates which is impossible to have any reasonable discussion on without getting hinted as a bad person.

You are both wrong. Caster Semenya is intersex and was conceived as a genetic male. Her chromosome profile is 46XY confirmed by the CAS hearing and herself, something I know no one here has actually read due to misinformation being spread here as anyone who has read it knows the implications of the findings as they are quite clear. There is no speculation on the matter and emotional rhetoric does nothing but shutdown debate on the topic at hand. A debate that huge implications on society and sport as a whole.

• Advertisement

Don't agree tbh

She's competing at elite level, tests should be done

Would you let your daughter fight her in UFC/Boxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

When she starts running men's times then let the debate begin....she's not remotely close to them....She's a woman for me then...

Although I see the argument from the other females side, maybe sour grapes is creeping in here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

walshb wrote: »
    When she starts running men's times then let the debate begin....she's not remotely close to them....She's a woman for me then...

Although I see the argument from the other females side, maybe sour grapes is creeping in here...

That point doesn't really hold. Just because she has the "advantages" of male development and consequently is an elite competitor in female events, that same advantage doesn't necessarily confeer elite level in male events. This is how it works for the majority of the male population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

You don't run close to the mens times, should you be able to compete in the Women's 800m?

This is nothing but blatant shameless trolling. A thread like this is like all Walshb's Christmasses coming at once.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    You don't run close to the mens times, should you be able to compete in the Women's 800m?

If born female? Yes!

Fusitive wrote: »
    This is nothing but blatant shameless trolling. A thread like this is like all Walshb's Christmasses coming at once.

I have to applaud this. It reads brilliantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Fusitive, do you have a link to the CAS report? I’d be interested to read it. I think this is a hugely significant ruling for women’s sport. I’d like to see the IAAF expand the ruling to include all T&F events, and other sporting bodies to follow.

Candamir wrote: »
    Fusitive, do you have a link to the CAS report? I’d be interested to read it. I think this is a hugely significant ruling for women’s sport. I’d like to see the IAAF expand the ruling to include all T&F events, and other sporting bodies to follow.

The full report isn't up yet but here's a summary from CAS on the positions of each party in the hearing which does give significant information despite it's brevity.

https://drive.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/CAS_Executive_Summary__5794_.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

non-drive link here
    https://www.politicsweb.co.za/documents/caster-semenya-cas-ruling-executive-summary
    During the course of the proceedings before the CAS, the IAAF explained that, following an amendment to the DSD Regulations, the DSD covered by the Regulations are limited to “46 XY DSD” – i.e. conditions where the affected individual has XY chromosomes. Accordingly, no individuals with XX chromosomes are subjected to any restrictions or eligibility conditions under the DSD Regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

If born a woman? Yes!

See unfortunately she wasn't by all definitions.

I'm not sure what the right answer is, they're pretty much all unfair to someone. Lesser of all evils is letting the 99% of women without this biological advantage to compete without them I guess? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

RayCun wrote: »
    During the course of the proceedings before the CAS, the IAAF explained that, following an amendment to the DSD Regulations, the DSD covered by the Regulations are limited to “46 XY DSD” – i.e. conditions where the affected individual has XY chromosomes. Accordingly, no individuals with XX chromosomes are subjected to any restrictions or eligibility conditions under the DSD Regulations.
    Surely, that is saying it's not just about testosterone. If you don't have a Y chromosome, then they are saying it doesn't matter what your testosterone level is. My reading is that chromosomes are the primary determinant, and that "artificially" reducing testosterone is a way of mitigating that?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe if Caster was running close to the men's times one could get behind this idea....she's not.....she doesn't even own a WR, does she?

The 400 and 800 world records both stand since the mid 80s and are held by an East German and a Czech. Whole other debate there......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Am I getting this right

She has 2 choices

1.Take Testosterone lowering medicine ( is that even safe?) and compete as normal

2.Not take Testosterone lowering medicine and she can't run her favoured events 400-1500m but she can run shorter events 100-200m and longer events

Yes, those are the the current choices she faces. It raises some ethical questions around the IAAF demanding certain drugs to be administered for eligibility in a specific cohort while simultaneously advocating drug free competition in the rest of the athlete population.

The range of events affected arises from the history of the case, specifically the data that the IAAF collected to prove that Testosterone affects performance. It's worth noting that this data has been disputed, however that doesn't mean that Testosterone doesn't confer and advantage on DSD athletes.
    What kinda crazy stuff is that?

Surely 100-200m favours high testosterone?

IAAF are surely aiming to expand the restrictions to all events but it will take time, probably around 5 years to do the studies to back it up. They could introduce the rules for all events now, but they would immediately be challenged legally and they would lose.
    Sadly it should be choice number 3, not allowed compete in men or women, cause shes neither, she's intersex, they could have an intersex competition I suppose

This will debated for some time. I certainly don't have the answer.
    She can't have a baby, but can impregnate with semen?

I don't know where to start with this. Ignorance manifest.

IAAF are surely aiming to expand the restrictions to all events but it will take time, probably around 5 years to do the studies to back it up. They could introduce the rules for all events now, but they would immediately be challenged legally and they would lose.

It will be interesting to see if intersex athletes currently competing in restricted events will switch to 200m/ 3000m. I saw somewhere that Semenya was going to switch to 5,000.
    The IAAF will have a self selected study cohort if that’s the case.

I don't know where to start with this. Ignorance manifest.

