Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people supporting English football teams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

thingsthatdidnthappen.com

The Moores family were big donators to Thatchers Conservative party

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s down to accessibility, we had match of the day and occasional matches up to the early 90s when there was little Irish football on the tv then when the premiership came along we had no end of English football shown. It has probably reached saturation point but it’s not irrational we have for a long time had access to British tv and by extension their culture. We didn’t have much acres to other cultures for a long time after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

physioman wrote: »
    I just don't get it. Why are Irish people so fanatical about English football teams. I particularly laugh at the way they talk about individual players being loyal to particular teams. Do they really care about the fans or the 100k they are getting a week. ��

Been a fan of Liverpool since late 1980s when it had a number of Irish internationals........Staunton Whelan Aldridge Haughton .....

Add to that Rush Barnes Grobbelaar Molby Beardsley......and do on.

All those lads weren't on anything close to €100k a week.....maybe a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

From the most recent Republic of Ireland squad for the game v Gibraltar, 20 players are with English clubs, 1 with Wales and a single one with a League of Ireland side.

Growing up in the 80s you have very little live soccer on TV, what you did have was Match of the Day.
    The top English teams regularly featured Irish players - Moran, McGrath, Stapleton, Whelan, etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't have an issue with people supporting English teams really but there's a few things that irk me when this type of discussion comes up.

-''You don't shop at exclusively Irish shops do ya?''

Yeah that's not the same as supporting a football team though is it? You're hardly buzzing for Tesco away next weekend. It's a stupid argument. If you can equate grocery shopping to following a team, then you probably don't really get the concept of fandom.

-''Yeah but who do you really support?'' when you answer that you support Shels.

The thing is, the chap supporting Shels is probably literally supporting them financially and vocally every other week. He really is there really supporting them.

-''All them LOI heads are up snobs and up their own holes.''

Nah, in my experience any new fella or girl that's expressed an interest has been welcomed with open arms. Bohs have sold out every home fixture this season so far and will sell out vs Cork City tomorrow night too. This is due in part to a welcoming vibe at the club. The amount of new season ticket holders this season has been amazing. Besides, if you're new it's not as if anybody is gonna know and slate you for it. We're always delighted to have more people on board. Oh yeah, and 9/10 LOI fans follow the English League too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

What about all the English players who have played for the Irish national team down the years? Are Irish people allowed to support them or is it just English clubs they are not supposed to support?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Omackeral wrote: »

-''Yeah but who do you really support?'' when you answer that you support Shels.

I know a lad, Irish born and raised, who supports Borussia Dortmund since he was a kid simply because he liked their kit. As legitimate a reason as most have for supporting English teams. Yet he still gets the "who do you really support?" and ""Why would you watch that crap?" questions.

Lots of Irish peoples favourite Tv show is from UK too.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Lots of Irish peoples favourite Tv show is from UK too.

That's essentially what football is to a lot of Irish people in fairness, a TV show.

That's essentially what football is to a lot of Irish people in fairness, a TV show.

7 million people in Uk watch MOTD ... so the same applies to 90 percent of Uk also.

Given that almost all the top Irish players play in the Uk and have done so since the 1960s it is hardly surprising there is special attention paid to the game there.

20 million people in US watch live regular season american football games fwiw.

dan1895 wrote: »
    I know a lad, Irish born and raised, who supports Borussia Dortmund since he was a kid simply because he liked their kit. As legitimate a reason as most have for supporting English teams. Yet he still gets the "who do you really support?" and ""Why would you watch that crap?" questions.

He liked their kit? Interesting fashion sense!

7 million people in Uk watch MOTD ... so the same applies to 90 percent of Uk also.

Yeas but look at League One for example (third tier) and have a gander at their average attendances. The likes of Doncaster Rovers and Plymouth Argyle have thousands turning out to watch them every week. The people in the UK get out and back their teams as well as just watch on TV.
    Given that almost all the top Irish players play in the Uk and have done so since the 1960s it is hardly surprising there is special attention paid to the game there.

Never disputed that. I watch MOTD and FA Cup anytime I can too. Doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

I have no problem with people supporting English teams - I don't understand how they can feel connected to their chosen club though.

I follow the LOI and go to Galway United games regularly, because they're my local team and I feel a connection to them as I do with the Galway GAA teams and the Irish team.
    I don't feel that same connection watching Liverpool, Celtic or Barcelona - even though I do enjoy watching them on TV, but I don't care if they win or lose.

There are stickers in Terryland Park with the slogan 'sh*t but local' which sums it up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I love soccer but can't for the life of me understand how people can get so invested in teams that they have no links to.

If the people of Bournemouth and Huddersfield adopted the same attitude towards their teams as Irish people and supported Liverpool or Man United instead of the club in their own city where would they be?
    More than likely they'd be in the Conference rather than the Premier League.

People complain about the standard of the LOI but without support it can never progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I love soccer but can't for the life of me understand how people can get so invested in teams that they have no links to.

If the people of Bournemouth and Huddersfield adopted the same attitude towards their teams over the years as Irish people and supported Liverpool or Man United instead their clubs would be in the Conference rather than the Premier League.
    Wait are u saying that all liverpool and United are only from those cities? Big teams pull from all areas from England, it's why they ban 3pm kickoffs being on tv

People complain about the standard of the LOI but without support bit can never progress.

That's what gets me. If standard is the be-all and end-all as to why you actively ignore your own teams, then doesn't it stand to reason that you'd follow Argentina/Brazil/Spain over Ireland? After all, geographic location means nothing.

If standard is your only man, does that mean you'd give up on Liverpool (or Leeds, as it happened) if they slid down a division or two? If you say no, then your point is a bit moot.

For some people cheering for a team just cos they happen to be closest to you isnt a reason. I like Irish bands and being able to see them live more easily is a plus but if someone says their favourite band is english or american so what.
    Plus historically many English teams had the best Irish players so there was a link there. Celtic have links back to Ireland too.

I guess for some it is less about the local or tribal aspect of it and more about imprinting on a particular team playing the sport at a far higher level of skill and in a more glamorous environment or for higher stakes to what is available locally.

Historically in Ireland that environment has been british soccer given the media coverage of it and our exposure to uk tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If the people of Bournemouth and Huddersfield adopted the same attitude towards their teams as Irish people and supported Liverpool or Man United instead of the club in their own city where would they be?
    More than likely they'd be in the Conference rather than the Premier League.

Similarly, I've never understood why people feel automatically connected to the place the were born and grew up if it was a ****hole (in their own opinoins!)
    People complain about the standard of the LOI but without support it can never progress.

There are a lot more reasons than that: infrastructure and investment being two.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

For some people cheering for a team just cos they happen to be closest to you isnt a reason.

For most across the world it is. The reason these teams are names Bolton and Hull are because that's where they're based. That's generally who is in the stands supporting them, the people of those towns.
    I like Irish bands and being able to see them live more easily is a plus but if someone says their favourite band is english or american so what.

We differ greatly there because, to me, liking a band is a different animal to supporting a football team.
    I guess for some it is less about the local or tribal aspect of it and more about imprinting on a particular team playing the sport at a far higher level of skill and in a more glamorous environment or for higher stakes to what is available locally.

Imagine applying that to GAA. Ah I'm not gonna support Longford any more, I'm a Kerryman now. Tribalism be damned. It wouldn't happen.[/quote]
    Historically in Ireland that environment has been british soccer given the media coverage of it and our exposure to uk tv.

I agree with you there.

That's what gets me. If standard is the be-all and end-all as to why you actively ignore your own teams, then doesn't it stand to reason that you'd follow Argentina/Brazil/Spain over Ireland? After all, geographic location means nothing.