That’s a bit unfair. I think it’s clear from the various postings on this issue across boards that intersex/DSD is poorly understood.
    Not all DSD persons are infertile. Maybe that’s what the poster was getting at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The comparison to tall and small basketball players, black and white sprinters is flawed. Ross Tucker explains here:

https://twitter.com/scienceofsport/status/1123961431068676100?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Not to sound crude but was she born with a vagina or a penis? If she has a vagina, she should be allowed to compete with the women. Sounds simplistic but that would be my opinion.

Not to sound crude but was she born with a vagina or a penis? If she has a vagina, she should be allowed to compete with the women. Sounds simplistic but that would be my opinion.

I posted this earlier but deleted it as I didn't want to get into an argument but I'll leave it here just to clear up some things as I think it's important to inform in the best way we can from our understanding. I will preface this post with the warning that I am not an expert in this particular domain but I have a background in plant biology and that this is my watered down remidial knowledge interpretation of the science in this case which will not cover the huge complexities of intersex biology. I apoligise if anyone sees this as crass but it is unavoidable in this discussion if anyone wants to gain an understanding of the case. Science may seem cold and distant but that is what makes it the best arbitrator in emotionally charged debates.

Here's what I wrote

This isn't a direct response to your question but I think this is relevant to this discussion so we have to go with what we know here.

She is karotype 46 XY(a typical male chromosome profile). Someone who is 46 XY is conceived as a male but where it gets complicated is that in the very early stages of development in the womb, we are all female until the Y chromosome triggers androgen response in males. If the the androgen response is weak or the foetus has a degree of insensitivity to androgen, it stunts development of male sexual organs and characteristics depending on the degree of response. This leads to a situation where the female reproductive system is still present from the earlier development of all foetuses(we all start out as women) and the male organs do not develop fully either. For some depending on the extent, that can mean very little ambiguity that may never be noticed and does not inhibit male sexual reproduction or it can mean being born with external female charactheristics as the development of male reproductive systems never developed externally. Some people in the later scenario can be infertile and cannot impregnate while others can but never naturally. Someone with a karotype 46 XY can never get pregnant though as they possess a male XY profile and not a female XX profile that is necessary for full development of female reproductive organs.

On a slight tangent here but that one piece of information about Caster Semenya's chromosome profile tells a lot and can clear up a lot of misconceptions floating around about this case and the IAAF handling of it. It means we can get can make a lot of very accurate assumptions now and it clears up a lot of stuff.

Pre-2004, Caster Semenya would have been completely banned from female competition for having a 46 XY profile. The reason 2004 is important is because that is the year which the IAAF gave leeway to MtF trans athletes to compete in the female division under certain criteria on hormone profiles and suppression of testosterone levels. They must have had an oh sh!t moment when they carried out that infamous gender test in 2009 and the result came back as 46 XY(a profile only present in genetic males) so in effect, had to abide by the criteria laid down for inclusion of MtF trans athletes who also shared that karotype which required hormone suppression. Semenya's case is a lot more ambiguous than MtF trans and some will say it is unfair to put her in the same category but if they gave her leeway to compete without hormone suppression, they would have set a dangerous precedent where all 46XY athletes would be able to do the same(This includes MtF trans athletes and biological males without any changes) where identity would rule the roost and anyone who identified as female would be allowed to compete. 

The actual issue that is present now is a direct relation of the IAAF giving trans athletes leeway to compete in the women's division because if they used chromosome profiles as the only demarcation, Caster Semenya would've been banned long ago for having a typical male chromosome profile.

Not to sound crude either, but a penis is just a clitoris that has been exposed to high levels of testosterone. That’s a really bad way to decide who competes where.

Candamir wrote: »
    Not to sound crude either, but a penis is just a clitoris that has been exposed to high levels of testosterone. That’s a really bad way to decide who competes where.

If a women goes on high dose testosterone, she grows a penis?

Women dossed up on hard roids like Trenbolone etc that raise test can have a surprise downstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Let me get this straight...

46 XY chromosomes
    Testosterone levels way outside any norm for women
    Male sex organs

Competes as female? Seriously? People think that's right or fair?

If a women goes on high dose testosterone, she grows a penis?

Women dossed up on hard roids like Trenbolone etc that raise test can have a surprise downstairs?

A female foetus XX exposed to testosterone will develop male genitalia. It’s really the absence of testosterone (or in the case of androgen insensitivity in an XY male foetus) that causes a foetus to develop as female.

And yes, even an adult female exposed to very high doses of testosterone will develop masculinising features. And an enlarged clitoris. Which may we’ll be a surprise if they weren’t expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

This thread has held up well compared with some of the nonsense spouted online on the same topic.
    As far as I can see it's a topic that has no good solution but the latest ruling might be the only satisfactory one.
    The fact that at the centre of the furore are real people with real emotions like anyone else, who have done absolutely nothing wrong is often lost.
    It's ironic, in a sport beset by doping problems, that the solution involves forcing athletes to take drugs..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ultrapercy wrote: »
    It's ironic, in a sport beset by doping problems, that the solution involves forcing athletes to take drugs..

And the more ironic part of it, this ruling allows another 800m female drug cheat a chance to win gold!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Let me get this straight...

46 XY chromosomes
    Testosterone levels way outside any norm for women
    Male sex organs

Competes as female? Seriously? People think that's right or fair?

Yep. People will androgen insensitivity syndrome have the biology of a male but their response to testosterone and its related compounds (androgens) is affected/impeded in some way so that they do not fully develop as males.

However, these people will generally be raised in society as women; some do not find out about their condition until they run into trouble having children. There are rumours that some famous female actors and supermodels are XY, as some of the common traits are height and striking, athletic features.

In my opinion there is a need to recognise that the venn diagram of people we accept as women in society and people who should be allowed compete as women in professional sports, is not necessarily a circle.

Advertisement