If standard is your only man, does that mean you'd give up on Liverpool (or Leeds, as it happened) if they slid down a division or two? If you say no, then your point is a bit moot.

Standard or style plays a part in what team you imprint on or follow when you start gettimg into a sport.
    But after a year you are married to that team and like pre divorce ireland you arenow stuck to them. You can separate but never again really follow another team.
    Thems the rules. I dont make em.

I have both sympathy and respect for those whose teams have fallen such as forest villa leeds and they stick with them in championship.

Standard or style plays a part in what team you imprint on or follow when you start gettimg into a sport.

Disagree. A 7 year old knows f*ck all about standard or style. More likely to like a colour of a jersey or a crest or your da telling you to like them.
    But after a year you are married to that team and like pre divorce ireland you arenow stuck to them. You can separate but never again really follow another team.
    Thems the rules. I dont make em.

I like Sheffield Wednesday when I was 8 because I got a shiny crest sticker of them back in the early 90's. Then I liked Man United because they always won. Then when I got older I noticed the scenes in the crowds when goals went in and thought to myself, I'd love to be in the middle of all that. You can have that every week at home... well unless you're Athlone or something :pac:

Imagine applying that to GAA. Ah I'm not gonna support Longford any more, I'm a Kerryman now. Tribalism be damned. It wouldn't happen.

County GAA is all about tribalism like international soccer. Even then one might find a longford kerry marriage which sees someone cheer for kerry except when playing longford and vice versa.

Soccer clubs are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

It can never progress as teams are too small minded and happy tipping away as it is. you need someone with a long term vision in charge. Merge the Dublin teams, even 4 is too many but it be a start.. Rename teams with town/city names, use county names and colours. Or use a name that unities local neighbouring counties. Rule that every team has to have 8 players from local area. No players owned by clubs, players owned by fai and money got from selling players abroad used on training/facilities.
    Either that or somehow join a Europe super league with 4 provincial teams.

County GAA is all about tribalism like international soccer. Even then one might find a longford kerry marriage which sees someone cheer for kerry except when playing longford and vice versa.

Soccer clubs are different.

You must not be familiar with the concept of derby games. Tribalism at its core.

Disagree. A 7 year old knows f*ck all about standard or style. More likely to like a colour of a jersey or a crest or your da telling you

I like Sheffield Wednesday when I was 8 because I got a shiny crest sticker of them back in the early 90's. Then I liked Man United because they always won. Then when I got older I noticed the scenes in the crowds when goals went in and thought to myself, I'd love to be in the middle of all that. You can have that every week at home... well unless you're Athlone or something :pac:

Yeah but why did the dad pick that team?
    The imprinting is a mysterious process but not totally random or colour related eg Man Utd and Liverpool would have same number of fans as Charlton and ditto Yeovil and Celtic.

I have lost all respect for you now. How could you abandon Sheffield Wednesday and Chris Waddle?
    You are allowed to like a succesful team but you have to stick with them when the inevitable happens.

Merge the Dublin teams, even 4 is too many but it be a start..

Who's gonna support these teams?!!? I would certainly not get into bed with a Shamrock Rovers fan. They'd be the same I'm sure. Why would you support a Dublin United but not give Bohs or Rovers a shot?
    Rename teams with town/city names, use county names and colours.

Already been done. The mighty Dublin City. They even had the county colours! Got about 60 to their games.

You must not be familiar with the concept of derby games. Tribalism at its core.

I can remember when Man Utd v Liverpool or Arsenal was a bigger deal than the local derby. You make your own rivalries to a certain extent.
    But of course there is a local aspect to the game in england which feeds into those rivalries especially with fans living in same cities. But it is nothing like international games in its tribalism.

• Advertisement

I have lost all respect for you now. How could you abandon Sheffield Wednesday and Chris Waddle?
    You are allowed to like a succesful team but you have to stick with them when the inevitable happens.

To be fair, I never abandoned Waddle and his glorious mullet. Rest easy there friend.

Advertisement